Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How would you feel about a human/ape hybrid ?

UM-Bot

chimp2.jpg
Richard Dawkins – author of The Selfish Gene and The God Delusion – muses on the effect of breaking down the barrier between humans and animals, perhaps by the creation of a chimera in a lab or a "successful hybridisation between a human and a chimpanzee".

Dawkins: "Our ethics and our politics assume, largely without question or serious discussion, that the division between human and 'animal' is absolute. 'Pro-life', to take just one example, is a potent political badge, associated with a gamut of ethical issues such as opposition to abortion and euthanasia.

What it really means is pro-human-life. Abortion clinic bombers are not known for their veganism, nor do Roman Catholics show any particular reluctance to have their suffering pets 'put to sleep'. In the minds of many confused people, a single-celled human zygote, which has no nerves and cannot suffer, is infinitely sacred, simply because it is 'human'. No other cells enjoy this exalted status."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: Guardian Unlimited

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bearly

• Cradle of Fish

• Lt_Ripley

• Leah G.

I think this is one of those classic cases of let's not ask if we can, instead let's ask if we should.

The answer, in case anyone is wondering, is no.

Super intelligent chimps? The real question is, why haven't we made them already?

didn't something like this already happen? it was something like a human/chimp hybrid or something like that :hmm:

How would I feel? Sick. About the human race. Stop playing God. You are not Gods. You are children.

Hey dawkins, it's already been done. Yo mama!

hasnt this story been posted before???

anyways hasnt someone tried that before???

and if they did do it what would be the point?

and he said they could also create a chimera.

so thats all hes doing is building monsters,just cause he can??

he might be an atheist, but i belive he sees himself as God.

(srry i put so many questions :blush: )

We are animals, therefore they are equal with us.

This is no more wrong in nature than a donkey and a horse breeding and yet you are 'sickened' by it? Why do you hold the human race in such a high regard?

We are animals, therefore they are equal with us.

This is no more wrong in nature than a donkey and a horse breeding and yet you are 'sickened' by it? Why do you hold the human race in such a high regard?

That is natural, it happens out in the paddock, not in viles in the lab.

The question to ask, among others, is would YOU want to be the outcome of this experiment. If not, leave it alone.

true , then we shouldn't allow for test tube babies either ? we cross breed animals of different all the time of similar genetics which is ' unnatural '. http://www.hemmy.net/2006/06/19/top-10-hybrid-animals/

it could also be said that using genetics to avoid things like cancer and other disease is also unnatural.

should we think of humans as other than animal ? is it religion that makes us believe we are somehow special ? it seems some species of chimps now like to play in water and use spears to hunt. Given time they may be where we are now with no help from us at all. It isn't inconceivable.

while I find the subject interesting I must admit to some sort of unnamed fear. why ? why is it disturbing ?

The question to ask, among others, is would YOU want to be the outcome of this experiment. If not, leave it alone.

and yet if you were you would be alive and not know another existence so would have no reference .

this just might be the stupidest thing I've heard in a wile...

I was grunting in another thread against currently useless but expensive and potentially dangerous scientific projects.

Here, I’m speechless. Almost.

What would be the status of such chimera? Would he/she/it have half-human rights?

Or they thought of producing only an embryo, for the sake of proving they can. That’s very mature of them.

I don’t think humans are untouchable or god’s chosen or anything like that. I simply hate the idea of producing a being guaranteed to be even more lost and frustrated than average human.

I think it's grand we're considering experiment on humans, and imo, that does mean we're considering equality among the animal kingdoms. My thoughts on the experimentation itself though is it's rather... disgusting. Experimentation on any living beings is simply outrageous--I don't care what we would learn from it, torture for any reason is not acceptable.

If it can be done, it will be done, sooner or later................... :mellow:

If it can be done, it will be done, sooner or later................... :mellow:

I hope sooner than later cause I want to know what will happen

Reason's against the "man-ape"

1. It would be an abomination.

2. If the chimera was capable of reasoning (much less living) how would it feel knowing it was produced by scientists who just wanted to show off that they could play God?

3. PETA and other animal right extremists would most likely retaliate with violence.

But this is just me.

and yet if you were you would be alive and not know another existence so would have no reference .

Chimo: Lab Dude, where did I come from?

Lab Dude: well chimo, us humans had nothing better to do then muck around and so we decided it would be kind of cool to create a chimp - human hybrid for no real good purpose other than to p*** religious people off, so here you are.

Chimo: You mean I could have been full human, but you decided to make me part Chimp. F you Lab Dude!! How am I suppose to get a date with hot chicks?

Lab Dude: Were working on that one. What type of feathers are you attracted too?

Chimo: Not those chicks dumb ***! The hot hollywood ones.

Edited by Bearly