Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Random Vibrations in bed

Resonance

Okay, this may sound far fetched, but here goes. Sometimes when i'm going to sleep, my girlfriend and I will be laying in bed, and the bed will start to vibrate. Not like, "OMG WTF! IT's SHAKING!"... But, it's almost like a cell phone vibrate, except it's the whole bed. My bed is a normal spring queen size mattress, with evertyhing a normal bed has. Nothing special at all. Just sometimes, i'll be laying there with my eyes open, or even closed, and the bed will vibrate for about 5 seconds, and then stop! Nothing around my bed is electronic, other than alarm clock, and it's on the night stand.

I figured i'd just post this, in a change to maybe get some input. I think maybe, ( i haven't done any research at all on AP, but i think it might be Astral Projection). I know that i've been able to concentrate hard enough to project my thoughts to wherever i want, and see and feel and hear things (Who knows if they're just in my head though). But, it's a weird experience.

We'll lay there, and sometimes even 3 times throughout the night, the bed with just vibrate. For no reason!

Any ideas guys?

[/quote

About 10 years ago or so I had a similiar experience but it was dramatic. I was almost to sleep and was awoken by my bed shaking fiercely! It felt just like somone jumped onto my bed full force then started jumping on my bed. I sat up immediately and ran, not walked, but ran outside! Then I had to go back inside and was quite scared ;-) I have no idea what that was! I've also had a moment where I was sitting on the side of my bed puting shoes on and it felt like someone sat down right next to me.

My own guess would have been that one of your neighbors are playing music with the bass way up. Happens to me, and sometimes the music is so low I have to strain my ears to hear it.

But then I read how far away you live from everything, so it's probably not that. Sorry, I'm stomped. :blush:

• 2 months later...
My own guess would have been that one of your neighbors are playing music with the bass way up. Happens to me, and sometimes the music is so low I have to strain my ears to hear it.

But then I read how far away you live from everything, so it's probably not that. Sorry, I'm stomped. :blush:

Well, it's been a while since i've posted on this thread, but last night, the reoccuring vibrations started again!

It was basically the same way as normal, I was just laying there by myself, on my back. The bed started to vibrate just like a cell phone, only this time, I jumped up and started to deduce what could be causing it. I ruled out all electrical, physical, basically everything that could logically be causing it. Nothing was near the bed, on the bed, or anything. Now remember, I live in a basement with no plumbing under or around my bed, the walls are all cement, and my bed sits on the floor, with no frame. Therefore ruling out, plumbing and any type of anything under the bed.

I still have yet to come up with a reasonable explanation for this, and I really hope someone can help me.

If it helps any, i'll take a couple pictures of my room, so that you can see that there's absolutely nothing that could be causing this....

Anyone mind trying to explain?

I figured i'd just post this, in a change to maybe get some input. I think maybe, ( i haven't done any research at all on AP, but i think it might be Astral Projection). I know that i've been able to concentrate hard enough to project my thoughts to wherever i want, and see and feel and hear things (Who knows if they're just in my head though). But, it's a weird experience.

Your post immediately caught my eye since I experienced a similar phenomena just last night. In my case I woke from sleep to find my bed shaking as if someone was jumping up and down on the bed next to me. Freaked me out a bit at first, but eventually it went away. Its interesting because I had just started practicing astral projection techniques the day before, and of course this vibration is reported to be common during projection. I wasn't even attempting to project at that time, but its hard to imagine it isn't linked. Also, this has never happened to me before.

I'm curious, would you say your projections are more like full astral projection or just remote viewing? Maybe this practice of yours caused a spontaneous projection/partial projection similar to what I believe may have happened to me.

Your post immediately caught my eye since I experienced a similar phenomena just last night. In my case I woke from sleep to find my bed shaking as if someone was jumping up and down on the bed next to me. Freaked me out a bit at first, but eventually it went away. Its interesting because I had just started practicing astral projection techniques the day before, and of course this vibration is reported to be common during projection. I wasn't even attempting to project at that time, but its hard to imagine it isn't linked. Also, this has never happened to me before.

I'm curious, would you say your projections are more like full astral projection or just remote viewing? Maybe this practice of yours caused a spontaneous projection/partial projection similar to what I believe may have happened to me.

Well, I would agree with you here, but the vibrations started long before I ever knew about AP. =/

I would love to think they coincide though. :)

Stomped? Somebody jammed their foot on you several times? I think you mean stumped.

People, all it is, is small random earthquakes. They happen all the time everywhere.

The same thing has happened to me as well. It was freaking me out for a while, because just as you said, it would only last mere seconds. It was different enough though for you to know the difference between a passing truck on a road nearby, a small earthquake, the box springs shifting, ect...

I had a good opinion from a friend of mine though. What I was told, the cause could be what is called a 'Hypnagogic Myoclonic Twitch'. It has something to do with the nervous system, similar to when your leg jerks for no reason while laying down. While it mainly happens right before you fall asleep, it has been known to happen to individuals who are in an increased relaxed state. It could be such a small reaction throughout your whole body that it could cause the sensation of your bed shaking. Just a thought. Don't know too much about it, but it may be worth looking into before any paranormal ideas.

~Twilight

* Not to count out the paranormal aspects of course, but I always try and think rationally. When that can't be explained...... :P Have you been sleeping on a regular pattern?

::small edit for the end::

Edited by TwilightSilver

The same thing has happened to me as well. It was freaking me out for a while, because just as you said, it would only last mere seconds. It was different enough though for you to know the difference between a passing truck on a road nearby, a small earthquake, the box springs shifting, ect...

I had a good opinion from a friend of mine though. What I was told, the cause could be what is called a 'Hypnagogic Myoclonic Twitch'. It has something to do with the nervous system, similar to when your leg jerks for no reason while laying down. While it mainly happens right before you fall asleep, it has been known to happen to individuals who are in an increased relaxed state. It could be such a small reaction throughout your whole body that it could cause the sensation of your bed shaking. Just a thought. Don't know too much about it, but it may be worth looking into before any paranormal ideas.

~Twilight

* Not to count out the paranormal aspects of course, but I always try and think rationally. When that can't be explained...... :P Have you been sleeping on a regular pattern?

::small edit for the end::

Yes, normal sleep habits.

I'm not looking for a paranormal response, just a good explanation. I will look further into the Hypnagogic Twitch idea, i've already researched a lot on that subject, it was my initial thought.

i know the vibration you speak of. I can tell by the way you describe it.

I used to have this a lot as a kid, and throughout my life I have had different ideahs about what it was.

I used to think it was ghosts trying to scare me (when I was 5)

I thought it was body twitches for awhile, but I don't think that now.

Sometimes other people do notice it, but mostly no one notices but me.

I had forgotten all about these experiences, but they have been starting back up. weird ehh?

My bed is a box spring, on top of carpet, with a mattress on that. I have tried moving in short little twitches to make the vibration (shaking) thing happen, but I can't recreate it myself.

To this day I can't figure out what it is. And it doesn't seem to relate to any other subjects or other strange experiences in my life which I have many.

For me it lasts usually around 4 seconds, but on a few occasions it has been up to 20 seconds.

I thought it was just in my head, because I used to disascociate from my body, and would not be able to tell what I was shapped like or how big I was, or which way I was oriented. Sometimes I would vibrate myself in that state...

But other people sometimes feel it. And it's my bed not my body that is moving, so I don't think it's in my head.

BUT what the heck is it????

i know the vibration you speak of. I can tell by the way you describe it.

I used to have this a lot as a kid, and throughout my life I have had different ideahs about what it was.

I used to think it was ghosts trying to scare me (when I was 5)

I thought it was body twitches for awhile, but I don't think that now.

Sometimes other people do notice it, but mostly no one notices but me.

I had forgotten all about these experiences, but they have been starting back up. weird ehh?

My bed is a box spring, on top of carpet, with a mattress on that. I have tried moving in short little twitches to make the vibration (shaking) thing happen, but I can't recreate it myself.

To this day I can't figure out what it is. And it doesn't seem to relate to any other subjects or other strange experiences in my life which I have many.

For me it lasts usually around 4 seconds, but on a few occasions it has been up to 20 seconds.

I thought it was just in my head, because I used to disascociate from my body, and would not be able to tell what I was shapped like or how big I was, or which way I was oriented. Sometimes I would vibrate myself in that state...

But other people sometimes feel it. And it's my bed not my body that is moving, so I don't think it's in my head.

BUT what the heck is it????

Yes, it's one of those things you have to experience yourself. I don't know how to explain it, but twitching is the only 'logical' explanation i can think of.

I wish it were that, but I know it really isn't. You used to think it was ghosts also? That's amazing. That's what I first thought it could be.

I think this may just go unexplained till it occurs again to me, and I can rule out completely, all outside sources. Then, if it happens again, I can then have my girlfriend look me over to rule out all biological sources. After all of which is ruled out, I will then start searching for possible electromagnetic anomolies surrounding myself.... If all is ruled out, I have no further ways to explain this away.

Okay, this may sound far fetched, but here goes. Sometimes when i'm going to sleep, my girlfriend and I will be laying in bed, and the bed will start to vibrate. Not like, "OMG WTF! IT's SHAKING!"... But, it's almost like a cell phone vibrate, except it's the whole bed. My bed is a normal spring queen size mattress, with evertyhing a normal bed has. Nothing special at all. Just sometimes, i'll be laying there with my eyes open, or even closed, and the bed will vibrate for about 5 seconds, and then stop! Nothing around my bed is electronic, other than alarm clock, and it's on the night stand.

We'll lay there, and sometimes even 3 times throughout the night, the bed with just vibrate. For no reason!

Any ideas guys?

perhaps it's your well pump or water pump, or heater kicking on.....that might cause vibrations in the structure of the house, including the floor that your bed is on...which might cause the bed to "tremble" slightly.

Another possability would be traffic, cars trains etc......i live near a main road and when semis go by they hit a bump in front of my house & it rattle the whole house...including the bed. But if it last like 5 seconds it is more likely a pump.

If none of these...it could be a lot of paranormal things.

perhaps it's your well pump or water pump, or heater kicking on.....that might cause vibrations in the structure of the house, including the floor that your bed is on...which might cause the bed to "tremble" slightly.

Another possability would be traffic, cars trains etc......i live near a main road and when semis go by they hit a bump in front of my house & it rattle the whole house...including the bed. But if it last like 5 seconds it is more likely a pump.

If none of these...it could be a lot of paranormal things.

Well, the 'well pump' idea, I would say, is the only explanation that would fit with my settings. I have a cement floor (basement), no cars drive near our place, (out in the middle of bumF|_|ck egypt), no heater to speak of, downstairs at least.

Lots of ideas for paranormal explanations. What might yours be?

Yes, it's one of those things you have to experience yourself. I don't know how to explain it, but twitching is the only 'logical' explanation i can think of.

I wish it were that, but I know it really isn't. You used to think it was ghosts also? That's amazing. That's what I first thought it could be.

I think this may just go unexplained till it occurs again to me, and I can rule out completely, all outside sources. Then, if it happens again, I can then have my girlfriend look me over to rule out all biological sources. After all of which is ruled out, I will then start searching for possible electromagnetic anomolies surrounding myself.... If all is ruled out, I have no further ways to explain this away.

Like most of the strange things that happen to me, this experience follows me. It's not connected to a certain room, a certain house, a certain thought pattern, certain beliefs or anything like that.

I do notice that people who say things like I do, and people who have these strange experiences like I do, and people who think like I do,

all have some similarities.

It's almost all people who became awakened by the good smoke.

It's people who meditate,

it's people who feel that this physical world is but a fraction of the whole.

It's people who have trouble with staying completely permanent in their body.

I wonder if I just started out less connected to this physical world than most people are??

When I was 4 I had experiences with ghosts and god, and not having a body...

I used to think I was the only one who was here, like I was in a giant experiment, and everyone else was in on it.

Well, the 'well pump' idea, I would say, is the only explanation that would fit with my settings. I have a cement floor (basement), no cars drive near our place, (out in the middle of bumF|_|ck egypt), no heater to speak of, downstairs at least.

Lots of ideas for paranormal explanations. What might yours be?

maybe poltregiest activity or an intellegent haunting that just likes to **** with people....but i think the posters have it pegged with astral projection.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there. This is my first post here but it's exactly this subject that helped me find this site as I was searching to see if others experience this phenomenon also. It just happened to me last night but it has been reoccurring since childhood and this is actually the first time I've thought about looking into it.

I understand completely what you are talking about! It's not like a full body "twitch" that may occur as associated with Hypnagogic Myoclonic Twitch. It's more of a humming vibration throughout the entire body. I used to think it was maybe from cars or semi's outside my house but it will happen in the still of the night when the road is free of all traffic. I've had this happen at multiple homes as well. In houses and apartments and townhouses. I slept in the basement in the townhouse. I sleep on a waterbed and have done so since I was a child, but I have experienced this on that bed and normal box spring beds as well. I've noticed that lately it seems to mostly happen while lying on my back, but I will sometimes turn on my side when it begins to see if it goes away but the sensation still persists. I have sat up in bed and could still feel it throughout my entire body. I live alone and sleep alone so the explanation of somebody else causing it doesn't fit me. The only electronic device in the room is my alarm clock, which does not vibrate.

I had never even associated this with Astral Projection before but while looking the subject up on Google it seems that many people believe there is something to that. Can't say that I've ever experienced that though. At least I don't think I have. Although reading your first post, t did make me wonder if I have. I can sometimes sit and concentrate on something that is lost and feel like my body's moving to where it may be, then I physically get up and go look there and usually seem to find what I was looking for. I also quit using a radar detector in my car years ago because I found that if I concentrated just slightly enough I could tell where the police were hiding on the roads before the detector could ever go off. I have since discovered my brother claims to be able to do the same thing.

As far as the vibrations thing goes though I am just as much at a loss for an explanation as you are. Hence my searching the web on this subject today. I just wonder if maybe we share any other similarities. Such as are you affected by magnets at all? Not small refrigerator type magnets but larger and stronger ones? I get physically ill while holding magnets and have come close to passing out while doing so. Kinda always thought maybe I just have a high count of iron in my blood or something and maybe it moves my blood to that area or something, but I cannot say for sure. I also seem to have many symptoms associated with Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity and have wondered if maybe that could be the cause of the vibrations. Electronic devices seem to die fast around me. I get shocked on everything, including rubber objects. Street lights around my home seem to never work properly or will come on or go off as I pass under them. The one right outside my work now does the same thing. Last summer the city put a notice on my door saying they needed to come into my home and inspect it because apparently my home was giving off a high RF signal that they claimed was interfering with police communication and air traffic control. They sent out a Comcast employee who had this gun type thing that had big antennas off the sides of it and he searched through the house and fixed a few wires in my home by just replacing the connections on them. He claimed he was still getting a high signal after checking all the electronic devices in my home so kinda on a whim he jokingly pointed the antenna thing at me and he just said "Oh my.." He claimed the signal seemed to spike when he pointed it at me but he had no explanation for that and quite frankly, neither do I.

So anyway, I just wondered if maybe you've ever experienced anything associated with Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity to see if maybe that might be the link to it. Of course that's also something pretty much unexplained as well, but maybe could be part of a bigger picture here.

So anyway, I just wondered if maybe you've ever experienced anything associated with Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity to see if maybe that might be the link to it. Of course that's also something pretty much unexplained as well, but maybe could be part of a bigger picture here.

I have experience this, but let me give you some examples so I am sure we are talking about the same thing:

think the tone is the energy (vibrations) inside/around us. I am used to feeling energy flow through me. When I make the tone higher/louder, I feel more energy flowing through me. There are times I have less energy flowing, which makes it impossible to get the vibrations for astral projection, and makes it hard to meditate deeply.

drinking coke and coffee seem to weaken the buzzing/energy.

Anything with lots of sugar,

ciggarettes,

and alcohol.

I have also noticed that when you use drugs you have tons of energy flowing through you while you are under the influence. Afterwards you are drained, because that energy was used up. I think a big part of drugs is releasing large amounts of energy for imediate use...

this all comes from my personal observation of course, so I don't expect anyone to just trust me.

Everyone has the tone; it is not supernatural, It is natural just unexplored. It might not serve any particular purpose, and could just be a bi-product of the energy that I can feel flowing.

YES TVs!! those things have a simmilar (yet insanely anoying) sound as the buzzing in my head. some people act like they can't hear it while it is driving me insane. I stopped watching tv, except to see important things. I think it has to be a CRT and not LCD, I have never heard an LCD make any sound...

you can also "hear" other peoples buzzing if you know how to alter your consciousness a little. Again focus on the buzzing and make it higher pitched. You can then sense where other people are in the room with your eyes closed or in the dark. They all buzz pretty loudly when you are facing them.

oh and don't focus on the buzz while standing unless you know how it will affect you. I fell down some stairs on my way to the kitchen because I was focusing on it. I like the sound; it comforts me. I instantly tranced, lost my balance, and took a nose dive down three steps.

After I started meditating I got a "ringing" In my brain. Or atleast the center of my skull which I assume is my brain lol original.gif I can make it really really loud. It even puts me in trances if I focus on it. It can make me feel like I am very high aswell.

As far as TVs go I havent watched TV in about 6 months. I cant stand to anymore. That high pitched buzzing you guys are all talking about when you have the TV muted really really gets to me. I can tell if any TVs in the entire house are on. And I go around turning em off hehe... Radios too. Radios don't bother me though.

I seemed to be blocked by electromagnetic waves from feeling my own energy, whatever it may be...

Edited by muddyfrog

hmm

I am in the same position as you. the bed shakes. i try and do the same abruptly, but it never fits exactly.

because I'm psychic, I have to think of spirits messing around. so I white light. it never happens more than once though, if I tell em to shut up etc...

maybe you are feeling an earthquake near by or something?

remember there was an earthquake in milton keynes or somewhere? well I was far away from it, but the house still shook. i was the only one that woke up from it...

Hey there. This is my first post here but it's exactly this subject that helped me find this site as I was searching to see if others experience this phenomenon also. It just happened to me last night but it has been reoccurring since childhood and this is actually the first time I've thought about looking into it.

I understand completely what you are talking about! It's not like a full body "twitch" that may occur as associated with Hypnagogic Myoclonic Twitch. It's more of a humming vibration throughout the entire body. I used to think it was maybe from cars or semi's outside my house but it will happen in the still of the night when the road is free of all traffic. I've had this happen at multiple homes as well. In houses and apartments and townhouses. I slept in the basement in the townhouse. I sleep on a waterbed and have done so since I was a child, but I have experienced this on that bed and normal box spring beds as well. I've noticed that lately it seems to mostly happen while lying on my back, but I will sometimes turn on my side when it begins to see if it goes away but the sensation still persists. I have sat up in bed and could still feel it throughout my entire body. I live alone and sleep alone so the explanation of somebody else causing it doesn't fit me. The only electronic device in the room is my alarm clock, which does not vibrate.

I had never even associated this with Astral Projection before but while looking the subject up on Google it seems that many people believe there is something to that. Can't say that I've ever experienced that though. At least I don't think I have. Although reading your first post, t did make me wonder if I have. I can sometimes sit and concentrate on something that is lost and feel like my body's moving to where it may be, then I physically get up and go look there and usually seem to find what I was looking for. I also quit using a radar detector in my car years ago because I found that if I concentrated just slightly enough I could tell where the police were hiding on the roads before the detector could ever go off. I have since discovered my brother claims to be able to do the same thing.

As far as the vibrations thing goes though I am just as much at a loss for an explanation as you are. Hence my searching the web on this subject today. I just wonder if maybe we share any other similarities. Such as are you affected by magnets at all? Not small refrigerator type magnets but larger and stronger ones? I get physically ill while holding magnets and have come close to passing out while doing so. Kinda always thought maybe I just have a high count of iron in my blood or something and maybe it moves my blood to that area or something, but I cannot say for sure. I also seem to have many symptoms associated with Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity and have wondered if maybe that could be the cause of the vibrations. Electronic devices seem to die fast around me. I get shocked on everything, including rubber objects. Street lights around my home seem to never work properly or will come on or go off as I pass under them. The one right outside my work now does the same thing. Last summer the city put a notice on my door saying they needed to come into my home and inspect it because apparently my home was giving off a high RF signal that they claimed was interfering with police communication and air traffic control. They sent out a Comcast employee who had this gun type thing that had big antennas off the sides of it and he searched through the house and fixed a few wires in my home by just replacing the connections on them. He claimed he was still getting a high signal after checking all the electronic devices in my home so kinda on a whim he jokingly pointed the antenna thing at me and he just said "Oh my.." He claimed the signal seemed to spike when he pointed it at me but he had no explanation for that and quite frankly, neither do I.

Well, the street light thing, is definitely one thing we have in common.

Every day after work, I drive home, and 1 by 1 each street light will turn off as I drive through them. Now, this doesn't happen EVERY single time I drive home, but at least 1 light 'will' turn off as I drive under it. I've wondered about this also, as if there were any correlation between the two.

hmm

I am in the same position as you. the bed shakes. i try and do the same abruptly, but it never fits exactly.

because I'm psychic, I have to think of spirits messing around. so I white light. it never happens more than once though, if I tell em to shut up etc...

maybe you are feeling an earthquake near by or something?

remember there was an earthquake in milton keynes or somewhere? well I was far away from it, but the house still shook. i was the only one that woke up from it...

I've already explained away earthquakes.

Too many occurances that didn't coincide with any report of an earthquake.

hmm

well I'm not sensing any spirits..

I don't think it is astral projection. astral projection really hurts....

hmm

well I'm not sensing any spirits..

I don't think it is astral projection. astral projection really hurts....

AP does NOT hurt.

At least, for me.

• Like 1

That happened to me a couple of years ago. The bed was vibrating, and I was half asleep so I thought I was "feeling things". After I got up, I heard that there had been an earthquake, something that just doesn't happen where I'm from --in my lifetime, anyway!

That happened to me a couple of years ago. The bed was vibrating, and I was half asleep so I thought I was "feeling things". After I got up, I heard that there had been an earthquake, something that just doesn't happen where I'm from --in my lifetime, anyway!

Again, an interesting story. Yet, there is no correlation between what i'm talking about, and earthquakes.

Already explained away the idea of earthquakes.