Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Worst haunted tour EVER!

Staceyinfo

My best friend and I drove down to LA Tuesday to catch a moving sale at the place I buy my vintage inspired clothes and to visit her boyfriend who is working down there.

First day we did the shopping so the second (and last day) we were deciding whether to do a Hollywood ghost tour or visit the Queen Mary, which would take on another 45 minutes of driving time on the way back...

So anyhoo, we decided to go all out and do the Queen Mary visit, which I am sooo glad we did. It is just the most beautiful, astounding, amazing place I have almost ever seen. If any of you love Art Deco as I do, the beauty of the architecture on such a grand scale, is a lifetime experience.

We were fortunate to get a personal tour by the ship Captain and it was just the two of us. He was so friendly and a great docent! He knew so many little stories about the movie stars that had been guests and the period in WWII when it had been used to carry troops. After we finished touring with him, he sent us to the part of the ship where they do the ghost tour. That is when we underwent the most disgusting display of overdone hokey shtick I have ever witnessed (and I mean EVER!).

From what I know of the alleged hauntings on the Queen Mary, we were taken to some of the supposed more active areas of the ship, but who could tell? They completely wired the place up with mind numbingly loud special effects noise, music and flashing lights. The pool area, where we stopped at first, had been rigged with loud thunderous crashes and voices that were supposed to sound like ghosts wailing and screaming. At one point, the pool started filling up with fog (I have no idea why). They pointed to the bottom of the pool that was a little wet, and said it was a paranormal phenomena, that the pool surface always remains wet, although there is absolutely no water in it. But between all the stuff they had rigged up, it is hard to tell if that is the truth...

We walked through a hallway where they sprayed us with water and had things brush all over your head - you know - total haunted house crap. Honestly, my friend and I both had the exact same thought - if there were ghosts there - it was an insult and so disrespectul to them, to turn it into such an overblown display of vulgarity.

Has anyone else been there? Did you feel the same way? Thanks for listening to my rant! Other than that area, the rest of the ship is the best thing since sliced bread!

Stacemeister

Edited by Staceyinfo

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Staceyinfo

• nyuk

• coldethyl

• brlesq1

Wow. They start the halloween haunted houses out there early. Sound like you should have went with the other tour. Thanks for the info.

i can just imagine what that tour was like, and i can't stop laughing. Those people should give out real ghost tours and save the shinnanigans for halloween.

I also love Art Deco, I'm a collector, and the next time I'm in LA I'll be sure to go see the QM. Thanks for the tip about the ghost tour, I'll stay away from it. Sometimes I think people wouldn't recognize a ghost if it came up and bit them on the butt and that's why they have to do the circus act.

If you're ever in Miami, FL check out old Miami Beach. It's Art Deco in pastels. :tu:

I've been on that Queen Mary tour and there were no bell-and-whistle effects. I think what you experienced was genuine. And it's impossible you had that tour guide, because I looked up the registry and it says he died in the 1930's. :o

I've been on that Queen Mary tour and there were no bell-and-whistle effects. I think what you experienced was genuine. And it's impossible you had that tour guide, because I looked up the registry and it says he died in the 1930's. :o

Oh brother...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiMqpQBU3yA...feature=related

The above is a taping of the exact tour I went on...Wow!

Here is the name of the man who gave us the tour:

Roy Sorge

Ships Officer/Chaplain

p.o. Box 8

Long Beach, CA 90801

(562) 590-8490

I heard him say he was the acting captain of the ship. If I heard wrong, I apologize, but you dont have to put it in the way you did, that implies I am making up the whole visit. JHC.

Edited by Staceyinfo

that place has been debunked alot,namely by T.A.P.S.

Oh brother...

Roy Sorge

Ships Officer/Chaplain

p.o. Box 8

Long Beach, CA 90801

(562) 590-8490

I heard him say he was the acting captain of the ship. If I heard wrong, I apologize, but you dont have to put it in the way you did, that implies I am making up the whole visit. JHC.

I think they were being sarcastic.

LOL, oh, you poor thing! That still made me giggle, though, I'm sorry. If I were there I'd totally be pulling pranks every thirty seconds, lol.

Oh brother...

Roy Sorge

Ships Officer/Chaplain

p.o. Box 8

Long Beach, CA 90801

(562) 590-8490

Since the ship isn't at sea anymore, and has no captain so to speak, then he is in charge of the ship, hence i assume the term acting captain.

If they do have all this junk going on, it does make it difficult to determine what was a real genuine paranormal experience and just a fake one.

That's like when TAPS went to the Moss Beach Distillery,which is supposedly haunted by the ghost of the Blue Lady. She was a patron of the place back in the 1920s, who had an affair with a man who worked there. She was later murdered by her husband a gangster.

I first heard of the place on Unsolved Mysteries with Robert Stack as host. It was at that time owned by some lady. I guess it went through several hands before the current owners took over. AT THE TIME OF THE ORIGINAL SHOW ABOUT IT, there were no tricks, whistles and bells to the place.

Sometime after the original owner appeared on the show and sold it, someone added the special effects which TAPS discovered.

This of course blows the haunted reputation of the place all to hell.Which makes one doubt the stories so TAPS was right in saying neither place was haunted.

I do recall on I think Unsolved Mysteries them going to the Queen Mary. Dr.Roll, who was called in and investigated the Haunting in Georgia where the little girl saw the ghost of Mr.Gordy and other spirits(see the tv show A Haunting In Georgia,should be on youtube.com) investigated the Queen Mary.

They placed a tape recorder down in the bowels of the ship, around the area where it had damage during WW2. No one goes down there except maintaince staff and is NOT on the ghost tour. When they retrieved the recorder and played it back they picked up banging sounds and voices.No one human was down there when this was recorded.

The Menger Hotel in San Antonio is one of the oldest hotels in the US. It too is haunted. But they don't rig the haunted areas with special effects.

Several other hotels in downtown, the Guenther,St.Anthony, Emily Morgan and Crockett Hotels are also haunted as well.

There maybe real paranormal activity on the Queen Mary, but because of the stupidity of the people running it, we won't know.

@ Stacey

I am honestly laughing and crying at your story. That is so sad and dissapointing, and at the same time hilarious.

@ Stacey

I am honestly laughing and crying at your story. That is so sad and dissapointing, and at the same time hilarious.

Lol. Thank you Paul...I hope someday I will be laughing and not crying!!!

I think they were being sarcastic.

Ah....sarcasm is hard to detect at times when it is done in writing...

I wanted to go to queen mary too, but I heard of people actually feeling stuff. I got too scared. A friend of mine went a couple of months ago and they had all the fog crap going on too.

I wanted to go to queen mary too, but I heard of people actually feeling stuff. I got too scared. A friend of mine went a couple of months ago and they had all the fog crap going on too.

Oh Birdie, do not be scared! Its not like ghosts are jumping out at every corner! I used to work on a haunted ship and I hoped things were jumping out at every corner (from the rumours they were). It turned out in the 3 years I worked there I didnt see SQUAT!

Plus, the Q.M. is sooo beautiful. Its not to be missed if you love beauty...I cannot wait to go back!

I think what you encountered was a wraith, or the astral form of a person- living or dead. Did this ghost guide deliver a message of any kind? Usually wraiths foretell the future or act as messengers. And this "fog" you've seen was probably ectoplasm, a type of substance used as a conduit for ghosts to manifest in a quasi-solid form.

Unless it's with Pol, who is 99.9% sarcastic. :P

Sad story though. The captain sounded nice, but it sucks he would let that kind of stuff go on, imo anyway. For the money I guess. After the TAPS incident where someone messed with the recorder, I wouldn't have given the ghost tour a first glance. :/ Sounds like they're all in it for the fame and fortune, if you ask me.

As P. T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute." (I think it was W. C. Fields who noted that there were two born every minute in the post-WWII era.) Anyway, you should never go anywhere, no matter how haunted it's supposed to be, expecting to see a ghost. If ghosts were common, more people would see them. I've never seen one, but then, I don't expect to. People usually see what they expect or want to see. In short, we're lousy observers.

All that hoopla at the QM was just some cynical a**hole's attempt to make a buck off other people's beliefs and expectations. I don't mind getting what I pay for, and usually insist on it, but getting more than I pay for either disappoints me or makes me angry. It seems there's very little left in America that is genuine and real. Everything's artifical--and for sale. It's depressing.

Not everything left in America is artificial--though it is usually for sale...

Indeed. I think the reason I am quite adept at picking it up is because I use it so much myself!

Ohhh, that’s so disappointing. You would think that they would know that silly antics like that, only takes away from the rest of the stories they tell you.

I would feel so jipped.

As P. T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute." (I think it was W. C. Fields who noted that there were two born every minute in the post-WWII era.) Anyway, you should never go anywhere, no matter how haunted it's supposed to be, expecting to see a ghost. If ghosts were common, more people would see them. I've never seen one, but then, I don't expect to. People usually see what they expect or want to see. In short, we're lousy observers.

All that hoopla at the QM was just some cynical a**hole's attempt to make a buck off other people's beliefs and expectations. I don't mind getting what I pay for, and usually insist on it, but getting more than I pay for either disappoints me or makes me angry. It seems there's very little left in America that is genuine and real. Everything's artifical--and for sale. It's depressing.

Who went expecting to see a ghost?

Unless it's with Pol, who is 99.9% sarcastic. :P

Sad story though. The captain sounded nice, but it sucks he would let that kind of stuff go on, imo anyway. For the money I guess. After the TAPS incident where someone messed with the recorder, I wouldn't have given the ghost tour a first glance. :/ Sounds like they're all in it for the fame and fortune, if you ask me.

I will keep that in mind forever more...The day he wrote that, I was getting flamed on another board and my tolerence level was about 1 milimeter high...