Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[New] Article topic option

Saru

A new button is now available on the boards at the top right next to 'New Topic' entitled Article.

Many of the threads started on the forum are primarily centered around discussing a particular news story or article, usually to do this you will need to manually copy and paste a section of the article text and use BBCodes to insert a source link. This new option instead provides two new fields on the post form in to which you can paste the address to the article and a portion of the article text. When you submit the new thread, the article will be automatically trimmed and formatted neatly for you with the source link included without the need for entering BBCodes or manually altering the layout.

I'd like to ask everyone to begin using this new system when starting a new thread based around a news story or article - its easy to use, it removes the risk of copying and pasting too much of the source text or of forgetting to include a source link and the result is tidy and easy to read.

In the very near future we will be moving away from having a 'Front Page News' board and instead will be picking member-posted articles to feature on the front page of the site, credited to the members who submitted them. Any article you post using the new system has the potential to be picked and featured.

So from now on, if you have an article to post remember to click "Article" as oppose to "New Topic".

If you have any questions or run in to any problems, please let me know, thanks. :tu:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Ghost Ship

• sarah snow

• Admiral Danger

exellent! i hope it makes things alot better when reading posts.

good idea. it will make things simpler.

that's also cool about the front page news although UM-BOT does a great job.

That is very good.....

Thaks

B???

Just a while ago I used this new way of posting an article. This imo is a great feature for posting. :tu:

Could this be a problem sometimes, in that it may promote material, web pages, other forums, etc?

Hhmmm .. on the other hand, I guess this 'problem' already exists when simply posting a link the old way. <Guess this shows why I'm not on any corporate "think tanks"> :)

Karlis

Whoops- only just spotted this!! :blush:

Sounds like it will be a good improvement, thanks, will give it a whirl when I have another newsy things to post from now on :tu:

I like the new plan.

What will happen to important news though like for instance the mud volcano on Mars?

Will those kinds of articles still be posted daily in a certain category in the forums?

If there is an important news story on the go then its likely someone will have already posted it, however if they haven't I can always post that story in the relevant section myself and then feature it on the front page from there.

The main goal is to have the front page news better represent and credit what the members have found, posted and discussed while also offering the advantage that the stories featured will be both more up-to-date and be discussed more thoroughly than those in the duplicate threads currently used in the front page news board section.

What about aesthetics. The pictures with the articles are nice to see each day. Is that an option for the new front page articles?

Pictures will still be included with every news story that is featured on the front page.

I'm finding this new posting system great and so easy to use, no problems with it at all :)

I'm finding this new posting system great and so easy to use, no problems with it at all :)

Totally agree with you, it's easy peasy lemon squeezy with the new tool/method :tu: