Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

ghosts in the west midlands

sam

hi guys i am looking for information on ghosts and haunted places in the west midlands and especially around the birmingham area. eyecrazy.gif

is there anyone here that would like to share with me anything that they know concerning this topic? wiggle.gif if there is i would be really grateful for any help and info received. if you wish you may either email, pm or tell me here. i look forward to any replies notworthy.gif

bb sam kiss.gif

• Like 1

Aston Hall

Victoria Rd, Aston.

Erdington has several haunted places.

Camp Hill flyover.

St Nicholas church, Cardworth

Warstone Lane cemetery, Brookfields.

Grove Lane, Handsworth

Guy's Cliff Manor

Baddesley Clinton Hall

Redditch shopping centre

The Cardinal's Hat and Old Talbot Hotel, Worcester.

Royal Oak, Upton Snodsbury.

• Like 1

hi agent and thank you for that list wink2.gif

is there any chance that you can go into more details about these places please?

bb sam

Aston Hall - A white lady ghost is most frequently seen on the upper floor. A green lady is seen occasionally around the Hall and Dick's Garret is haunted by the eponymous character who lived and killed himself there. Aston Park, btw, has a ghostly lady in a maroon dress, spotted on one occasion near the tennis courts.

Victoria Road - A woman in a yellowish-green dress haunts the road.

Camp Hill flyover - A man who hanged himself may haunt the vicinity of a bus stop near the railway bridge here.

Grove Lane - An old time policeman with a heavy beard and carrying a lantern was encountered at least once here. He gradually dematerialized until only his trousers remained! Then they too vanished.

Warstone Lane Cemetery - A youngish fair haired woman in an old fashioned dress wafts around the area accompanied by the aroma of pear drops!

• Like 1

St Nicholas Church, Cardworth - A tall woman - another Green Lady haunts this site where a Civil Wars mass grave lies and where buried treasure is rumoured.

Guy's Cliff Manor - Ruins haunted by a white lady ghost and a phantom funeral procession

Royal Oak - Persistent cries of a baby girl who was many years ago murdered by her own father. At one time the crying, which ceased with a scream, were a monthly occurrence.

Kingfisher shopping centre, Redditch - Possibly most haunted site of its kind. Built partially over a burial ground, the centre has been disturbed from the '70s onward by various shadowy figures, unaccountable sounds/movements etc.

The Cardinal's Hat - Built on the site of a house that burnt down. Unexpected temperature rises have been felt here. There is also the ghost of a fair haired girl in a nightdress who seemingly never shows her face.

Old Talbot - Almost opposite the Cardinal's Hat. Haunted by a phantom cat that has unnerved several people and at least one live dog with its supernatural habits.

Baddesley Clinton - Afflicted by various weird sounds, a phantom woman and a priest murdered by onetime owner Nicholas Brome who suspected him of seducing his wife.

The numerous ghosts of Erdington have been well documented and have one book dedicated to them. One of the more unusual is a haunted phone box in Station Road.

• Like 1

Hi Sam,

How about having a look at this?

It mentions The Station Hotel (which is supposed to be haunted and was on Most Haunted last year)

http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes.co.u...host_hunter.php

The team was also able to film making contact with a ghost called Mary at the Station Hotel in Dudley.

"The Station Hotel is built quite close to Dudley Castle's ruins," says Jack. "We were told there was a ghost called George haunting table seven. We sat down and asked George if he wanted to make contact and a napkin started rocking. We started asking yes and no questions, and we discovered by watching the napkin rock and asking questions the ghost was actually a woman called Mary who left her physical body about 1,000 years ago."

I am supposed to be going there on an investigation this year......

http://www.para-normal.com/nuke/html/modul...ic=14&pagenum=3

http://davesdomain.netmag.easyspace.com/stories.htm

Sometimes your local BBC news sites have a paranormal section too!

Hammy x x x

PS Love your avatar laugh.gif

Edited by dancin'hamster

a huge fat thank you to agent and hammy, your info is great and so i am very grateful to you both for your help.

oh and hammy, i love your avatar too wink2.gif

bb sam

hey sam, im from burton-on-trent about one hours drive from birmingham. It might be a bit far from you but Tutbury Castle is reported to be haunted, i went last year and caught some orbs on camara, so just to let you know they are having another ghost hunting night on the 30th of April and its £6.50 a ticket and also this time Richard Felix is going to be there. You will have to see if you can go its a great nigh out.

thumbsup.gif hey guys thank you very very much for the info, very appreciated it!

bb sam

just a few more.....

ALEXANDRA THEATRE - Though nothing is seen here the 'presence' of a former director, Leon Salberg, is 'definitely felt' standing at the back of the stalls. More tangible is the sound of soft footsteps of a former wardrobe master who died in his office one night. The current wardrobe mistress is one of the members of the team who has heard the `gentleman pattering from over concrete to wood along a passage leading to the room where the old man was found`. The master always wore carpet slippers for some unknown reason and the floor which he still frequents has been carpeted for some time, yet the distinct change in tone is `very noticeable`.

BLAKESLEY HALL - A few years ago whilst decorating a bedroom of this fifteenth century yeoman farmhouse the owners discovered some ancient wall paintings with a strong religious motif. The assumption is that it was used as a form of refuge from religious persecution and could have been a private chapel for there is a tunnel leading from the house to the local church. More than once visitors and friends whilst walking in the grounds, have witnessed the ghost of a woman in a `bluish gown` who seems to be looking for something. Legend has it that she is a mother searching for her child but no actual facts are known about the haunting. During a party a few years ago one of the guests glanced at another member of the group who was talking to a `strange looking fellow`. A few minutes later the woman, suddenly became ill and nearly fainted. On enquiry she admitted that the man she had been talking to `suddenly disappeared - just vanished `in front of her. She had been puzzled by the fact that he never said anything at all. Only the host recognised the figure of the man. He was, in fact portrayed in an old family painting in another part of the building and had been dead for over 150 years.

BREWERY STORES - During renovation of this building in 97 – 98, a workman reported seeing a hooded figure materialising from a cellar wall. Poltergeist activity has also been witnessed which has also apparently continued after pub subsequently opened.

COURT OAK - The ghost of a woman dressed in black and white clothing is said to haunt this pub. A masculine figure in a denim blue colour has been seen by the Licensee on 2 occasions. Poltergeist activity has also been reported – sometimes destructive in nature. Inexplicable movement of objects and stock (bottles of relatively expensive wine) found smashed on cellar floor periodically.

HANBURY HALL - Emma Vernon, who lived at Hanbury Hall in Droitwich, was married to Henry Cecil, heir to the Earldom of Exeter. She eloped with, and later married, the local curate, William Snead, after being neglected by her husband.

Even though Emma died nearly 200 years ago, she is said to still wander the hall and grounds (now owned by the National Trust).

JOLLY COLLIER - The Jolly Collier was plagued by poltergeist phenomena, including the usual objects being hurled about the rooms, crockery being smashed, bells ringing unaccountably at all hours, but more disturbing, guests being thrown out of their beds. The situation became so bad that nobody would stay at the inn.

The landlord’s wife had died leaving her husband a young daughter to look after and the phenomena always seemed to occur around this young girl.

Business became that bad that the distraught landlord got heavily in debt and eventually, threatened by bailiffs and the debtors prison, he killed his daughter and then committed suicide. From that time the poltergeist phenomena ceased but ever since the figures of a flaxen-haired girl and a man in a brown suit have been seen in the upper part of the building.

OLD MILL HOTEL - This Hotel was, believe it or not once a mill. Many features reserved including original mill pool and 18-foot diameter iron mill-wheel. It is reputed to be haunted by a "Grey Lady" whose voice has been heard in the restaurant

OLDE WHITE ROSE - A swarthy looking figure in period clothing has been witnessed by the landlord in the pub cellars

ROYAL EXCHANGE - Previous owners of this hostelry in Darlaston have experienced incredible unexplainable phenomena. Beer pulls have been known to start flowing independently, and upon investigation in the cellars, the switches had been clicking up and down of their own accord.

An apparition has been seen many times by various occupants and staff….It shows itself as a black mass which resembles no shape or form, it can be tall or small, quick or slow People would feel as if someone was touching their hair or putting their arm around them. It would open doors slam doors make glasses fall from shelves, frighten dogs, it scared the bar staff to death one night by sending a blood curdling laugh echoing around the pub after hours when all the customers had gone home.

STARTING GATE - Paranormal activity has been reported at this pub from the 1970’s onward. Apparitions seen include a shimmering figure in the cellar; a girl in 60’s clothing on the 1st floor of building; a woman with long black hair, wearing ball gown. Rampant poltergeist activity has also been reported. Object movement / destruction; dramatic temperature changes; interaction with electrical appliances / sources, etc. are the kind of events which occur.

THREE TUNS HOTEL - Local legend has it that the ghost of a Royalist drummer boy – murdered during Civil War period – haunts the pubs cellar. Reports of encounters with the ghost date back decades.

WARLEY ABBEY - Despite numerous attempts by serious researchers to capture 'The Grey Lady of Warley' on film, the phantom here refuses to oblige, yet continues to be witnessed by the occasional evening visitor to the grounds when, at the time, they were thinking of `nothing in particular`. She is known to have appeared in the late 1950`s and in the early 1970`s and is seen as a tall woman wearing a grey coat. The most frequent area is that of the site of Warley Abbey constructed in the eighteenth century and demolished in the mid twentieth century. Some believe she is the phantom of a murdered heiress to the estate. There is certainly some connection with the original building for she appears where the original front door was situated, walks along a pathway and vanishes.

WHITE HART INN - The mummified hand and arm of a young girl can be seen at the Central Library in Walsall. The arm and a Civil War sword were found the loft of the White Hart in 1870. The arm itself is a complete mystery but it is known that at some time it was injected with a preservative and could have been a hospital specimen. The pacing of feet in the attic has been heard on several occasions and the sound of sobbing has been heard by more than one landlord. A female phantom has been seen at the inn and the sensation of undue coldness in certain areas, especially the upper floor, has been noticed by many, including a psychical research group who spent the night in the haunted area. It is know that at one time witchcraft was practised as the White Hart.

Originally the White Hart was a Tudor manor house and it is known that at least two murders and one suicide have been committed there. A man called Menzies was killed there by Parliamentary troops during the Civil War and another man was murdered there in the 18th century after an argument. In 1900, a servant girl committed suicide in the attic.

In the late 1950’s the then landlady woke up one night to see a white shape standing by the side of her bed. In 1955, the landlord heard mysterious sobbing coming from the direction of the attic, He went up to the upper floor of the house, which had been disused for years. When he opened the door into the attic the sobbing ceased and he found the room empty with the dust on the floor undisturbed. In the centre of the room stood an old table. Quite clearly imprinted on the dust which covered it was the imprint of a young child’s hand.

WHITE SWAN - The White Swan dates back to 1714, and it is haunted by the 19th century figure of John Wentworth, a prosperous local businessman. He used the pub for his secret meetings with a local woman. On one tragic night, she was killed in a coach accident and heartbroken, Wentworth killed himself and his little dog too. He is often seen near the bar.

hope this is of some use!!!

cookster! x

grin2.gif crikey thanks cookster, a lot of these i hadn't come across so thank you very very much for them original.gif

bb sam

• 3 years later...

basically just a quick bump to see if anyone has anymore to add to these?

• 8 years later...

Hi Sam,

I don't know if this helps or not, but I used to work at Hanbury Hall, I am a sensitive and as such I am aware of paranormal happenings, I can confirm the story of Emma Vernon's haunting Hanbury, I've been in the house myself late at night and I can confirm that Emma does indeed haunt Hanbury, as I have heard her footsteps, especially in the private section of the house where the property manager lives, in that area there is  room which has not been touched since the late 18th century', so much so if you enter the room you could swear that you had stepped back in time to era of the Vernon familly, there are other ghosts at Hanbury, including one of the last owners of the house, who committed suicide in one of the upstairs bedrooms.. I have been alone at night in Hanbury after closing the house and can confirm that there is a very odd atmosphere in the main hall and you feel as if you are being watched...

If you would like to contact me Sam, I would be more than happy to tell you what I know and have experienced there, which even scares me....

*email removed*

Take care Sam

Kind regards

Stuart

Edited by Kismit
personal contact information removed

Lets hope Sam will be back soon, its only been 9 years.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

hi sam i live in Birmingham in a psychic ghost hunter medium and im looking for some peeps to join me to go out on locations im in the progress of looking for locations cheap enough to go to 

Keep in mind that the OP hasn't been here for 9 years - this is an extremely old thread.

In fact there's little reason to keep it open.

Closed.

• The topic was locked