Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant prehistoric sand worm fossils discovered

UM-Bot

desert.jpg
Fossil evidence of a completely unknown prehistoric species of giant sand worm has been discovered in Devon, England. The giant worms would have lived 260 million years ago, long before dinosaurs roamed the Earth, growing up to 3ft long and 6in wide. Large burrow holes were found indicating that the creatures would have travelled beneath the surface.

"Scientists have found evidence of a giant prehistoric sand worm in an English seaside resort. Proof of the creatures' existence, which lived 260million years ago, has been found in Torbay, Devon. The worms, which grew up to 3ft long and 6in wide, are thought to have lived underground before dinosaurs roamed the earth. Experts at the English Riviera Geopark organisation have found large burrow holes that are said to have been made by the creatures as they travelled beneath the surface. "

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: The Telegraph

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Silver Thong

• :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

• WARRIOR FOR THE LIGHT

• Ashyne

I suppose compared to the normal worms today, they are huge. I would've expected/hoped for something more close to myths though.

Let's say, 30 feet long with 300 sharp teeth....

Too bad... only 3 feet long. Tremors was on TV tonight.

I know, I know... I suppose that, relatively speaking, a 3 foot worm is a giant but I was hoping for something more dramatic!

LOL... and here I was hoping there could be a reference to the so-called Mongolian Death Worm.

I was thinking the same thing. I suppose it would be too much of a stretch since the discovery is in England. It would have open a can of worms (pun intended) if the holes were found in Mongolia though. :D

Edited by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

I was thinking the same thing. I suppose it would be too much of a stretch since the discovery is in England.

Maybe it was really bad at following directions? See how I am keeping your hopes alive...

Edited by schizoidwoman

Maybe it was really bad at following directions? Ser how I am keeping your hopes alive...

Haha, it's not a Bugs Bunny cartoon. :P

the Mongolian Death Worm could really exist, given this startling discovery. for a long time the people of the Gobi Desert have reported a massive worm species living underground, but no evidence of them has been found. but with this discovery, perhaps more people will remember about the death worm and start a new expedition to seek it out (live or fossils).

We have giant worms living today, See link below,

Giant Gippsland Earthworms

Genus: Megascolides

Species: Australis

Location: Found only in a small region in Gippsland, Southeast Victoria, Australia

Length: Can grow to 13 feet (4m) [stretched]

Diameter: 3/4 inch (2 cm)

Longevity: Unknown, but may live 10 years or more.

Number remaining: Unknown

Link/pics

http://thegreencommunity.org/giant_worms.html

I hope they ruled out any natural geologic phenomena that can create these tunnels. Especially considered the tunnels were all over the area.

big worm it sound like the Tremors from the movie or the legend of the big red worm some have sayed that worm were the cause of the earthquake that happen in the area . so now we see big worm story are true

This does lend more credibilty to the Mongolian Deathworm since it, like this new worm, is a three-foot long, fat, sand-burrowing worm.

I was thinking the same thing. I suppose it would be too much of a stretch since the discovery is in England. It would have open a can of worms (pun intended) if the holes were found in Mongolia though. :D

LOL look at the pic in the article as well. I think it's a pic of Mongolia as that sure doesn't look like Britain LOL

Yah Talk about Fishing Bait if they would have been around right now.

Pavot

Pavot...Did you Black out??? Do you need an ambulance? Can you breath ok?? Pavot? Pavot!!!!!

Pavot...Did you Black out??? Do you need an ambulance? Can you breath ok?? Pavot? Pavot!!!!!

Holly Hell could you imagine the size of that fish? I mean Globster, doh graboid or was it just after the spice we just inhailed :blink: ok Where were we :mellow:

Could this be the Mongolian Death Worm??? :blink:

Holly Hell could you imagine the size of that fish? I mean Globster, doh graboid or was it just after the spice we just inhailed :blink: ok Where were we :mellow:

lol... Pavots avatar went to a totally black box... PAVOT!!!!!

nah...whale or the giant squid could easily swallow the worm in a gulp.

We have giant worms living today, See link below,

Giant Gippsland Earthworms

Genus: Megascolides

Species: Australis

Location: Found only in a small region in Gippsland, Southeast Victoria, Australia

Length: Can grow to 13 feet (4m) [stretched]

Diameter: 3/4 inch (2 cm)

Longevity: Unknown, but may live 10 years or more.

Number remaining: Unknown

Link/pics

http://thegreencommunity.org/giant_worms.html

Whoa, imagine what kind of fish you can get with bait like that!