Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hypnagogic Stage of Sleep

psykeeper

I've read some books on astral projection, and most of them did mention entering astral projection via the stage between awake and deep sleep. I did some research on that, and learned about the two stages of sleep that seem to trigger astral projection or a variety of other intuitive powers. Those two stages are called hypnagogic (awake to deep sleep) and hypnopompia (deep sleep to awake). I have experienced astral projection and remote viewing on total accident. I noticed that most of my accidental experiences with astral projection has been when I end up maintaining the hypnogogic stage of sleep.

My theory on voluntarily astrally projecting is to enter the hypnogogic stage of sleep, and maintaining it. I do want to experiment on this theory, and I have done a couple experiments, both which have been successful. The experiments I've performed was based on my observations of my experiences. I observed that the astral projection occurrences have been in situations where I was listening to something either repetitive or monotone. So, I used auditory things like the sound of a mentrome or a plane droning to keep my awareness present as I fall asleep.

Those two experiments have produced successful results too few times, but I do want to start experimenting with other ways to keep my awareness as I enter that state of sleep. Any ideas, anyone?

• Like 1

One that I see suggested time and time again is leaning your elbow upright against a solid surface while you are going to sleep, the idea is that when you enter this state you'll lose control of holding your arm upright and this will wake and ir's supposed to give you greater control over the state as you get used to it. As for it's effectiveness I can't say, I'm too lazy to keep my arm upright for that long. The most success I have had is with the methods you've posted, concentrating on droning sounds seems to work best for me.

I believe from a neurological point of view that 'astral projection' is actually a form of lucid dreaming. I also believe that it is impossible to maintain this stage of sleep as well.

When you sleep this is your brains recharge time as well as the bodies. Ever notice you yawn a lot more before sleep? This is actually your brain overheating, to prove this next time your tired place an ice pack on top of your head and the yawning will stop within a minute or 2. The brain NEEDS to rest or it can't function properly.

From my point of view as a brain doctor in training astral projection does not exist. It is simply you slipping into heavier dream states without you being aware consciously and the whole experience is just a dream. The brain is interesting and don't underestimate it's ability to trick you via the subconscious when you fight it to hard.

• 4 years later...

Sorry for the Gravedig but I came across this topic on Google when i was researching Hypnagogic, and i have to agree with the OP. I to have noticed that Astral Projection only comes on during very deep twilight zone stages of sleep. This is through my own personnel experience.

So, I used auditory things like the sound of a mentrome or a plane droning to keep my awareness present as I fall asleep.

However i am a little skeptically of the plane repeating noise theory. How much success have you had using this technique?

I have experienced astral projection and remote viewing on total accident.

Also you say you have experienced Remote Viewing on accident. I believe i have to when ever i was practing AP. However i am only able to "View" my Surrounding environment it seems. I can't seem to extend my consciousness past it whenever these images form in my eyes.

Edited by stevemagegod

Hypnogogia and ap are definantly close on the continuum of conciousness. But I will tell you from personal experience take it as you will. Hypnagogia is slightly above the margin of ap. it's not the same. Ap happens just below if it were to be a rainbow :).

Edited by Seeker79