Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Lost Red Paint People

mrgordo

I have lived in Maine for a better part of my first 39 years. You hear strange stories, of Murders like Sarah Ware's beheading and cases like the Trim Triple Homicide. Murder is a given, in Maine, if you read up on these, you begin to hear mention of history in general of Maine. If you are fanatical as I am about getting to the route of all evil, as the saying goes, then you hear of a Tribe of highly advanced stone-age people, that lived 6,000 years ago in Maine. Not wanting to break any rules, or mention any names, there are books out there that tackle this monumental topic, trying google to see what I mean.

The Red paint People, now known as the Maritime Archaic were a deep sea fishing culture, that lived on the coasts of Maine, and as far North as the arctic circle and as far South as Southern New England. They were called Red Paint People because they had huge organized cemeteries in which they buried their dead covered in red paint, made from crushed hematite, along with stone tools, weapons and gifts for the dead.

Sure you might be thinking whats so strange about that, I hear about burials like that all over Europe and Africa. How many of heard of such, a 2,000 years before the building of the Pyramids, in New England? Okay, sure strange but is it interesting enough to get you thinking? Did I mention that the shell heaps littered all over Maine have been known to contain, human bones? Human bones split with stone knives and the marrow removed. Do you see where I'm going with this? It gives a whole new meaning to the question, "who did you have for dinner last night?"

Then again, if you dig deep enough and read the books I didn't mention, then you also come across a tale to end all tales of a place called Mystery Hill, or some call it America's Stonehenge. This is a overlooked key to North America's Prehistoric past. Sure, did I also mention that they found Red Paint People stone tools, and weapons on site, in the excavations around the chambers? Probably not. But I should have.

There is a working star and season calender in Salem New Hampshire, that is dismissed by the professionals with eyes closed. This stonehenge has a sacrificial table, dismissed as a giant lye stone. A 4 ton Sacrificial Table, that is overlooked by everyone.

I think a mystery such as this shouldn't be overlooked. Anyone who wants details, locations, or has questions, feel free to send me a message.

linked-image

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrgordo

• OldTimeRadio

• hetrodoxly

• The_Spartan

Top Posters In This Topic

The picture provided looks like a " Dining Table" for the so called Cannibals.

But the wikipedia says

For example, a much-discussed "sacrificial stone" which contains grooves that some say channeled blood closely resembles "lye-leaching stones" found on many old farms that were used to extract lye from wood ashes, the first step in the manufacture of soap.

God knows!

its funny that you seem to go about as the only source of information about these ancient people.

Links can be found at

http://www.usm.maine.edu/gany/webaa/index.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Paint_People

Theories and Contrevorsies about the Red Paint People

Could you please provide links to the matter that states

Did I mention that the shell heaps littered all over Maine have been known to contain, human bones?

I searched all over and found no mention.

could be animal bones.

Even i love to suck on a chicken bone, of course after its cooked!!

Edited by The Spartan

There is a connection with the "Solutrean" period, Southern France, some 17,000 years bp.

I have posted about this connection long time ago.

To me it doesn't seem that improbable that people went from Europe to the Americas, hunting seal and whales or whatever, following the edge of the ice sheet that covered the northern Atlantic from southern France to Maine.

Despite the fact that the NDN's don't want to know about any prehistoric 'foreign' influences to their culture, I say , I do not care.

That is a problem only for those Americans who want to be 'politically correct'.

To me it is very probable that the Americas were populated from every direction, be it Australia, Siberia, South East Asia, Polynesia, and Europe.

Edited by Abramelin

Thanks for posting this. I also live in Maine, and I had no idea about this legend. Maine is indeed a strange place, but it has such an interesting history.

I first learned of the "Red Paint People" by way of a PBS television documentary 15 - 20 years ago. I think it was most likely on the NOVA series.

This was the very first time I realized that Orthodox Archaeology was at long last accepting the possibility of pre-historic trans-Atlantic contacts between North America and Europe.

I first learned of the "Red Paint People" by way of a PBS television documentary 15 - 20 years ago. I think it was most likely on the NOVA series.

This was the very first time I realized that Orthodox Archaeology was at long last accepting the possibility of pre-historic trans-Atlantic contacts between North America and Europe.

Yep, it's called the Mystery of the Lost Red People, and is produced by Bullfrog Films. It was on a Nova back in 87. I have the original video and now the DVD. It is extremely well produced, including the experts at that time, one who is now the Maine State Archaeologist, and another who worked for the Smithsonian. I was going to post it up on youtube in parts, but have a feeling it would be quickly yanked. They Bullfrog website is selling DVD's for 59$ and renting them for 25$ so I'm not to sure they'd take to kindly to me sharing the wealth. Although for its time, it was considered landmark, I'm sure there are a bunch of people involved that wished they hadn't been, or in later years made disputing discoveries, or changed their views. There is also a new book out that attempts to tie in the Mystery Hill, Red Paint People, Diffusionist Theories, not mentioning names or pointing fingers, it is available on Amazon.

29,000 year old red ochre covered skeleton was found in Wales UK, The remains were found along with a number of artefacts including ivory wands, bracelets and periwinkle shells.

it "might" suggest that the custom of burying people with artefacts originated in western Europe rather than eastern Europe as had previously been thought.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/s...est/7069001.stm

But aren't there human burials, with grave-trinkets, dating from far earlier than 27,000 BC?

I recall there was a "reverent" Neandertal burial in Spain, complete with minor grave-goods, dating to well over 100,000 years ago.

But aren't there human burials, with grave-trinkets, dating from far earlier than 27,000 BC?

I recall there was a "reverent" Neandertal burial in Spain, complete with minor grave-goods, dating to well over 100,000 years ago.

That does ring bells?

Yep, it's called the Mystery of the Lost Red People, and is produced by Bullfrog Films. It was on a Nova back in 87. I have the original video and now the DVD. It is extremely well produced, including the experts at that time, one who is now the Maine State Archaeologist, and another who worked for the Smithsonian. I was going to post it up on youtube in parts, but have a feeling it would be quickly yanked. They Bullfrog website is selling DVD's for 59$ and renting them for 25$ so I'm not to sure they'd take to kindly to me sharing the wealth. Although for its time, it was considered landmark, I'm sure there are a bunch of people involved that wished they hadn't been, or in later years made disputing discoveries, or changed their views. There is also a new book out that attempts to tie in the Mystery Hill, Red Paint People, Diffusionist Theories, not mentioning names or pointing fingers, it is available on Amazon.

The Red Paint People surely can't compete for antiquity rights, but then again Europe has had occupations for over 30,000 years. When talking about Maine, and the Maritime Archaic, we have nothing before the last Glacier covered New England 12,000 years ago and earlier. Then again when's the last you saw a Neanderthal out in a Birch Bark Canoe deep sea fishing for a 700 pound Swordfish?