Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How can this be explained?

TNBecca

This is a story I've heard as long as I can remember and I'm wondering how it can be explained. This seemed like the place to ask given the psychology aspect.

My great-great aunt was committed to the mental institution in Marion, VA when she was 19. Her mother had been committed there when she was a child due to what would probably be called postpartum psychosis now. She was the oldest of 6 children. At 19, she met a guy who she fell in love with. He asked her to marry him and her father said no, she couldn't because he needed her to take care of the house and children. The guy told her he would come back, ask one more time and if she said no then he would never come back. He came back, her father still refused and the guy left, making clear he would never return. According to her siblings and other relatives, she sat down in a rocking chair, started rocking and quit speaking. They committed her to the mental institution because she would not leave the rocker except to sleep, would not eat and would not speak. Family said she never spoke to anyone ever again. The really strange thing was all who knew her and remembered her said she never aged appearance wise beyond 19. Her hair never went gray. She never got wrinkles or age lines. Relatives swore that when they went to the funeral when she died she looked like she was 19.

Assuming they told the truth, what would have caused her to not age appearance wise? Would it have been a psychological thing? I'm going to attempt to get copies of her medical records and those of her mother from the state library at Richmond. It will be interesting to see what they say.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Walker

• MysticOnion

• TNBecca

• dorto

This is a story I've heard as long as I can remember and I'm wondering how it can be explained. This seemed like the place to ask given the psychology aspect.

My great-great aunt was committed to the mental institution in Marion, VA when she was 19. Her mother had been committed there when she was a child due to what would probably be called postpartum psychosis now. She was the oldest of 6 children. At 19, she met a guy who she fell in love with. He asked her to marry him and her father said no, she couldn't because he needed her to take care of the house and children. The guy told her he would come back, ask one more time and if she said no then he would never come back. He came back, her father still refused and the guy left, making clear he would never return. According to her siblings and other relatives, she sat down in a rocking chair, started rocking and quit speaking. They committed her to the mental institution because she would not leave the rocker except to sleep, would not eat and would not speak. Family said she never spoke to anyone ever again. The really strange thing was all who knew her and remembered her said she never aged appearance wise beyond 19. Her hair never went gray. She never got wrinkles or age lines. Relatives swore that when they went to the funeral when she died she looked like she was 19.

Assuming they told the truth, what would have caused her to not age appearance wise? Would it have been a psychological thing? I'm going to attempt to get copies of her medical records and those of her mother from the state library at Richmond. It will be interesting to see what they say.

She died aged 19. Just had to wait till the cosmic was ready to recieve the body into the earth.

• 3 weeks later...

I think there is some sort of disease or disorder for this cause ive heard of it before.

I think there is some sort of disease or disorder for this cause ive heard of it before.

There are also other things one can do to slow aging to the point it almost seems to stop. There are many oriental cultures that teach these practices. It may be interesting to look into? ;)

Hmm, this reminds of of the movie " The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"

My wife is now 66. I will swear she looks as young and beautiful as the day she did when i met her 37 years ago.

Its either love, or a magic spell. (perhaps both :))

Edited by Mr Walker

My wife is now 66. I will swear she looks as young and beautiful as the day she did when i met her 37 years ago.

Its either love, or a magic spell. (perhaps both :))

i look very young and always have. im half through my 20s and i look 14 or can pass for 14.its in the genes i think because all of my family looks much younger then there age at any age. at 30 they look 21 and 45 they look 32. at 50 they look 38, 60 they look 45 ,

genetics could explain. i was 19 6 years ago and i still dont look 19 yet, i can pass for younger.. but i guess i could look the age.

poor lady, her father controlled her so much and wouldnt let her marry. maybe she did age but not that much like she looked young and barely got any lines.

maybe they meant she looked youthful like she did at 19 but passed for a person in her 30s? they just meant she looked like a young woman?