Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Personality disorders?

The Orpheus

According to the American Psychiatric Association, a personality disorder is "an enduring pattern of inner experience and behavior that deviates markedly from the expectations of the culture of the individual who exhibits it".

In laymen's terms: if your personality paradoxes human society, you have a personality disorder.

Apparently, I have a personality disorder. Haven't been diagnosed on what exactly, but my shrink claims that I do and need to get a full psychiatric evaluation.

I'm not crazy or anything. I just don't follow rules and laws, not because I am an impulsive, rebellious teenager (which I find worse), but because I find them to be a concept invented by man and that the only way it is still enforced is due to decades and decades of practice that has brainwashed us into following them.

That apparently is the main trigger to my having a personality disorder. Just because I don't fall into the standards set by society.

But to go further on:

Most of the time, I have odd explanations for life and the things I do, but so has philosophers in the past. Not to say I am a philosopher, but I am a thinker. It's what we do.

I find things to be "magical" and tend to interpret things in intangible "spiritual" ways.

I used to think that I was psychic for a number of reasons, still do.

I'm narcissistic. I think I'm made for this great purpose, and find myself to be lowering down others to make myself appear better than they are. That they are just "sheep", and I'm something greater.

I tend to think that I am an Empath and can read people, not in the way most people would do so, but through my third eye chakra.

I looked up some personality disorders and apparently I fall into Schizotypal and Narcissistic personality disorders.

But really, these "magical" interpretations actually tend to be be someone true and help explain life in a different sort of way. Also, none of the things I do really hurt people. I think I am better than a lot of people, but I also know that I am not and that it's just part of my personality.

So, what do you think? Are personality disorders real?

Edited by The Orpheus

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bunny Munro

• The Skeptic Eric Raven

• The Orpheus

• ninjacat

According to the American Psychiatric Association, a personality disorder is "an enduring pattern of inner experience and behavior that deviates markedly from the expectations of the culture of the individual who exhibits it".

In laymen's terms: if your personality paradoxes human society, you have a personality disorder.

Apparently, I have a personality disorder. Haven't been diagnosed on what exactly, but my shrink claims that I do and need to get a full psychiatric evaluation.

I'm not crazy or anything. I just don't follow rules and laws, not because I am an impulsive, rebellious teenager (which I find worse), but because I find them to be a concept invented by man and that the only way it is still enforced is due to decades and decades of practice that has brainwashed us into following them.

That apparently is the main trigger to my having a personality disorder. Just because I don't fall into the standards set by society.

But to go further on:

Most of the time, I have odd explanations for life and the things I do, but so has philosophers in the past. Not to say I am a philosopher, but I am a thinker. It's what we do.

I find things to be "magical" and tend to interpret things in intangible "spiritual" ways.

I used to think that I was psychic for a number of reasons, still do.

I'm narcissistic. I think I'm made for this great purpose, and find myself to be lowering down others to make myself appear better than they are. That they are just "sheep", and I'm something greater.

I tend to think that I am an Empath and can read people, not in the way most people would do so, but through my third eye chakra.

I looked up some personality disorders and apparently I fall into Schizotypal and Narcissistic personality disorders.

But really, these "magical" interpretations actually tend to be be someone true and help explain life in a different sort of way. Also, none of the things I do really hurt people. I think I am better than a lot of people, but I also know that I am not and that it's just part of my personality.

Your age tells it all. When we are teenagers we are full of ourselves and think the rules don't apply to us. Teenagers also have tendency to believe in non existent psi powers, mythic creatures and etc. Why? Because real life can be boring so they want to believe in more. By the way, you are not something greater. You are just an average arrogant teenager.

Yes. Personality disorders do exist.I would take the advice of your shrink.

Edited by The Skeptic Eric Raven

I think they exist, but I don't think they are necessarily a problem and I dislike the term 'disorder' because of it's inherently negative connotations, I really doubt that in every individual this is going to cause problematic behavior, I think most individuals would be diagnosed with at least one of these disorders if they had a psychiatric evaluation.

Oh hell yes I believe in them. I rub shoulder with people who have various different types and have one or two myself.

A friend of mine has ADD pretty badly. Can't focus on much of anything for long, though he's trying for a computer science certificate, and tried to do karate for awhile. He just doesn't have the ability to focus.

Another friend suffers from bad depression, has medication that helps with it, and is a decent guy to be around as long as he's on it. Almost killed himself last time he thought he was "cured".

I know of several different ones, and several people who are affected by them. Despite what some people claim, that they are actually "enlightened" in some sense, it generally makes life much more difficult for them. Even doing the things they want to do becomes a challenge.

If you have ever met someone who is bipolar or have another similar disorder you would believe them too.

Of course they are real regardless of what anyone believes.

I think most individuals would be diagnosed with at least one of these disorders if they had a psychiatric evaluation.

Just had one last month... None here

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think disorders such as being bipolar or having ADD are considered personality disorders I'm not certain what they are but I believe they are a different classification entirely, I think what the OP is referring to are things in the class of 'schizoid' and 'paranoid' personality disorders.

Personality Disorders are only known after a crazy psychologist found out that some are just not in their sane mind.

But in the modern days, some experts also found out that 99% of humans has their own personality disorder since they can't find any specification of what or who's really normal.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think disorders such as being bipolar or having ADD are considered personality disorders I'm not certain what they are but I believe they are a different classification entirely, I think what the OP is referring to are things in the class of 'schizoid' and 'paranoid' personality disorders.

Bipolar is a personality disorder... It causes unpredictable behavior and emotional swings etc.

ADD your right though... It is classed as a learning disorder.

Your age tells it all. When we are teenagers we are full of ourselves and think the rules don't apply to us. Teenagers also have tendency to believe in non existent psi powers, mythic creatures and etc. Why? Because real life can be boring so they want to believe in more. By the way, you are not something greater. You are just an average arrogant teenager.

Yes. Personality disorders do exist.I would take the advice of your shrink.

0.o

man im glad i didnt live ur childhood

Bipolar is a personality disorder... It causes unpredictable behavior and emotional swings etc.

Actually, Bipolar is a mood disorder.

Anyway yes, of course I think personality disorders are real. People aren't just diagnosed with them because they act differently compared to the rest of society or are 'weird'. They can cause serious problems in everyday life, relationships, holding down jobs etc. They aren't usually diagnosed in teenagers though because some psychiatrists believe at that age, people's personalities are still developing. However I have known doctors that seem to give out diagnoses on a silver platter (metaphorically speaking).

I have always been like this. I also realized that I would be wise if I was not so obvious. Others live in fear and once they see you being this way, they will attack you.

Yes each person is a God being and they are here, in physical expression, with a purpose just as valuable as your own.

Yes but who has the disorder, you or those around you.

John

Edited by John A Spera

I've honestly considered my being a teenager as a reason, but when I look around, I can tell a "sane" teenager from a not so sane one.

Those who are sane have the normal, everyday, angsty struggles...drama, relatonships, parents, break-ups, etc.

Then there are those who I have deeper connections to who are always ****ed up...got beaten as a child, compulsively lies, has a phobia for being alone, doesn't realize that their wrong-doings are wrong-doings and always have self-righteous and spiritual conclusions to why they do it, think they are prophets but try to keep it a secret because when they say it out loud, their connection with "God" cuts down a bit, etc.

I don't think those are teenage issues. I think those are just results of adolescents with lots of trauma in their past that caused their head to become that way. At least that's how I define it in a psychoanalytical way.

I don't believe in mental disorders. If you're "bipolar" like I am, you probably just had some really bad things happen to you in your childhood.

And in the rare occasions that it just runs and your family and is a real chemical inbalance, then you probably won't exhibit the psychotic parts of it, just the ups and downs and the mood swing parts.

I've honestly considered my being a teenager as a reason, but when I look around, I can tell a "sane" teenager from a not so sane one.

Those who are sane have the normal, everyday, angsty struggles...drama, relatonships, parents, break-ups, etc.

Then there are those who I have deeper connections to who are always ****ed up...got beaten as a child, compulsively lies, has a phobia for being alone, doesn't realize that their wrong-doings are wrong-doings and always have self-righteous and spiritual conclusions to why they do it, think they are prophets but try to keep it a secret because when they say it out loud, their connection with "God" cuts down a bit, etc.

I don't think those are teenage issues. I think those are just results of adolescents with lots of trauma in their past that caused their head to become that way. At least that's how I define it in a psychoanalytical way.

I don't believe in mental disorders. If you're "bipolar" like I am, you probably just had some really bad things happen to you in your childhood.

And in the rare occasions that it just runs and your family and is a real chemical inbalance, then you probably won't exhibit the psychotic parts of it, just the ups and downs and the mood swing parts.

Tell that to my mother who becam shcizophrenic in her 30's. She had a iq of 120. Now she lives like a hermit. She chased me around as a kid with a knife when she was unmedicated, so don't give me that crap that mental disorders do not exist. Grow up and do some studying on it. :angry2:

Edited by The Skeptic Eric Raven

ooohhhh you shouldn't have got me started. do i believe people have personality disorders....yes. but i do believe maybe 90 percent of people who supposively have them really DON'T have them. ADD, manic depression, bipolar, dyslexia, avoident personality........BULL ****. somebody is a little bit differn't it's automaticly a disorder. i supposivly have dyslexia and avoident personality, when i was in 6th grade i had to see this guy who asked me questions and did test and stuff and after about a week of this he said i was dyslexic and had avoident personality. i think this is BS. i'm not dyslexic i just learn slower (yes i said i'm slow). i know just as much as everybody else it just takes me longer to learn it. i'm not avoident i'm just shy, i don't feel conferable around people i don't know, OOOHHHH NOOO is this a crime. after i get to know you for a while i'm fine. every damn kid has ADD now a days, MY A$$! that's a damn excuse because nobody wants to disipline them any more. everybody has depression now a days, SHUT UP. stop feeling sorry for your self nothings wrong you just want somebody to tell you something wrong with you so you don't have to deal with the world. why is everbody being diagnosed with this stuff that they don't have? for money to the drug companies and so we don't have to take responsibility for ourselfs and kids.

your kid has ADD? NO! they're just a brat, deal with it

you have depression or bipolar? NO! you're just an a$$ hole, get over it

you're dyslexic? NO! you're just slow, study longer

you have avoident personality? NO! you're just shy, so what

your kid has ADD? NO! they're just a brat, deal with it

you have depression or bipolar? NO! you're just an a$$ hole, get over it

you're dyslexic? NO! you're just slow, study longer

you have avoident personality? NO! you're just shy, so what

ADD caused by a lack of norepinephrine

depression often caused by a lack of seratonin

dyslexia I forget what exactly causes it but if I remember correctly it's something to do with the occipetal lobe

none of the above are personality disorders dyslexia and add are considered learning disorders while depression is a mental illness.

As for personality disorders such as avoidant personality it isn't just being different or being unusual. Having a personality disorder is being different to the point that it becomes difficult to function in normal society.

Trust me when I say they are real I have enough experience with mental illness, learning disorders, and personality disorders to know.

ADD caused by a lack of norepinephrine

depression often caused by a lack of seratonin

dyslexia I forget what exactly causes it but if I remember correctly it's something to do with the occipetal lobe

none of the above are personality disorders dyslexia and add are considered learning disorders while depression is a mental illness.

As for personality disorders such as avoidant personality it isn't just being different or being unusual. Having a personality disorder is being different to the point that it becomes difficult to function in normal society.

Trust me when I say they are real I have enough experience with mental illness, learning disorders, and personality disorders to know.

i'm not saying they're not real i'm saying people are told they have these things when they really don't.

I believe that mental illness is real. I too believe about 90% of people diagnosed with it aren't truly mentally ill and it is another scam by big business, in this case the drug companies, to make money and in many ways to control people. I think this is why they call the United States the melting pot. It sounds like all these different people, personalities, are welcome and we all live together in perfect harmony. The reality is we're throwing everyone in and molding them into the same type of person. It's like Stepford Americans. If we think differently than society says we should we're mentally ill and should be medicated until we act like everyone else or locked up.

ooohhhh you shouldn't have got me started. do i believe people have personality disorders....yes. but i do believe maybe 90 percent of people who supposively have them really DON'T have them. ADD, manic depression, bipolar, dyslexia, avoident personality........BULL ****. somebody is a little bit differn't it's automaticly a disorder. i supposivly have dyslexia and avoident personality, when i was in 6th grade i had to see this guy who asked me questions and did test and stuff and after about a week of this he said i was dyslexic and had avoident personality. i think this is BS. i'm not dyslexic i just learn slower (yes i said i'm slow). i know just as much as everybody else it just takes me longer to learn it. i'm not avoident i'm just shy, i don't feel conferable around people i don't know, OOOHHHH NOOO is this a crime. after i get to know you for a while i'm fine. every damn kid has ADD now a days, MY A$$! that's a damn excuse because nobody wants to disipline them any more. everybody has depression now a days, SHUT UP. stop feeling sorry for your self nothings wrong you just want somebody to tell you something wrong with you so you don't have to deal with the world. why is everbody being diagnosed with this stuff that they don't have? for money to the drug companies and so we don't have to take responsibility for ourselfs and kids.

I very much agree with this. I think a lot of the problems here are particularly with children, with parents and doctors trying to diagnose them when the child is too young to be able to properly communicate their feelings and thus the doctor has to rely on filling in the blanks themselves based on their behavior. For example when I was a kid it was strongly suspected that I had ADD and as I grew to pre-teen ages and into my teenage years there was no behavior to suggest that this was the case, however I did discover that I had an anxiety disorder and a chemical deppression. I would suspect that the apathy I had from a very early age towards learning (and just about any kind of structured activity) as a result of deppression, combined with my anxious behavior and the abundance of energy most children experience probably was largely responsible for the suspicion I had some kind of a learning disorder. Luckily for me my parents didn't pursue the matter so I was never officially diagnosed with ADD, I'd hate to think of what years of unwarranted medication would have done to me....

Edited by Affliction

Yes I believe too that some people are really mentally ill. But I also believe that people today are over diagnosed. They educate lots of psychologists, and they need to have something to do.

Really don't like the fact that in today's sociey we all have to be alike not to be diagnosed with something.

I think relitivly few people actually have a disorder as compared to the people 'diagnosed' with them. If it were up to doctors everyone would be diagnosed with something.

Why?

For one, it makes it easy for small minded people to remain small minded and fit everyone into some classification that makes them comfortable and has little to do with acrually helping the 'ill' person.

Two, it gives doctors a chance to get repeat visits and more money. Not only from the repeat visits, but as kick backs from the drug companies whose

drugs they prescribe.

Three, drugging the majority of the populace makes the majority of the populace feel inferior by telling them something is wrong with them, AND it

makes them easier to control.

My last thought, I think the majority of people with disorders, whether self-diagnosed, or diagnosed by a doctor, are simply looking for excuses to avoid the responsibility of doing what is right, and most times hard.

Alcoholics, drug addicts, etc, use their 'addiction' as an excuse for their destructive behaivor. When in truth they simmply lack the self discipline to act responsibly. I personally don't buy into the genetic addiction story, that too is a cop out. Sure, drugs may chemically alter one's brain, but it is a consious choice for someone to pick up that first; beer, joint. cigarette. coke, etc.

Just my thought.

I also think the criteria for diagnosing personality disorders is far to general, from what I've looked at it seems that I'd fit just about every one of them (and I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't be much different). They are all from what I understand stand lists of behavior with a yes or no response, surely one would think for an accurate diagnosis you would have to go beyond this and rate the frequency of such behavior and the severity of it. Or maybe I've just completely misunderstood the system...

I've been diagnosed with Bi-Polar and they said that I've got a borderline personality disorder due to the fact that I'm antisocial. Oh well. Life sucks, don't it?