Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Best Horror Movies?

AlteredAgain

So, whats the best horror movies? Please note, it's hard to spook me.

John Carpenter's "The Thing" was one of the rare movies to give me chills. So I guess you can use that as an example?

No single one movie, but I've always liked the Hammer Studios films. Are they still in business?

• Like 1

I'm not easy to scare and I have never seen the movie that you are talking about but I have to say the movie 1408 scared the s*** out of me. So maybe you should check that one out if you haven't seen it yet.

I work in the fx field, mostly of course for horror movies, and have worked at haunted houses since I was a kid, so it is pretty much impossible to scare me. However, when I was a kid, the original Alien, and Cujo were the only 2 movies that scared me back then. Since then, there have been a few scenes in a few movies that gave me chills, but I can't really credit any single movie with spooking me. With the exception of, maybe, The Blair Witch Project. I saw it in the theatres when it first came out, and it was still up in the air on whether it was real footage of a real event, or just a movie. I didn't beleive it was real, but I went into the theatre with that mentality, and was surrounded by people who either thought it was real, or also kept that same mentality. It didn't "scare" me, but it was pretty creepy when you try to keep the right mentality.

hhhmmm.....

there's gory scary .... which is easy to come but not many good ones. I seen hostel , and although it has a couple of moments , it wasn't believable as far as gore went. too much looked like ham with ketchup .

I liked the first Saw. the rest were ok.

Audition was good.

The Ring.

HellRaiser

Invasion of the Body Snatchers ( both the original and remake of the 80's)

The Changling

The 6th sense

The Shining

The Exorsist

From Beyond

Aliens

May

Jennifer

just a few....

Iv never ever seen a movie that scares me... im still waiting for the day to come. im far from a skeptic and im scared of ghosts but i laugh my way threw horrors and thrillers. im waiting for the day to come where they release something that will scare me sh!tless. lol.

Iv never ever seen a movie that scares me... im still waiting for the day to come. im far from a skeptic and im scared of ghosts but i laugh my way threw horrors and thrillers. im waiting for the day to come where they release something that will scare me sh!tless. lol.

Hehehehe. I working on it.

I looove horror movies, and always get myself so worked up before seeing one, then after its over I am disappointed in how un-scary it was.

The only movie that I was somewhat scared at was 28 days later, But I loooove zombie movies and anything that has to do with apocalyptic events.

The original Eye. Made me turn on all the lights in my house after watching it...so scared. When I saw the remake with my wife at the theater we were all alone in it and kinda creeped out the whole time as well.

The Others. Better than the sixth sense though I love Shyamalan but he is not really horror to me more of magical type movies which I love.

My favorite franchises are Freddy Krueger, very cool, and Tomie, very thought invoking, in one of them there was this dialogue that made me feel like I did not even know who I really was. creepy in its own way but Tomie would be quite inaccessible to common Western audiences.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre [1974 version]

I will agree with that. It scared me so bad when I was little.

A good one I recently saw is called Begotten (1991). It is an independent film and is filmed like an old 20s movie.

Some think it is good and others think it is dumb. I thought it was weird and kind of disturbing. You can watch most of it on youtube I believe.

linked-image

Edited by fenris1011

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre [1974 version]

Alien

Definitely.

also

Halloween

Night of the living Dead / Dawn of the Dead / Day Of The Dead ("Day" is my favourite)

• Like 1

1. Fatal Attraction.

2. Alien.

3. Hardware.

4. Iron Legend

5. Children of Men

Edited by Pavot

Well, I saw The Exorcist when I was 7, so nothing much scares me anymore.

Most recent horror movies tend to be all about the shock value, gore, and not suspense and tension, imo.

Although, that said, I did enjoy [rec] and The Ring **** me up bad!

So, whats the best horror movies? Please note, it's hard to spook me.

John Carpenter's "The Thing" was one of the rare movies to give me chills. So I guess you can use that as an example?

That's because JC's the master of macabre, a generation ahead of the rest.

linked-image

linked-image

linked-image

Still waiting (not holding my breath tho) for a remake/sequel.

I will agree with that. It scared me so bad when I was little.

A good one I recently saw is called Begotten (1991). It is an independent film and is filmed like an old 20s movie.

Some think it is good and others think it is dumb. I thought it was weird and kind of disturbing. You can watch most of it on youtube I believe.

linked-image

That's the thing, I have a lot of friends and family who think The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1974 version is dumb and not scary. So when I ask them what they think is scary, they say Saw or Friday the 13th. I don't get it. TTCM was very gritty and realistically filmed, which made it really frightening to me, I just kept thinking, "I'm glad its not happening to me." It also reminds me of when we were little and we'd get chased by scary farmers and weirdos.

That's the thing, I have a lot of friends and family who think The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1974 version is dumb and not scary. So when I ask them what they think is scary, they say Saw or Friday the 13th. I don't get it. TTCM was very gritty and realistically filmed, which made it really frightening to me, I just kept thinking, "I'm glad its not happening to me." It also reminds me of when we were little and we'd get chased by scary farmers and weirdos.

Oh well I was talking about Begotten. But I do understand where you're coming from. Saw was creepy but it got carried away with the sequels. And I am not a big fan of teen slashers at all. And I agree, the TCM was very gritty and made me think it was really happening. That was because Toby Hooper used a handheld camera for the movie.

I have a few that have freaked me out over the years. A few recent ones such as :

30 Days Of Night - Was really well made. Loved how dark it was.

Exorcism of Emily Rose - Not really sure why, but this had me bricking it!

The Grudge - Both Grudge films are scary as hell. The scene in the office block when the lights are going out down the corridor as she walks up is plain awful.

Aliens - I watched this when I was around 7 or 8 years old. The scene when the soldiers enter the area where the Aliens come out of the walls......Buuuurrrr!

Predator - The scene when you first catch glimpse of what the Predator is after Arnie and his chums have just stormed the guerilla camp. When you see the dead scorpion in the Predators hand in thermal vision....again.....Much bricking as a 7 year old.

:)

I am so sick of The Amityville Horror being overlooked as a good horror film. Sure it's not jump-out-of-your-seat scary or anything, but it's still one of my favorite horror movies of all-time. In my top three.

The 1979 version, by the way.