Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fox Spirits

Ashyne

Fox Spirits are mythical creatures originating from Asia. In Chinese mythology, it is believed that all things are capable of acquiring human forms, magical powers, and immortality, provided that they receive sufficient energy, in such forms as human breath or essence from the moon and the sun.

The fox spirits encountered in tales and legends are usually females and appear as young, beautiful women.

There are three classes of fox spirits:

Hu Li Jing

Huli jing (hu li means fox, and jing means spirit) in Chinese mythology are fox spirits that are akin to European faeries. Huli jing can be either good spirits or bad spirits.

Kitsune

Kitsune is the Japanese word for fox. Foxes are a common subject of Japanese folklore; kitsune usually refers to them in this context. Stories depict them as intelligent beings and as possessing magical abilities that increase with their age and wisdom.

Foremost among these is the ability to assume human form. While some folktales speak of kitsune employing this ability to trick others—as foxes in folklore often do—other stories portray them as faithful guardians, friends, lovers, and wives.

Kumiho

The kumiho (literally "nine tailed fox") is a creature that appears in the oral tales and legends of Korea. According to those tales, a fox that lives a thousand years turns into a kumiho, like its Japanese and Chinese counterparts (the kitsune and the hu li jing). It can freely transform, among other things, into a beautiful girl often set out to seduce men. There are numerous tales in which the kumiho appears.

There is also a recent movie, Painted Skin (very good movie IMO), that tells of a love story involving fox spirits. You can watch it here:

Watch Painted Skin (2008)

Fox spirit stories are extremely common here, and just like the Nymphs of European lore, they are said to be the embodiment of man's lust and sexual urges, combined with the mysterious and unknown forces of Nature...

• Like 4

Very interesting! Thanks for posting this! The only fox in Nanticoke culture is always getting bested by Brother Rabbit or Brother Deer.

Lapiche

• Like 1

Oh wow. That was very informing! I had no idea what a kitsune aftually was in regards to spirits and stuff -- I only knew the whole anime mess. Thanks sooo very much!

• Like 1

I love tales about Fox spirits :) I once left some honey and milk for one, but it didn't come for a nibble. I don't think my house has any.

I love tales about Fox spirits :) I once left some honey and milk for one, but it didn't come for a nibble. I don't think my house has any.

you can usually find them in untamed woodlands or in the mountains. sometimes in rural villages, they take the form of beautiful young women and lure the village men away, to the fox spirit cave where it eats its victim.

• 2 weeks later...

In many Asian countries, Foxes are considered both sacred and malicious creatures. There are several Jinja (shrine) in Japan which has fox statuettes as their protective animal. Sometimes there are also legends of fox transform into humans to help other humans, usually if the fox is indebted to the human, like being freed from a trap.

thanks for posting that was very informative

Thanks

B???

• 5 years later...

well, its quiet fascinating. but even if i wish to meet a kitsune, i cant, my soul repels mythical creatures, ghosts etc away. maybe its for the evil ones. as i have tried communicating with supernatural beings but it never happened.

Welcome to the forums, vinayak kaul! How does your soul repel spirits?

• Like 1

well, its quiet fascinating. but even if i wish to meet a kitsune, i cant, my soul repels mythical creatures, ghosts etc away. maybe its for the evil ones. as i have tried communicating with supernatural beings but it never happened.

Now, I wonder why that is...

• Like 1

That sounds more like a blessing to me. You're probably better off not dealing with spirit creatures.

• Like 1

this will always keep me in suspence. its a blessing as the evil spirit creatures will keep away, but it is a limitation when it comes to the interacting with good spirit creatures.

QUOTE (Funky Poacher @ Mar 20 2009, 09:07 AM)

I love tales about Fox spirits original.gif I once left some honey and milk for one, but it didn't come for a nibble. I don't think my house has any.

you can usually find them in untamed woodlands or in the mountains. sometimes in rural villages, they take the form of beautiful young women and lure the village men away, to the fox spirit cave where it eats its victim.

i went deep into forests, remote mountains, never came across any such thing, i think i should try venturing in china and japan to find out huli-jing or kitsune!! but in the place of my origin, there used to be a custom where we used to offer sacredly prepared lentil rice on new moon night of later part of winter (january) and keep that rice outside so that 'yaksha'(This version of yaksha makes a peculiar animal like sound and bears some similarity with kitsune) would come to eat it. we used to prepare it to offer them so that good 'yakshas' remain more powerful than malevolent ones.

Edited by vinayak kaul

Thanks for the informed post, Ashyne. Perhaps that may be the root to Western men referring to a sexy woman as a "fox"

(See Jimmie Hendryx's "Foxy Lady")

Fox spirits are referenced in Akira Kurosawa's Ran, as well as in the Hellboy animated movie.

• 2 weeks later...

I love coming across a fox. I was driving last winter and saw one in the field to the right and it stopped turned and looked back at me. It was a beautiful sight