Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brain Cell Looks Like Universe

Pandora7321

I couldn't decide whether this should be in this forum or the Spirituality/Religion section. Mods please place it accordingly. Thanks.

The other day, my boyfriend and I were on a website looking at a section called "Totally Looks Like" when we came across this picture:

linked-image

Our first response was your typical "Oh my gosh, it really does!" However, at the same time a deeper more philosophical reaction started to occur. We started really to delve into it how startlingly similar they look and it made us really think about all the "what ifs".

What if our universe looks like a brain cell because IT IS A BRAIN CELL? What if our reality is just a thought in someone or something's mind? What if the reason we can't find our creator is because it's not "out there" because we're "in there"? I mean after all, according to most stories just saying "Let there be light, earth, waters, animals, etc." is the only thing that has to be done to essentially "make it so". Isn't that kind of like our imagination. Anything is possible in your own mind.

I came to work yesterday telling a Christian co-worker about it and then sent it to her email. She came to my desk about an hour later and said, "You know, now I see what you were talking about." She said at first it was just neat to look at but she kept coming back to it to look at it again. She said she couldn't quit thinking on it in that same philosophical way and that she was going to show it to some of her friends at church.

In my opinion, it could really be interpreted in many different ways depending on your beliefs. It could bolster your faith in a creator. It could bolster your opinion that we are just a thought in something's mind. Or hey, it could just be a picture or coincidence that means absolutely nothing to you.

I just wanted to hear what others thought about it. Thanks!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pandora7321

• DONTEATUS

• Admiral Danger

• Kevin7557

i've been thinking this for some time especially

when you consider that the brain and the universe

might both function holographically

(read Holographic Universe)

In that case the brain that our universe belongs to is so big its inconcieveable.... we must be tiny characters in its thought process when it creates daydreams and stories... hmmmm.

but does that mean that their is a universe in every cell of our brain ?

Oh good question. I hadn't thought of it like that.

We may some day know this question? Size is not the issue it seems We may all be the universe and It us! Then we are all God and creation in a Nut shell :innocent:

I would like to point out the fundamental differences in the way the look. One the Brain cell is connected the universe is only connected by gas clouds. Second that is just one snapshot of the KNOWN universe, the universe is much bigger. Third the brain is like a web and the universe looks like and explosion.

That is just a snapshot of part of the universe. I bet if I look hard enough I can find a part that looks like a clown face. Couicidence. Also nature finds good designs and repeats them so it might just be a nature thing.

Edited by Kevin7557

Hate to break it to you guys but that picture of the universe is just a mash-up. It's not real.

The theory's still valid though.

i still think it is a coincedence

(posted by scottism, after a glitch from being signed into my name somehow :S)

Edited by dr alien

Although i think its doubtful that this theory is true i don't think we should poke fun at the idea, because for all we know it could be. But either way I dont think we will be able to prove or eliminate this theory for a long time to come.

We have all the time in the Universe to think about it! .Remember we invented time,and the jury is still out on if its anything to get worried about.

I think you would blow the merry pranksters mind with this one. That is a big mind **ck. I love it.

We are microcosms of the Universe. There is no ending no matter how far out or in you go. Things will just keep getting bigger or smaller. I guess God's way of saying that no matter how small or big you are there is always something smaller and bigger so quit trying so hard and just be.

As above; so below.

Edited by Rosewin

We have all the time in the Universe to think about it! .Remember we invented time,and the jury is still out on if its anything to get worried about.

I love this quote man, it's my new signature. I don't care what you have to say about it.

In that case the brain that our universe belongs to is so big its inconcieveable.... we must be tiny characters in its thought process when it creates daydreams and stories... hmmmm.

I would like to point out the fundamental differences in the way the look. One the Brain cell is connected the universe is only connected by gas clouds. Second that is just one snapshot of the KNOWN universe, the universe is much bigger. Third the brain is like a web and the universe looks like and explosion.

That is just a snapshot of part of the universe. I bet if I look hard enough I can find a part that looks like a clown face. Couicidence. Also nature finds good designs and repeats them so it might just be a nature thing.

Both of you point out how large the universe really is. Kevin7557, I am aware that it's just part of the known universe. Obviously that's not a photo of all existence. But, in agreement with Oriana, my thinking on it was like hers. That if our reality is just ONE brain cell (universe) in an inconceivably large brain, how tiny we must really be. You're statement that it's just the known universe is correct. Think of all those other universes as just other brain cells. Like I say, depending on what you believe you could view this in different ways. What about life in those other universes/brain cells? Humans are incredibly arrogant. After all we used to think that since God made us that we were so special that we were the center of that universe. Nowhere in the bible does it say he only made us. But, I respect everyone's differing opinions. They are very thought provoking.

Thanks to everyone for their responses!

do you think its a coincidence ?

Everything is a coincidence until the patterns form. KSB II. :).

Just a little saying I made up.

Pandora: I don't believe that we are at the center of the universe (actually there are some really good universe jokes in Penumbra Requim) I know it is an old reference but still I keep my arogance in check. But I am also a realist and our universe isn't a brain cell. The next one over is. We are a virus in the brain :rofl: god everyone knows that. JK. But seriously I have this theory (hypothosis for you technical people) that at the end of the universe is a larger universe which I have named the galativerse. Like galaxies are to universe, universes are to galativerse. It was quite a good Hypothosis I made. I stated that the universe can't expand into nothing thus by default there is the galativerse. BUt that is just my hypothosis.

THE BEST INTRO TO A CARTOON EVER!!!

No this is.

I love this quote man, it's my new signature. I don't care what you have to say about it.
Your welcom to use but also too A mind set free of time is a Mind unlimited!

Everything is a coincidence until the patterns form. KSB II. :).

Just a little saying I made up.

Pandora: I don't believe that we are at the center of the universe (actually there are some really good universe jokes in Penumbra Requim) I know it is an old reference but still I keep my arogance in check. But I am also a realist and our universe isn't a brain cell. The next one over is. We are a virus in the brain :rofl: god everyone knows that. JK. But seriously I have this theory (hypothosis for you technical people) that at the end of the universe is a larger universe which I have named the galativerse. Like galaxies are to universe, universes are to galativerse. It was quite a good Hypothosis I made. I stated that the universe can't expand into nothing thus by default there is the galativerse. BUt that is just my hypothosis.

Hey, I like your sense of humor, lol. Thanks for sharing your thoughts/theories/hypothosis. I'm not convinced the universe is a brain cell either, but it is fun to sit and stew in all the "what ifs". I'll think awhile on your "what ifs" now. :tu: