Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Howard Stern Dropped After FCC Threat

DC09

WASHINGTON - Federal regulators Thursday proposed $495,000 in indecency fines against Clear Channel Communications for broadcasts by Howard Stern, prompting the nation's largest radio chain to drop the country's best-known shock jock.

Clear Channel suspended Stern in February from its six stations that carry his program, which regularly features graphic sexual discussion and humor. It decided to make the move permanent after the Federal Communications Commission cited the chain for 18 alleged violations from Stern's April 9, 2003, show.

"Mr. Stern's show has created a great liability for us and other broadcasters who air it," said John Hogan, president of Clear Channel Radio. "The Congress and the FCC (news - web sites) are even beginning to look at revoking station licenses. That's a risk we're just not willing to take."

Full Article

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fearfulone

• babyforrest

• buggyelfmaiden

• DC09

Top Posters In This Topic

about time his filth was taken off the radio...i cant stand his immoral show...its ridiculous whistling2.gif

There's a problem with morals now, is there? You're going to have to explain this one to me. Religious or not, I have high morals and stick to them.

I listened to Howard Stern when all this

crap with the FCC started after the

janet jackson boob event.

I was curious and admit it, I found some

of the stuff on his show over the top

and some of it was quite funny.

Do we really need Howard Stern on the

radio?

I have to say NO!

But we need to protect our freedom of

speech.

Howard Stern has been doing the same

crap for many years on his show.

And I have found that all of this started

the very day Howard Stern first changed

his position in support of George W Bush.

When he spoke out against Bush and said

that we needed to get him out of office

the FCC which is run by Colon Powell's

son began investigating him, his show

and those who carry his broadcasts.

Also the owner and CEO of Clear Channel

Communications is and has always been a

strong Bush and Republican supporter.

To me this is just wrong, Howard Stern

was left alone for many years and then

now it is all of the sudden time to

shut him up?

Think about it people!

Freedom of speech is one of the few things

we have that is worth fighting for.

Like Howard Stern or not.. and I don't

They put up with his crap for many years.

Now he is speaking aout against the leader

of the USA and only now they are trying

to shut him up.

Maybe next they will shut down access to

this site in the USA because there are

anti-Bush posts here!

Maybe they will ... who knows what is next!

Gazz

Hey, I'm all for freedom of speech as long as it does not harm anybody else. Like racists and nazis have no place spreading their polluted thinking to anybody. I didn't ever actually listen to Stern so I cannot comment on his show or anything he said or did on the air.

But I also have morals and don't appreciate being belittled for it. There's nothing wrong with strong morals. Maybe if more people had them we wouldn't have the problems we do today.

Doesn't Clear Channel own like 75% of the radio stations in America? I remember people talking about bringing and anti-trust lawsuit against them.

Personally I think Howard Stern is Vulgar and disgusting... Though I have to admit... This is kinda quick after his change of heart.

And he's speaking what he wants... Isn't that in the *Note the sarcasim here okay* Great American Constitution. WE have the right to speak our mind. It's pure BS I say...

People still know how to change the station if they don't like what's on. *Rolls her eyes*

And the FCC is starting to crack down and make it impossible for anyone to open new stations.

And if the music isn't something that they like then you can't air it. WHich will shut down a lot of University run stations because they play what they feel like playing...

As i stated earlier, i am glad that his filth is off the air...yet, i must agree with those who say this is a direct violation of our freedom of speech. If we are not allowed to practice this freedom, then they will slowly strip our freedoms away in other sectors of life, with other groups posing to be regulators (i.e. FCC). I understand the role of the FCC, but i think to pressure a station to shut down a show is in violation of our Constitution...they should think of alternatives. Put Howard on late at night 10 or 11 pm when children will most likely not be listening. Problem is, here in southern california, he's on during the morning drive time...this could allow children who are playing a radio while getting ready for school to listen to him...or stupid parents who don't switch the station when driving their children to school. I just believe there are alternatives, even though i don't agree with his show, to shutting him down. whistling2.gif

But I also have morals and don't appreciate being belittled for it. There's nothing wrong with strong morals

Yeah, like wanting to listen to a show that makes you laugh and makes life a little easier to get through is sooooo immoral.

Edited by KayEl

Let's face it people.... The people who complain don't want to teach their kids and need someone to blame. They want to make it 'safe' for their brats and miserable for those of us who have brains in our heads...

*Just rambling now*

Let's face it people.... The people who complain don't want to teach their kids and need someone to blame. They want to make it 'safe' for their brats and miserable for those of us who have brains in our heads...

*Just rambling now*

I complain and i fully intend to teach my kids...although i dont have any kids... i think thats kinda an ignorant statement on your part...

just ramblin myself now whistling2.gif