Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does the Thylacine still exist ?

UM-Bot

Image credit: Hobart Zoo
Image credit: Hobart Zoo
Australian wildlife scientists have re-opened the cryptic case of the Tasmanian tiger, a marsupial carnivore that resembled a striped coyote and which was last seen alive more than 70 years ago.

Scientists think chances are slim that Thylacinus cynocephalus still roams remote areas of Tasmania, the large island just south of Australia, but they can't help but turn over every possible leaf for evidence.

The last wild Tasmanian tiger was killed by a farmer around 1930, and the last captive died in 1936 at the Hobart Zoo in Tasmania's capital. Fifty years later, the species was declared extinct.

Despite the official extinction, rumored sightings of the creature have continued to emerge from Tasmania's temperate forests.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: Phantoms and Monsters

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Leah G.

• UM-Bot

• Grandpa Greenman

• theGhost_and_theDarkness

I sure hope so. I think there have been enough sitings to warrant saving their habitat.

I hope they are still around as well. I've always found them interesting, and I'm sad I never got the chance to see a live one.

Montauk monster skull looks so much like this Thylacinus cynocephalus's skull to me but I'm an observer not an expert.

I hope they are still around also. If they are, someone going to see one and you know the idiot will most likely shoot it instead of filming it or they might film themselves shooting it.

Idiot: “Hey lookie heer I done shot me a Tasmanian tiger.”

Scientist: “Yeah, thanks, now they really are extinct.”

I hope they are still around also. If they are, someone going to see one and you know the idiot will most likely shoot it instead of filming it or they might film themselves shooting it.

Yeah, no doubt! Same thing they will do to a Bigfoot if they can. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

The problem is, unless you have a body, most people will just scream, "PhotoShop!" and tell you off.

The problem is, unless you have a body, most people will just scream, "PhotoShop!" and tell you off.

True that. Kinda of a catch22. Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

True that. Kinda of a catch22. Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

No problem, they will bring back through cloned dna, kill them get them extinct, then clone them again kill them ... ok I will quit now. :P

No problem, they will bring back through cloned dna, kill them get them extinct, then clone them again kill them ... ok I will quit now. :P

Now that would take some kind of new *********** bad, bad person.

• 3 weeks later...

I assumed these were still alive...I remember they were on the Wild Thornberrys game for PS1. Why bother educating us about the habitat of an extinct mammal, really.

• 2 months later...

I wish they are still alive.....