Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saru

Cryptoozology, Myths and Legends

6 posts in this topic

I've extended the title of this board to include mythical creatures and legends as well as Crytpozoology. A lot of modern Cryptozoological mysteries are linked to myths and legends, many strange creatures that have been sighted for centuries in some parts of the world have become legends amongst the local population.

Famous cryptids such as the Yeti are believed to have magical properties about them, the people of Tibet believe them to be almost spiritual beings. In most cases it's difficult to determine whether an alleged cryptid is a real animal, or simply a part of local legend that's been passed down over the ages.

Here's a question... with so many yeti relics being analyzed, do you think it is helpful or harmful to analyze yeti relics that reside in local temples?

Mr. Underhill,

I don't think it is harmful as such, but I don't think examining Yeti relics is particularly helpful. Most of them are not from Yetis - I think every single relic that has been DNA tested has been found to be from a known species of animal. In some cases it has been forbidden to remove relics for study, and in those cases it would be harmful to remove it and examine it.

Most Tibetan Yeti relics are basically representations of their spiritual beliefs and connections with the Yeti, rather than actual Yeti body parts. I think these relics should be regarded as such, and should really be left well alone.

[blue]

Well put SaRuMaN. Well put.

[/blue]

;)

I have to agree with you on that one. The only case I can remember offhand where someone analyzed a relic, it turned out to be a goat hide, and not a yeti scalp. Still, the monks of the temple it came from insisted it was from a yeti, so obviously the faith they invested in it sustained them through any scepticism. A warming thought indeed.

You can say the same about the people selling "Nessie's teeth" in Scotland. (Those of you from the country may have seen these vendors.) Local hacks selling shark teeth as those of nessie don't do any harm, and even though there's no religious value to them, I'm sure the people buying them don't actually beleive they're from the legendary beast.

I live just down the road from Loch Ness, and the local tourist shops to tend to sell a number of questionnable Nessie trinkets, but as you say, these are more for the purpose of having a souvenier than being evidence of the creature itself.

The Loch side village of Drumnodrochit is probably the number one place for that sort of thing, they sell anything and everything thats Scottish and relates to Loch Ness and it's mysterious resident. I can't say I've ever seen Nessie teeth for sale, but they probably do or did have them in the past.

If your ever on holiday in Scotland, Drumnodrochit is well worth a visit. :s02