Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Top 50 Cryptids

Crai

http://www.lorencoleman.com/top_cryptids.html

Cryptids are the yet-to-be discovered animals or recovered supposedly extinct zoological species that are being sought by cryptozoologists, zoologists, anthropologists, and other researchers through fieldwork in the wild, reexaminations of specimens in zoological collections, and searches of archival materials. For me, it all started with the Abominable Snowman (see Yeti) in 1960, moved quickly to an awareness of a world filled with cryptids. Here's my list of the top fifty cryptids actively being investigated and pursued today.

Ahool

Giant unknown bats are reported to reside in a region of western Java, plus similar reports under different names from Vietnam and the Philippines; possibly known as Orang-bati in Seram, Indonesia.

Almas

Huge hairy Neanderthaloid or Homo erectus-like hominids sighted in various parts of Euroasia.

Agogwe

The Agogwe are little, human-like, hairy, bipeds reported consistently from the forests of Eastern Africa.

Andean Wolf

These unrecognized mountain dogs are seen in South America.

Arabhar

These unconfirmed flying snakes are located in the Arabian Sea region.

Barmanu

Reportedly strong, muscular, and hairy humanoids reported from the Shishi-kuh valley in Pakistan.

Beast of Bodmin (or Bodmin Moor)

Locally named mystery felids found in the United Kingdom.

Bergman's Bear

Possible unknown species of giant bear once roamed Eastern Asia, and still may.

Bili Ape

Giant chimpanzees appear to live in remote east Africa, where much evidence points to their existence, including photos, footprints and ground nests.

Birds-of-Paradise

Six species from New Guinea and surrounding islands, and a distinctive Long-Tailed Black Bird-of-Paradise from Goodenough Island are of interest to cryptozoology.

Black Panthers and Maned Mystery Cats

Sighting of large Black Panthers and seemingly "African Lions" with manes in the Midwest USA have law enforcement officials on the alert.

Blue Mountain panthers

These unknown cats reportedly live in the Blue Mountains of the east coast of Australia in the state of New South Wales.

Blue Tiger

These mystery felids are spotted in the Fujian Province, China, and are also filed under the name Black Tiger.

Bobo

Sea monsters of the North Pacific Ocean are frequently reported off Monterey Bay since the 1940s, and have been given this local name.

Buffalo Lion

East African maneless lions are said to be man-eaters, and may reflect some new genetic alignments, akin to the King Cheetah discoveries among cheetahs.

Buru

Fifteen foot long bluish ­black giant lizards were seen often in the swamps, lakes and foothills of the Himalayas, up through the 1940s, although they may be extinct now.

Caddy

These unknown Sea Serpents living off the coast of British Columbia are a popular figure in Canadian cryptozoology.

Champ

Giant prehistoric-looking creatures lurk in Lake Champlain, a 109 mile lake that borders New York, Vermont, and Ontario.

Chupacabras

Also called "Goatsuckers," these bizarre Caribbean and South American cryptids are five feet tall biped creatures with short grey hair that have spiked hair and reported drain the blood through throat punctures of the livestock they kill.

Ebu Gogo

Three feet tall, hairy little people with pot bellies and long arms sighted on the island of Flores, Indonesia. Tiny females are said to have long, pendulous breasts.

Giant Anaconda

Reports have been made of 100 feet long snakes on the Rio Negro of the Amazon River basin.

Giant Octopus

The Blue Holes of Bimini, offer many sightings of these unknown huge, many-tentacled animals.

Giant Sloth

Weighing up to 3 tons, these supposedly extinct animals have been reported in South America in contemporary times.

Globsters

Strange looking giant creatures (also called blobs) wash up on the beaches of the world, get the media and scientists excited, and sometimes turn out to be "unknowns."

Honey Island Swamp Monster

Reportedly these "Swamp Thing" monsters are seen in the Louisiana swamps.

Jersey Devil

This regionalized name hides these creatures that have been haunting the New Jersey Pineland forest for over 260 years.

Kongamato

The natives of the Jiundu region of Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia) have firsthand encounters with these strange flying bat-like creatures.

Lake Storsjon Monster

Lake Seljord in the Telemark region of Norway has its own Lake Monsters swimming the waters here for centuries.

Lau

Are certain African lakes the home to 40 feet long unknown catfishes or lungfishes?

Loch Ness Monster

Nessie is the most famous Lake Monster in the world; they are said to inhabit this loch, an extremely deep Scottish lake.

MacFarlane's Bear

The carcass is at the Smithsonian, believed to be a possible hybrid between a grizzly and polar bear. Or an new unknown species.

Mngwa

The Mngwa are cats described as being as large as donkeys, with marks like a tabby and living in Africa - but not a known species.

Mokele-Mbembe

For over two hundred years there have been reports of living Sauropods (dinosaur) in the remote Congo area of Africa. They may being confused with accounts of other local cryptids, aquatic rhinos.

Mongolian Death Worm

Locals in the Gobi Desert of Mongolia talk of these giant snakes, worms, or long thin lizards (also called Olgoi-khorkhoi or Allghoi-khorkhoi) as killing livestock and people with their breath.

Mothman

A local name for giant owls (also called Bighoot) which has been sighted for over 100 years in West Virginia-Ohio area, and elsewhere in North America.

Ogopogo

This is Canada's most famous type of water monsters, inhabitants of Lake Okanagan in the south central interior of British Columbia.

Orang-Pendak

These reportedly small biped small apes (also called Sedapa) live in the jungles of Sumatra and Borneo.

Peruvian Mystery Jaguar

Unknown large cats with white background covered in solid irregular spots are seen in the rainforests of Peru.

Skunk Ape

Also known by the label Myakka "Ape" and other local names (Booger, Swamp Ape), these chimpanzee- or orangutan-like primates have been sighted throughout central and south Florida.

Steller's Sea Cow

A once thought extinct species, these totally marine animals, looking like huge, wrinkled manatees, and are still being seen by Russian fisherman.

Tasmanian Tiger or Thylacine

Thought extinct, these wolf-like marsupials are still sighted on a regular basis in Western Australia, and perhaps New Guinea too.

Tazelwurm

Classic small log-shaped reptilian cryptids from the European Alps are enigmatic animals, but have they gone extinct in historical times?

Thunderbird

Large condor-like birds, perhaps Teratorns, roam the skies of North America, along regular migration routes.

Tzuchinoko

Unknown species of snake sighted in the upper elevations of Korea and Japan.

Ucu

The South American Bigfoot live mainly in the Andean foothills.

Waitoreke

These strange unknown otter-like beasts are seen in New Zealand, and as yet undiscovered.

Xing-Xing

This is a specific regional name, from southern China, for small unknown apes.

Yeren

The Chinese Wildmen are reddish, semi-bipedal, and often encountered by locals and government officials along rural roads.

Yeti

Yeti, unknown rock apes, are creatures reported as crossing the Himalayan plateaus and living in the valley forests. There is not just "one" Abominable Snowman, and they are no "white."

Yowie

These tall hairy unknown hominoids are sighted throughout several remote areas of Australia

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• makaya325

• Undeadskeptic

• Crai

• psyche101

i had never even heard of some of those however i'm not convinced by the authors scientific rigour as 'huge homo erectus like' is an oxymoron, homo erectus was smaller than we are.

some of them are pretty interesting though, i think things like the giant lungfish/catfish are very plausible.

Waitoreke

These strange unknown otter-like beasts are seen in New Zealand, and as yet undiscovered.

:yes: A very odd beast indeed

:yes: A very odd beast indeed

it seems to me that things like this were probably just a very rare animal that went extinct before its existence was conclusively proven and sadly we will never know them in the flesh.

ive never heard of most of these

thanks!

i'm glad you're enjoying it

i never thought there were so many either, but i researched cryptids because i'm very interested

some of these"cryptids" arent cryptids at all, creatures that identically match their appearance are found in the fossil record, its whether they live today, and i would agree most cryptids are not relicts, but in fact misidentifications/hoaxes/unknown species

some of these"cryptids" arent cryptids at all, creatures that identically match their appearance are found in the fossil record, its whether they live today, and i would agree most cryptids are not relicts, but in fact misidentifications/hoaxes/unknown species

I would love to see people investigating Feary Dogs. Or Cu Sith, as they are also called.

no Trunko???

I was just about to say the same thing.

Bergman's Bear

Possible unknown species of giant bear once roamed Eastern Asia, and still may.

The God Bear. There was a show on Discovery Channel I think.

Bili Ape

Giant chimpanzees appear to live in remote east Africa, where much evidence points to their existence, including photos, footprints and ground nests.

How old is this link? Weren't the Bili Apes confirmed to be genetically a sub-species of Chimpanzee?

Giant Sloth

Weighing up to 3 tons, these supposedly extinct animals have been reported in South America in contemporary times.

I've heard of these being seen around Patagonia, and it the nearby forested areas.

MacFarlane's Bear

The carcass is at the Smithsonian, believed to be a possible hybrid between a grizzly and polar bear. Or an new unknown species.

I'm pretty sure that this was determined to be a polar bear/ grizzy bear hybrid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacFarlane's_Bear

Steller's Sea Cow

A once thought extinct species, these totally marine animals, looking like huge, wrinkled manatees, and are still being seen by Russian fisherman.

I did not know people were still reporting these. Cool.

http://explorenorth.com/library/yafeatures/bl-seacow.htm

Tasmanian Tiger or Thylacine

Thought extinct, these wolf-like marsupials are still sighted on a regular basis in Western Australia, and perhaps New Guinea too.

I think it is entirely possible these are still running around. There are even some photos that could be a Taz Tiger, but like most cyrpto-pics it does not show enough and is blurry. Dang crypto animals need to stand still.

Looks like they want to clone the Taz Tiger.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1392...ives-again.html

The God Bear. There was a show on Discovery Channel I think.

How old is this link? Weren't the Bili Apes confirmed to be genetically a sub-species of Chimpanzee?

I've heard of these being seen around Patagonia, and it the nearby forested areas.

I'm pretty sure that this was determined to be a polar bear/ grizzy bear hybrid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacFarlane's_Bear

I did not know people were still reporting these. Cool.

http://explorenorth.com/library/yafeatures/bl-seacow.htm

I think it is entirely possible these are still running around. There are even some photos that could be a Taz Tiger, but like most cyrpto-pics it does not show enough and is blurry. Dang crypto animals need to stand still.

Looks like they want to clone the Taz Tiger.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1392...ives-again.html

I never said they were real, I just thought the list was interesting

oh yeah, they all are interesting, yet i dont think its fair to lump cryptozoology with fairies, esp, ufo's, and pseudoscience, its a bad analogy

oh yeah, they all are interesting, yet i dont think its fair to lump cryptozoology with fairies, esp, ufo's, and pseudoscience, its a bad analogy

I did not 'lump' cryptozoology with fairies and all of that.

You have no evidence against this, and I have no evidence for it.

Perhaps I should've stated this in urban legends or stated on this topic that I don't believe them to be real or unreal.

Please stop saying things aren't real when they very well may be(fairies, ufo's, such things).

I did not 'lump' cryptozoology with fairies and all of that.

You have no evidence against this, and I have no evidence for it.

Perhaps I should've stated this in urban legends or stated on this topic that I don't believe them to be real or unreal.

Please stop saying things aren't real when they very well may be(fairies, ufo's, such things).

cryptozoology should have better respectibility than the quacky fake sciences, and no, faires are probably not real, what am i saying, theyre not real!

cryptozoology should have better respectibility than the quacky fake sciences, and no, faires are probably not real, what am i saying, theyre not real!

i respect cryptozoology and i'm sorry i 'lumped'

i respect cryptozoology and i'm sorry i 'lumped'

no need to apologize, i was just critical when people lump things they know nothing about with things we know arent real, like fairies

Cryptozoology is just as silly and unbelievable as fairies and ufos.

In most respects we have no evidence for individual cryptids and a lot of evidence against them today.

MacFarlane's Bear

They've been saying lately there's been more polar bears going further south so hybrid seems reasonable. I was watching something on it on discovery a few weeks back I think it was.

Another one that's reasonably unknown is Arulataq. It seems to be another Bigfoot sighting in Alaska. I've heard a few friends talk about it, one said that it jumped over a house (If the snow was unreasonably deep like it was in 95 I think it was, that would be a possibility.)

Another friend said that she saw one pick up a bail of hay (The large rolls) and throw it 100 yards. Not sure if that one's actually true or not.

http://www.lorencoleman.com/top_cryptids.html

Cryptids are the yet-to-be discovered animals or recovered supposedly extinct zoological species that are being sought by cryptozoologists, zoologists, anthropologists, and other researchers through fieldwork in the wild, reexaminations of specimens in zoological collections, and searches of archival materials. For me, it all started with the Abominable Snowman (see Yeti) in 1960, moved quickly to an awareness of a world filled with cryptids. Here's my list of the top fifty cryptids actively being investigated and pursued today.

Ahool

Giant unknown bats are reported to reside in a region of western Java, plus similar reports under different names from Vietnam and the Philippines; possibly known as Orang-bati in Seram, Indonesia.

Almas

Huge hairy Neanderthaloid or Homo erectus-like hominids sighted in various parts of Euroasia.

Agogwe

*cut for space*

Yeren

The Chinese Wildmen are reddish, semi-bipedal, and often encountered by locals and government officials along rural roads.

Yeti

Yeti, unknown rock apes, are creatures reported as crossing the Himalayan plateaus and living in the valley forests. There is not just "one" Abominable Snowman, and they are no "white."

Yowie

These tall hairy unknown hominoids are sighted throughout several remote areas of Australia

Wow, that certainly covers a large portion. Enough to start a few threads for sure. Nice work. Perfect spot - Cyrptozoology is for Cryptids confirmed or not :tu:

The Bili Ape still offers much study, much is to be learned, they have been reported to walk bipedal at times. The far North Congo is a tough place to access for information.

The Buru sounds interesting. Bird of Paradise' sound quite plausible and I always liked the Ahool legend, it too seems quite plausible to me.

Edited by psyche101

MacFarlane's Bear

They've been saying lately there's been more polar bears going further south so hybrid seems reasonable. I was watching something on it on discovery a few weeks back I think it was.

Another one that's reasonably unknown is Arulataq. It seems to be another Bigfoot sighting in Alaska. I've heard a few friends talk about it, one said that it jumped over a house (If the snow was unreasonably deep like it was in 95 I think it was, that would be a possibility.)

Another friend said that she saw one pick up a bail of hay (The large rolls) and throw it 100 yards. Not sure if that one's actually true or not.

A Hybrid in the Wild was confirmed some time ago, - Photo in the News: Polar Bear-Grizzly Hybrid Discovered

Cryptozoology is just as silly and unbelievable as fairies and ufos.

In most respects we have no evidence for individual cryptids and a lot of evidence against them today.

its definitely not as silly as those 2. we have all sorts of evidence to either suggest their existence or warrant further investigation, its just that people are too lazy and sluggish to venture into unknown territory where these things live