Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dream with Top Hat Man

jimmy22

Hi,

I came across this board and well...wanted to share a story/experience that I had hoping maybe someone else has gone through the same thing.

I was maybe hmm.. 16 at the time, I had this dream that this top hat guy, an old man with a suit/top hat came towards me, as he came over me, its like he entered me I woke up, scared out of my mind. Anyways, soon after this experience, I started having anxiety/panic attacks/feeling always scared/weird thoughts/seeing shadowy floating things everywhere in my vision etc.

I was pretty messed up for a while, there was a point where I nearly went crazy, everything seemed to go downhill from that day.

It took a lot of time, I am now 26, and to say that it took until I was 24 to actually develop some confidence/and overcome this. Once I became more and more confident in myself I noticed that I started to feel a lot better, now I am completely fine, but still carry this memory from a long time ago. I look and feel this as a positive as it made me a stronger person, but still wonder if anyone has ever had an experience like this before.

Hi,

I came across this board and well...wanted to share a story/experience that I had hoping maybe someone else has gone through the same thing.

I was maybe hmm.. 16 at the time, I had this dream that this top hat guy, an old man with a suit/top hat came towards me, as he came over me, its like he entered me I woke up, scared out of my mind. Anyways, soon after this experience, I started having anxiety/panic attacks/feeling always scared/weird thoughts/seeing shadowy floating things everywhere in my vision etc.

I was pretty messed up for a while, there was a point where I nearly went crazy, everything seemed to go downhill from that day.

It took a lot of time, I am now 26, and to say that it took until I was 24 to actually develop some confidence/and overcome this. Once I became more and more confident in myself I noticed that I started to feel a lot better, now I am completely fine, but still carry this memory from a long time ago. I look and feel this as a positive as it made me a stronger person, but still wonder if anyone has ever had an experience like this before.

Similar yes - I was in my teens too, an entity, a lady in an old black lacey victorian style dress would affect me in similar ways - very scarey actually and later I found that she resembled my grandmother whom I'd never met . I found the best way to deal with it was to use the occult and not the doctors or medication - but you know it can be different for everyone in the end. I just felt better for being able to expel her.

About 6 years ago I was asleep and about 3am, I rolled over to my side and saw a very tall man wearing a top hat and a cloak standing next to my bed. I screamed, my ex husband woke up, he started screaming. I’m not sure if it was because I was screaming, or if he saw it too. He said he thought he saw something, I kept yelling what did you see?, what did you see.?.he just said a man by your side of the bed. I asked him to describe what he was wearing but he couldn’t, he said it was a flash, then he was gone.

The top hat was the 1st thing I saw, and to this day I am scared I will see him again.

I am hoping it was just a dream, because if he was real it was the creepiest thing I have ever seen.

About 6 years ago I was asleep and about 3am, I rolled over to my side and saw a very tall man wearing a top hat and a cloak standing next to my bed. I screamed, my ex husband woke up, he started screaming. I’m not sure if it was because I was screaming, or if he saw it too. He said he thought he saw something, I kept yelling what did you see?, what did you see.?.he just said a man by your side of the bed. I asked him to describe what he was wearing but he couldn’t, he said it was a flash, then he was gone.

The top hat was the 1st thing I saw, and to this day I am scared I will see him again.

I am hoping it was just a dream, because if he was real it was the creepiest thing I have ever seen.

its pretty interesting, there are too many encounters of this kind to even keep track of,

wonder what they are or the point of them...

Hi This is my first post I wanted to reply to your post about men in top hats.

When I was about 10 or 11 I woke up suddenly in the night and looked over at the window to see a man in a full black sort of victorain outfit top and tails with a black top hat on, he was standing on the roof and had an umbrella opened up above his head. I was frozen with fear but eventually ran to my parents to tell them. Naturally there was nothing there but even twenty years later it is still so vivid.

• Like 1

Hi,

The description and details you give really make me think of a shadow person, now there are many different theories on what and who they are some people feel they are malevolent people or beings from another dimension trying to gain something from our insight/perception/minds the thing that gets me with shadow persons is they all have the same story they are very much unlike the typical ghost sighting they are always very menacing and leave a great impact on those who experience that is very much different from a ghost sighting like i just said, look into shadow persons if you don't know about them, it really fits what you have talked about.

Shadow persons are not only something that is seen just during a dream but people claim to see them while wide awake and doing typical activities, they also have ties to the men in black, ET's, and astral projection, now I don't know how much i believe in this all being true as it's hard for me to look out side of my own logic and pre conceived notions of what is real and not, but shadow persons are very interesting and extremely creepy at that and some of the stories that go along with them include missing time/following stange events,abductions, all sorts of things some of the stories are really rather terrifying.

Or it could have been something as simple as a sleep paralysis or "old hag" event where it was simply just a dream where you wake up and have a fear and feel something is watching you/sitting on your chest and you can't breath and have an impending feeling of doom but i'm sure you know what this is.

• Like 1

Hi,

that is so scary, my old middle school (right now i am in high school) it has a woods behind the school and there is a scary ghost/ a person that is dressed up in an old suite and a top hat (we also call him top hat man) that lives there and he always used to follow us around, and one day, i saw a (about) 5ish ft snake wrapping around his leg, (my friend also saw it) and the snake was like black and scary, my friend said he was the devil...

if you go back there sometime he is following you, and other times, he is leading you... Very SCary

I had an encounter with a similar being a couple years back, but this one had actually possesed one of my roommates. I would suggest caution in dealing with these beings.

I had an encounter with a similar being a couple years back, but this one had actually possesed one of my roommates. I would suggest caution in dealing with these beings.

wow, that is extremely scary, especially about the shadow people,

i'm not sure what or why or even if they exist, but the experience I will not forget,

I saw this as something that preys on those somewhat fearful, insecure, or negative,

during this period in my life, I would hear a lot of knocking, sometimes there would be a knocking under my bed, or it felt like something had a hold of my mind,

it was a really disturbing period in my life, I became depressed, anxious and constantly nervous, insecure etc.

what I am getting at is, that if you or anyone you know is having issues like this, for the most part, confidence, and a belief in yourself seems to lessen the power that something like this may have over you,

I wonder what it was, and probably will never know, but I am a positive person and usually find something good to come out of even the most disturbing experiences,

this was most definitely something paranormal or even evil entity, I could sense that there was something around me, like it was attached to my back following me around...

Hi,

When I sleep I use to experience this kind of things.

Supposingly a deamon tried to change me so I would be something or other... painfull, also people heard weird screams from my room (though I don't think that is true. Why would I scream ... uh anyways).

I had something similar, though it seems that I don't have pain dreams (for now). I wonder how long that will last before the deamons brake the defence of both angel, god (wich I don't belive in by the way) and spirit guides. But then again... I say I am a deamon and not from earth so some would say these things are invented by the mind. :ph34r:

When I sleep I use to experience this kind of things.

Supposingly a deamon tried to change me so I would be something or other... painfull, also people heard weird screams from my room (though I don't think that is true. Why would I scream ... uh anyways).

I had something similar, though it seems that I don't have pain dreams (for now). I wonder how long that will last before the deamons brake the defence of both angel, god (wich I don't belive in by the way) and spirit guides. But then again... I say I am a deamon and not from earth so some would say these things are invented by the mind. :ph34r:

I didn’t get a feeling of demon, but then again, I am wouldn’t know if it was a demon if it slapped me in the face. I am always leery of things being automatically called a demon.

I do know that what I saw was very real, and it was one of the reasons I joined UM in the 1st place…To see if others have seen the same thing, and it’s even scarier to me that others have described exactly what I saw. I was hoping it was just a bad dream.

I knew since my ex saw something too it was highly unlikely, but it gets me through at nights because I live alone, and I would have an absolute heartattack if I rolled over and ever saw that again.

I just want to know what it wanted, and why was it there in the 1st place.

I didn’t get a feeling of demon, but then again, I am wouldn’t know if it was a demon if it slapped me in the face. I am always leery of things being automatically called a demon.

I do know that what I saw was very real, and it was one of the reasons I joined UM in the 1st place…To see if others have seen the same thing, and it’s even scarier to me that others have described exactly what I saw. I was hoping it was just a bad dream.

I knew since my ex saw something too it was highly unlikely, but it gets me through at nights because I live alone, and I would have an absolute heartattack if I rolled over and ever saw that again.

I just want to know what it wanted, and why was it there in the 1st place.

I only call it a deamon because the guy told me he was (and normaly kids on 5-6 years don't have scary dreams, that give pain, tear asunder your clothes in claw paterns, make you say and do freaky things in your sleep without leaving the bed and that would be more creepy than any horror movie made today. SO I think I belive the guy in the dreams.).

I think I understand your reasons.

When I finaly got enough of abnormal experience that I just trew of as "Imagination", I choked my own heart when I could not explain away the worst thing that happend that made me feel I had to share it. SO I understand you. It is not a nice thing to sudenly have something beside your bed (or for my case, over you, heavy, blue white hands and screaming in your ear). Defentlie not a bad dream... belive me...

It would be a happy world if there was nothing like reality, because reality is were bad things hapens.

Best luck to you. ^_^

• 2 years later...

I remember an incident up here in Pelican Narrows with one of my wife's cousins having an encounter with a similar entity at the local creek where a lot of weird stuff happens from time to time over the years.But anyway,he and another buddy guy saw the same thing at that location in the shadows during the night and it really scared the hell out of them!My understanding is that it is some sort of negative energy being taking on that form from what I was told.

• 5 months later...

I have had two dreams with this man in them. He is so evil he oozes evil in my dreams and I don't want to go near him. The first time he showed up was about 15 years ago and the dream was very dark and there were other evil people with him. I was being shown a black and white horror movie from an old Victorian camera. There was a woman entombed in a wall. The whole dream was unlike any other dream I have ever had in that it held a type of realism to it and an urgent sense of danger. When I awoke I was sure glad the dream was over but I noted how unusual it was.

The second time he showed up was about 2 years ago. I was on a path and the Top Hat Man was standing down the path talking with two other people that were also evil. My man stands quite tall at about 6' 5", thin and wears a black top hat and a black coat. He looks sort of Abe Lincolnish but I don't remember his face. The other two people were shorter and stocky. One was about 5'10" and the other about 5' and stocky. They aren't wearing any hat. I saw them down the path and they seemed to notice me but were interested in something else and were engaged in conversation. I acted as though I didn't see them and quickly backed away and then woke up.

• 2 months later...

I was 13 years old when I saw the Top Hat Man. I remember waking up, or thinking that I was awake and looking up to a mobile hanging from the ceiling of my bedroom. The mobile was of the solar system. At that age I had a deep fascination for the comic book X-Men and at that moment I thought to myself, "I think I can make these planets move with my mind." So I focused on these planets and to my amazement they began to slowly spin. Then they began to spin a little faster. In that moment I realized that I was not controlling the spin of the planets and I became frightened. The planets began to violently spin and thats when I heard a demonic laughter. The planets broke from the strings and I looked towards my bedroom door. A man in a black top hat with a white face stood laughing at me with the most disturbing, dark laugh I have ever heard. I tried to scream or move but I was paralyzed. I finally woke up and ran out of room screaming. Everything in my room was normal and the mobile was not broken or anything. Needless to say I had trouble sleeping by myself after that.

I am now 29 years old and about 5 years ago I was on my way to work and I was listening to Coast To Coast AM. A caller called in and asked George Norry if he has ever had any callers call in and ask about a man in a black top hat laughing at them with a demonic laughter. Until that moment I could at least discredit my experience as a dream. Now I know that it was not just a dream and whatever this man in the top hat is he is real...at least in some dimension.

I have had many other paranormal experiences in my life none of which were as terrifying as this one.

• 1 month later...

I have to add an experience I had when I was about 6 years old.

I remember being in morning Kindergarden in Indiana where we lived in an old farm house. My mom would pick me up from kindergarden and she would feed me lunch then take a nap on the couch. While she was sleeping I would see a man, maybe pail without facial hair, he wore a black suit and had a tall top hat on. We would play a strange game, I would see him peek around a corner and smile at me. I would run to where he was and he would instantly be around a different corner. We would play for awhile, until my mom woke up. I dont think I ever said anything about it, and until recently I thought it was all my imagination. What made me reconsider my thought somewhat are all the other accounts of this hat man.

Unlike alot of stories I have read, I was not scared, he was not scary. In fact, I liked playing with this man. I am not sure how long this last, weeks or months, but I have never seen it again, as far as I know. My mother ended up dieing of cancer a few years later when I was in second grade, around 8 years old.

Is it possible that I have witnessed the same hat man or shadow person that others have discribed?

• 5 months later...

I have searched for this kind of shadow person. Finally a thread that sounds like what I experienced.

I was asleep one night. Dreaming. Altho I knew I was asleep and dreaming I seemed to be aware of everything else. At the foot of my bed stood a tall black figure and I describe him as looking like Abe Lincoln. A top coat and top hat. He just stood there. I was not afraid. I felt he was there to tell me something. As I half raised up in bed the figure was now on my right. In my mind I thought if I reached out and touched it I would know for sure if what I was seeing was real. About half way thru my reaching out tho I also thought well what if I die if I touch it? So I immediately woke up and was sitting up with my arm outreached.

It was the strangest and most real thing even tho I was sleeping I knew I was sleeping and dreaming however I also knew that I was not alone in the room.

Have never had it happen since but will never forget that.

• 6 months later...

So, when I was in about 3rd grade or so I was laying in bed, trying to go to sleep. My bedroom door was open and I look up to see a figure standing in the doorway. The first thing I noticed about the figure was the top hat, and how tall the figure was. (About six feet or so.) I had trouble sleeping that night, due to nightmares I don't quite remeber. Anyway, a year or so later I had a friend sleepover at my house. (I hadn't told anyone of the man yet) We slept on the floor in the living room, with our back to the doorway. Early in the morning we awoke at the same time and looked at each other. After a short silence my friend said, "Did you see him too?" We both agreed we had seen, dreamt, or just sensed the man in the top hat standing behind us. We later learned saying "Man in Top Hat" would cause bad luck, or cause him to appear later. So we came up with a name for him, "M.I.T.H" A few months after this my friend saw M.I.T.H again, but at someone elses house. M.I.T.H appeared in random places,(He once appeared sitting at my sister's desk in her bedroom, she asked if anyone had come into her room that night, but everyone said they hadn't.) but usually during the day, and he brought with him an clear sense of discomfort. When I turned about 13 M.I.T.H stopped appearing. But today I was surfing around the internet and found a story about a figure wearing a top hat, while reading this story My computer screen scrolled down, but I thought nothing of it. Then It started scrolling again and I stood up from the chair while it was still scrolling. It stopped in the middle of the page where my mouse pointer landed on a comment that was almost just like my story.

• 1 year later...

I also had a experience and i do still hear and see things that im still trying to figure out what going on, talk to my sister but she think it my mind playing tricks on me and it isn't real but i knew what i saw was real

Before i share my dream, i must tell you that before i went to bed i heard a whisper saying " Dont you go to sleep " and then i went to bed with the lights on. in my dream i rose out of bed and i could see everything in my room and the scaring part was the lights was still on but anyways after i rose up from bed i turned my head and saw this hat man but mine was wearing a white top hot, gold chain necklace, his face was like freddy kurger and long white pants/coat and sitting next to my chair that was next to my closet. the creepist part was while i stare face on, he tip his hat at me and shake his head like i did something wrong. after that i got out and try to open my door but it wouldn't open than i scream and saw my roommate on the sofa with her headphones on than all of a sudden i woke up and it was 4 in the morning. Now can anyone explain this to me plz?

• 2 months later...

My brother let himself be bound to one of these things. It promised him power in exchange for his life force. He has had random violent outbursts since where he acts like a completely different person. One time a friend I had was able to sever the connection for a short while. My brother kept ranting about it being right outside my window and that he wanted to go to it. My friend said that there was a large black "cloud like" thing directly over him and he called on God to cast it from my room. It still gets hold of him on occasion though. I know what they are, to an extent that I can keep them from getting in my head most of the time. However they do succeed sometimes and in moments I am so drained that I am straining to even be self-aware and fully concious. These things are completely bad. Do not let them in. Do not give them your fear. If at all possible try not to even think about them at length. That draws them in like water to a sponge.

• 1 year later...

I have searched for this kind of shadow person. Finally a thread that sounds like what I experienced.

I was asleep one night. Dreaming. Altho I knew I was asleep and dreaming I seemed to be aware of everything else. At the foot of my bed stood a tall black figure and I describe him as looking like Abe Lincoln. A top coat and top hat. He just stood there. I was not afraid. I felt he was there to tell me something. As I half raised up in bed the figure was now on my right. In my mind I thought if I reached out and touched it I would know for sure if what I was seeing was real. About half way thru my reaching out tho I also thought well what if I die if I touch it? So I immediately woke up and was sitting up with my arm outreached.

It was the strangest and most real thing even tho I was sleeping I knew I was sleeping and dreaming however I also knew that I was not alone in the room.

Have never had it happen since but will never forget that.

So I read this and noticed that my mom saw the same thing when she was a kid she explained to me and my brother that he had a top hat and looked like Abe Lincoln like you said. I find this really strange reply when you can.

• 1 year later...

Im 16 years old, mind you i got up at 6:52am and could barley sleep. i was sleeping and i see from a nice distance a very very tall man standing at a side angle looking at me, with a two tailed suit and hes very tall. he had very long legs i dont think i seen a hat, but i remember how long he was. Kind of like a giant compared to me (5'4) he had all white skin. i forced myself not to think of it when i woke up, then i seen a tall shadow at the foot of my bed but i ignored it and went back to sleep. my story seems to differ from everyone else because he had no hat. the uniqueness of it is that we were in a small town but he was standing in front of a while unnamed building   

I had similar experiences with "shadow people." No hats, though. It's something that can happen, especially if you're suffering from trauma or stress. You have to realize that you're in control of it, and whatever phenomena you're experiencing is coming from you. If you feel you need something to hold onto, whatever belief system you have can also work for you. That's why some people are able to get rid of it by calling on Jesus or Buddha or whatever, and some are able to get rid of it using occult methods. It's ultimately tied to the psyche. If you heal the psyche...no more monsters. 

Edited by ChaosRose

• 4 months later...

I saw this man at about 10 while I went to the store... He was very tall with a black hat and coat and it was raining outside. As I passed him he said hay little boy would you like some change, and as I looked I his hand I saw coins from different places and ages, even though I was only ten I could tell that these were ancient coins. I was afraid of him and said no and hurried past. When I turned around he was still standing there staring at me with his hand extended. Sometimes in my mind when I contemplate making a bad decision financially I have the thought that I'm taking him up on his offer... this was 29 years ago. When I got home I described him as the man from poltergeist, and that's exactly who he looked like to me. Nobody has ever believed me and then I see this thread...