Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Al-Sadr Next Bin Laden?

Gazz

Have we created a new terrorist monster

in Iraq?

Al Sadr is the young radical Iraqi Shiite

cleric that has been behind the current

conflicts in Iraq.

He is even behind the attacks on US contractors

that were burned and mutilated.

He has a vision of an Iraq that is ruled

by himself and other Shiite leaders, an

Iraq that is governed by radical islamic

law, very much like Afghanistan was under

the rule of the Taliban.

This man is the most wanted terrorist

in this war on terrorism at the moment.

US forces are raiding Najaf where he is

suspected to be hiding.

He gave a TV interview today.

From CNN.com Today...

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The radical Shiite cleric wanted by U.S.-led forces in Iraq said in a TV interview Tuesday that he is ready to die to end the U.S. "occupation."

Although he said he isn't negotiating with what he called the "occupation forces," Muqtada al-Sadr indicated that intermediaries are doing so and that he is leaving room for compromise.

Al-Sadr was interviewed by al-Manar TV, a Lebanese network run by Hezbollah.

Hezbollah is a militant group based in Lebanon that seeks to establish a fundamentalist Muslim state. It has launched attacks against Israel from Lebanon. Al-Sadr has expressed support for its stance against Israel.

"I am ready to sacrifice [myself] and I call on the [iraqi] people not to allow my death to cause the collapse of the fight for freedom and an end to the occupation," al-Sadr said.

U.S. commanders have said they want him dead or alive, and U.S.-led forces are trying to crush an uprising in several towns led by the cleric's militia, the Mehdi Army, and others.

Earlier Tuesday, the cleric was seen leaving a mosque in Najaf.

"I don't mind giving my life for this precious and dear country. But my message to the Iraqi people is that my killing shouldn't stop them from pursuing what they want as far as refusing occupation, their independence, and the propagation of Islam and peace around the world," he said in the interview.

"I am not important, I'm just a body, You are a proud and free people that refuses all occupation and all aggression. So, don't use my death as an excuse to stop what pleases God and what propagates Islamic law."

Al-Sadr said that "as far as the threats on my life are concerned," he's used to it.

"Killing, arrests or victory, we're used to this. Whatever God sends is merciful."

Al-Sadr said there are no "direct negotiations" between himself and "the occupation forces."

"Negotiations have been held through groups and parties. I do not negotiate with anyone who kills my people, the people of Iraq."

Full Report Link: From CNN.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope they can get this guy soon.

But there is a great chance they will

only create another even worse if they

do.

What a world.

Gazz

Edited by Gazz

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nancy

• TheLight

• fearfulone

• Gazz

Top Posters In This Topic

in Iraq?

Gazz? No, we haven't created this monster.

He is one of many that will follow, unfortunately for many years to come. He already existed and our intervention is allowing him the "freedom" to speak openly.

It is my "gut" feeling he WILL be eliminated as will those who attempt to take up his or similar causes, down the road. Granted, it is one long and very bumpy road.

Nancy crying.gif

See that's the problem of democracy, people can voice their opinions which may not be democratic.

So the question is: does a democracy need to eliminate all people whose opinions are non-democratic in order to remain a democracy (but then it's not a democracy anymore anyway because it prevents some opinions to be voiced) ?

It's kind of an interesting paradox, isn't it ?

TheLight

in Iraq?

Gazz? No, we haven't created this monster.

He is one of many that will follow, unfortunately for many years to come. He already existed and our intervention is allowing him the "freedom" to speak openly.

It is my "gut" feeling he WILL be eliminated as will those who attempt to take up his or similar causes, down the road. Granted, it is one long and very bumpy road.

Nancy crying.gif

Very well put.... thumbup.gif

Yeah...what Nancy said! tongue.gif

See that's the problem of democracy, people can voice their opinions which may not be democratic.

So the question is: does a democracy need to eliminate all people whose opinions are non-democratic in order to remain a democracy (but then it's not a democracy anymore anyway because it prevents some opinions to be voiced) ?

The Light......... Basically, your point is well taken and in many ways, makes sense.

However, this man has an arrest warrant with his name on it, for murder.

I agree that living in a country that is "occupied" by another force must be uncomfortable to say the least. Yet, the "occupation" has given a majority of the population reasons to smile and want to wake up day after day. The US will more than likely be in Iraq for years to come, in an attempt to maintain security and help to rebuild, not to control.

In a democracy, one has the right and obligation to speak freely. It is my opinion that what this Cleric has to say has nothing to do with democracy, or freedom or a healthy mental outlook for the future. If he were in the US? Odds are men in white coats would knock on his door and suggest he receive some medical intervention.

He is a radical, instigating uprisings, chaos and death. Do you consider these attributes of a democracy? I don't.

fearfulone? Awwww shucks, thank you! wink2.gif

Lest we forget that the United States occupied Japan after WWII, rebuilding infrastructure and modernizing industry, Now some sixty years later Japan is a driving force in the Global economy. Granted an Occupational force must be a royal pain in the posterior for some, but the future of an Islamic democracy is held in the balance now, many radicals will have an opportunity to voice their twisted views, and will be permitted to do so because that is a pre-eminent freedom that all democracys enjoy, but this joker isn't just voicing his view, by his directive civilians are being murdered, I say catch this coward and prosecute his ass for war crimes, don't let him die, far better his Ilk watch him fade away year after year, martyrdom indeed wink2.gif

Ok now translate the same situation to USA, here's the scenario:

a spaceship lands in Washington, EBEs arrest Bush (they could release him in the jungle with other monkeys from his own kind ? lol, I'm loosing focus wink2.gif) and tell the country they need to be put in the right path for their own good and that from now on they will designate who will rule our country and who will be allowed to trade with our country. What would be the reaction of the people ? Would they revolt or not ? You bet they would, and it is the same in Iraq. It's not a matter of good vs evil, it's simply a culture clash.

The bottomline is no matter how good your culture is you cannot force it on someone else without a reaction of reject, it's like kids, no matter how much advice you give them, they learn best from their own mistakes. Countries have to do their own revolutions to succeed at them.

TheLight