Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Floating down the stairs

Fugabutacus

I've always had a strange memory. When I was around maybe four, I used to enjoy seeing if I could get down the stairs in as few steps as possible. Well one day I decided to go for it big time. I leapt from the very top step, and landed at the bottom of the stairs perfectly well and unharmed, as if I'd just jumped down one step. I vividly remember just sort of gliding down the stairs.

I was reading in article the other day in Paranormal magazine and the writer of the article had a similar experience where he fell down the stairs, bounced down each step and landed at the bottom unharmed. He says he did some research and its quite common and a lot of people have memories like his or like mine. Even the editor of that magazine recalls it.

I then googled this and found a few random forum topics by people who have a memory like this.

Does anyone else recall floating down the stairs as a child?

• Like 2

I've always had a strange memory. When I was around maybe four, I used to enjoy seeing if I could get down the stairs in as few steps as possible. Well one day I decided to go for it big time. I leapt from the very top step, and landed at the bottom of the stairs perfectly well and unharmed, as if I'd just jumped down one step. I vividly remember just sort of gliding down the stairs.

I was reading in article the other day in Paranormal magazine and the writer of the article had a similar experience where he fell down the stairs, bounced down each step and landed at the bottom unharmed. He says he did some research and its quite common and a lot of people have memories like his or like mine. Even the editor of that magazine recalls it.

I then googled this and found a few random forum topics by people who have a memory like this.

Does anyone else recall floating down the stairs as a child?

No, I do remember falling down them a lot. I have other strange memories concerning stairs and hallways... or did I dream them?

I've actually dreamt of floating down the stairs in the house I grew up in, and a few others, my whole life.

Never actually did it as far as I know.

Memories of stairs and hallways like that are usually just childhood dreams. I've always had dreams as a kid of my bed spinning really fast and then I would wake up.

• 3 weeks later...

I have this memory as well. I can clearly remember hanging onto the railing and floating down the stairs in two seconds without really touching the stairs at all. Its really weird how it seems so real yet as an adult I know it can't be. I have heard someone say that it is possible that children actually have the ability to do this but they loose it as an adult, crazy thought though:wacko:

• Like 1

It really seems very logical that it would be a very vivid dream you remember, that just seems very mundane at the same time so it seems slightly real.

Edited by Affliction

Imo, these memories aren't "real". They may have happened, but are being remembered differently than they actually occurred. Stairs are often seen as dangerous places for kids (and adults too), so I think it would be reasonable to say that some of us want to connect a kind of "mystery" to them. We've all gotten hurt on the stairs before (*cough*, some of us more than others :lol:), and I think it's within our nature to want to remember our experiences different. Seems strange, considering that stairs are everyday, mundane things, but every kid I've ever met has had such a strange fascination with them. They're the only toy a kid needs. For most of my childhood I played on the stairs like they were the only things I ever had (they were the only place I played in the house in general, with toys and without). I personally don't remember ever having "floated" down the stairs (I never, ever, walked on stairs until I was about ten, I always crawled up and down them because, guess what, I was terrified of falling. :lol:)

Anyway, summing it all up: stairs are a mystical place for a lot of kids. I think it's natural that we'll, at some time or another, want to connect a mystery with them, in some way, regardless of whether or not it really happened.

Edited by Ebonykrow

I actually have a really vivid, clear memory of floating down the stairs in my first house. Around 3 or 4 years old.

I'm not sure if I've even read this or my mind has just made it up, but aren't children supposed to be fairly good at having lucid dreams?

Memories of stairs and hallways like that are usually just childhood dreams. I've always had dreams as a kid of my bed spinning really fast and then I would wake up.

Come to think of it, when I was a kid I did have a lot of dreams of floating out of my bed and into the middle of the lounge room for no apparent reason.

i know i have had a dream I was standing at the top of my stairs just staring and being scared and then i just jump for no apparent reason and glide to the bottom

Some things happen spontaneously and if you follow up on them, you learn how to make them happen willfully. One of my earliest OBE's happened when I was stationed in Alaska, awaiting KP duty that began at 3 a.m. and not being able to sleep because of the stress. I felt some of the precursors that are involved with the out of body experience, but didn't know what they were, at the time. I got up off the cot and walked out into the hall and down the stairs to the mess hall, floating down the stairs three or four steps at a time, in slow motion. Felt like I weighed about a pound and a half, if I took I took a step I'd be in the air for a long time afterwards. A lot of people have these experiences but it comes to nothing because nobody is around who takes it seriously. In ancient societies these experiences were seen as important, a sign of potential that had real value, and if you mentioned them to someone you got pointed to people who could help you learn important things. Sad that it isn't that way now, you just get told it was a dream and you should ignore it.

Jimmy

Alright Chris Angel calm down since it was that long ago the memory is most likely distorted and you just did a big jump and got lucky with the landing

Whenever I have a sleep paralysis episode and I am screaming for help and trying to move if and when I am able to break from the paralysis in my dream I always "float" or not really float it's like a very fast like motion just like "woosh" right down the stairs to the living room and my feet never touch the floor, but yeah I've fall down the stairs in real life plenty of times and wish that I had just floated down them instead haha.

I dont understand that Why it should Be a paranormal incident.....

Thakns

B???

If kids actually have the ability to "float" down stairs and "fly" like some people think, somebody would have gotten it on tape by now.

It's nothing but childhood dreams.

I remember falling down the stairs head first (about 6 steps) and getting up and laughing about it.

I tried it again and it didn't feel so good when i did it on purpose <_<

Edited by Crazy Level 99

I don't think I've ever floated down the stairs but I remember falling down the stairs a few times when I was younger.

• 8 months later...

Does anyone else recall floating dow

hi when i was 3 years old i got out my bed during the night

went to the top of the stairs and lept of floated through

the air and landed at the bottom of the stairs i then curled

up in a ball at the back of the door and when i wokke up

i was laying behind the door there were 15 steps so i know

i never jumpted them

and since then i have had so many strange things happen to me

in my life i could write a book about it and i am 47 now

I have never "floated" down the stairs as a kid, but I do remember having some dreams where I rapidly flew down them and then woke up when I hit the bottom. Like some others have said in here, I too played on the stairs with my toys from time to time, and Hell, I even ended up falling down the stairs and hurting my neck pretty good :hmm: But anyway, saying that kids could just magically "float" down the stairs without realizing it sounds pretty silly, doesn't it?

i've had dreams my bed could breath, and i had a dream where i kept opening a door and there was an endless number of doors in the door frame, and i remember that if i could kick really fast in the hallway at my old house i could float up and down the hallway, now i'm gonna make a movie about a house where all this stuff actually happens

I never had stairs in any of the houses I've lived in so this whole thread just makes me feel left out ;_;

Pretty cool experience. Too bad you can't it again. I've heard a few stories of people (adults and children) who were supposed to take a pretty bad fall, but *somehow* managed to come out of it unharmed.

Edited by piperjay