Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The history of Halloween

UM-Bot

halloween.jpg
Halloween's origins date back more than 2,000 years. On what we consider November 1, Europe's Celtic peoples celebrated their New Year's Day, called Samhain (SAH-win). The night before Samhain—what we know as Halloween—spirits were thought to walk the Earth as they traveled to the afterlife.

Fairies, demons, and other creatures were also said to be abroad.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: National Geographic

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• Siara

• PhoenixBird88

• Moonspectre

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems as though everything has been modified by the Christians. Im thankful for the separation of church and state.

linked-imageHalloween's origins date back more than 2,000 years. On what we consider November 1, Europe's Celtic peoples celebrated their New Year's Day, called Samhain (SAH-win). The night before Samhain—what we know as Halloween—spirits were thought to walk the Earth

Actually the Celts, like the Jews, believed that the new day started at sunset. The after sunset part of 10/31 ("Halloween") and the before sunset part of 11/1 ("All Saints Day") were considered one date. This doesn't have much to do with anything-- it's just interesting to see the same tradition (the day starts at sunset) in two unrelated cultures.

Is that why people say "put the horror back in Halloweeen"? Or is that because costumes and decorative items have become so corny? There's better places than Wal-mart to buy Halloween gear I'm sure.

Anyway, I heard something like on Halloween it's easier to talk to the dead. I'm gonna try it and probably be sorry lol. B)

• 3 weeks later...
Actually the Celts, like the Jews, believed that the new day started at sunset. The after sunset part of 10/31 ("Halloween") and the before sunset part of 11/1 ("All Saints Day") were considered one date. This doesn't have much to do with anything-- it's just interesting to see the same tradition (the day starts at sunset) in two unrelated cultures.

Makes more sense than the current calendar system we work with. We wouldn't need daylight savings time under that system.

Course my alarm clock wouldn't work very well either I guess... nevermind... that's a horrible idea...

I am half Celtic (welsh) and the other half Jewish, I do not know why the Celts chose to divide the day by evenings but I believe the reason it occurs in Judaism is because of the repeated analogue in Bereshit (genesis,) ie. 'and it was evening and it was morning, the first day etc.' Evening, precedes morning...

• 1 year later...

I myself being a Celtic-Wiccan and into traditionalism, Well my true new year is upon the Thirty-First of October. However I still celebrate christmas and the gregorian calendar new year. I like a mix of multi-culture, We should all co-exist in harmony. Sadly most people nowdays are full of hate and anger, Too much wars and not enough peace...