Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Blair Witch Legend not totally fake?

Mothmen

I saw one!

Did it scream alot and get lost in the woods?

The Snallygaster? You sure? It's suppose to be some sea mammals and land mammals mixed in. I read in my "Weird Maryland" book, that the Snallygaster stole farm animals and some children. During the Prohibition times, moonshiners brought the Snallygaster back to life. To keep nosey people away from their location. :/

I don't see how the The Blair Witch is based on The Snallygaster.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

No town called Blair ever existed in Maryland.

so sorry dipwad but before burkittsevile was burkittsville it was called blair,do a little reasearch before you make dumb statements you know deet deet about,i live in maryland,dont get better than that,bet your a limy? :w00t:

so sorry EDIT but before burkittsevile was burkittsville it was called blair,do a little reasearch before you make dumb statements you know deet deet about,i live in maryland,dont get better than that,bet your a limy? :w00t:

There is absolutely no need for the namecalling, so please lighten up.

• Like 1

<!--quoteo(post=2829253:date=Apr 8 2009, 03:40 PM:name=BlAh91)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BlAh91 @ Apr 8 2009, 03:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2829253"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well i think that there is some truth to it. Yeah they might have made some it up but i mean there was a real trial on the guy so there has to be some truth to it. I'm not saying that all of it is true but i am saying some of the imformation might be right. To tell you the truth i would love to go there my self and find out if its true. Its very intresting. It makes you think what really is out there<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think there wasn't a real guy on trial (if you mean the chap you mentioned in your first post), that's all part of the story.

like england itswings call me nightman6996@live.ca :rofl:

Obviously, real tales and other legends influenced the "Blair Witch" story but, other than that, it's a totally original product.

I actually had/have somewhere a book that detailed the "history" of the Rustin Parr character. It was a pretty interesting read and all but, at the end of it, there was a disclaimer stating that "any relation to real people, places and events is totally coincidental" and the name of the aurthor. Note, not the historian, the aurthor!

Actually, The Bare Wench Project was a much better movie. More believable characters, easier to empathize with, etc.

Actually, The Bare Wench Project was a much better movie. More believable characters, easier to empathize with, etc.

LOL! Yeah! And the scenery! The SCENERY!

I actually did see that one a little while after it hit the shelves of the local rental store. The girl I was dating knew that I liked the Blair Witch so, when she saw that one, she figured that I would like it too. She rented it site unseen! LOL!

so sorry EDIT but before burkittsevile was burkittsville it was called blair,do a little reasearch before you make dumb statements you know deet deet about,i live in maryland,dont get better than that,bet your a limy? :w00t:

I grew up near Burkittsville and lived near there much of my life. It was never called Blair; the local historical society proves that, and old maps can be found that show nothing in that area before the time that Burkittsville was actually founded. Do your own research. The Blair Witch story is fiction, plain and simple. And I've read up on the Bell Witch, and don't get why people say they're related, because there's nothing in common. Nor the Snallygaster, either. But I believe they got some ideas from the legend of Moll Dyer, in Leonardtown, MD (in Southern MD). According to that legend, she was an old woman accused of being a witch; her home was burned down during a harsh winter and she was chased out of town. She was found the next morning, frozen to death, with her hand on a rock and the other raised in a cursing gesture. Supposedly she cursed the town and any misfortune is blamed on her. The rock is now standing on the grounds of the Leonardtown Historical Society and is supposed to bear the imprints of Moll Dyer's hand, and weird things are said to happen there, including cameras malfunctioning. I've visited there several times, and there is an imprint that's kinda sorta hand-like (but that could be natural), and my camera has never malfunctioned and I never saw anything unusual there.

Just to add to some other things said here...if you read up on true-crime lit, and read the listings of real-life mass murderers and serial killers, Rustin Parr is conspicuously absent. That's because he's like Hannibal Lecter...FICTION.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I know this forum hasn't been used in a long time but I'm going to post on it anyway =) I also grew up outside of Burkittsville...which was never called Blair..however..there IS a Blair Valley in the area so I'm guessing that's where the name Blair came from. My grandmothers house is right around the corner from Burkittsville and I spent a great deal of my childhood there, and my mother spent her entire childhood at this home. Her house is located in the mountains of the so called "Black Hills Forest" .. I've never heard it called this ever but for the movies sake ya know =) Growing up I was told stories about a witch that lived in the mountains..and at the end of my grandmothers road there is a very old, run down, creepy house that is supposedly the witches house. She was never referred to as the 'blair witch' but it was said she did take children. I assumed it was just told to keep the kids from wandering off into the woods and getting lost..trust me no is camping up there.. those woods are very thick and not part of a state park or anything..you would get lost very easy and not easily found. Perhaps some of the ideas for the blair witch came from stories I heard and my mom heard as a kid..but the blair witch story is certainly fiction. The poor town of Burkittsville was practically ambushed by people when this movie came out, people stealing their signs, etc...it was terrible for them..a little town that you can drive completely through in 5 minutes and never even knew you were there unless you were looking for it! Anyway, just my two cents!

Edited by LadyCharm
  • Like 2

Chronology of the Blair Witch's Story According to this site (sorry, if it's Hungarian) the town of Blair was in North Central Maryland, two hours from Washington D.C. I don't know if it's true. :unsure2:

Btw I like both the film and the legend. For me it doesn't matter whether it has a real basis or not. BUT! The dry leaves don't rustle if no wind blows. (No smoke without fire).

I actually get confused still about what was used that was real. The Rustin Parr thing I thought was real and used as an influence, then I realised that it and the documentary that occumpanies the BW DVD was all fictional.

Despite most of it being made up, it's a fascinating story, and I thank the person who wrote this up last year. It's a good summary of a great story. :tu:

As far as the movie franchise goes, I really enjoyed the first one... but the others looked a little silly, so I never saw them. I can't remember how many there were, I know there was one sequel for sure... :unsure2:

The sequel was very different from the original and could of been a stand a lone film. I watched it only last year for the first time and it's not that bad a film y'know. But it's not done in a mockumentary style and it sticks with the lore of the blair witch but doesn't have the isolation and town tales and interviews ect that suit the whole blair mythos.

Check it out though.

The sequel was very different from the original and could of been a stand a lone film. I watched it only last year for the first time and it's not that bad a film y'know. But it's not done in a mockumentary style and it sticks with the lore of the blair witch but doesn't have the isolation and town tales and interviews ect that suit the whole blair mythos.

Check it out though.

Hmm, interesting. I never heard much about it, I heard it wasn't a mockumentary (which is what I really like about the first one, as well as other movies that use that style), but I might just check it out. On my next random movie night I may grab it. :P

Edited by Sarka

I tried playing one of the Blair Witch games on PC but gave up, cos the camera angles were annoying me. They're suppose to be creepy, think there's 3 of them.

• 1 month later...

Chronology of the Blair Witch's Story According to this site (sorry, if it's Hungarian) the town of Blair was in North Central Maryland, two hours from Washington D.C. I don't know if it's true. :unsure2:

Btw I like both the film and the legend. For me it doesn't matter whether it has a real basis or not. BUT! The dry leaves don't rustle if no wind blows. (No smoke without fire).

Eduardo Sanchez, one of the film's writers/directors was from Montgomery County, Maryland. He is an alumnus of Montgomery College. There is also a Montgomery Blair High School in Silver Spring, MD. There is not now, nor ever was a town in Maryland called "Blair".

Eduardo Sanchez, one of the film's writers/directors was from Montgomery County, Maryland. He is an alumnus of Montgomery College. There is also a Montgomery Blair High School in Silver Spring, MD. There is not now, nor ever was a town in Maryland called "Blair".

Thanks for the correction! I have searched on Google Map the area in WV for any references with the name "Blair". Nothing have found, only a road called Blair. See the map

Has this place anything to do with the Blair Wich Legend? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the correction! I have searched on Google Map the area in WV for any references with the name "Blair". Nothing have found, only a road called Blair. See the map

Has this place anything to do with the Blair Wich Legend? :rolleyes:

I highly doubt it. The Blair Witch Legend is made up. I'm sure given enough time, everything that made up the legend can be found. That does, however, depend on whether or not the legend was entirely made up.

• 11 months later...

The Blair Witch Project was developed in 1994[3] by the filmmakers. The script began with a 68 page outline, with the dialogue to be improvised.[3] Accordingly, the directors advertised in Back Stage magazine for actors with strong improvisational abilities.[4] There was a very informal improvisational audition process to narrow the pool of 2,000 actors.[5][6] In developing the mythology behind the movie, the filmmakers used many inspirations. Several character names are near-anagrams; Elly Kedward (The Blair Witch) is Edward Kelley, a 16th century mystic. Rustin Parr, the fictional 1940s child-murderer, began as an anagram for Rasputin.[7] In talks with investors, they presented an eight-minute documentary along with newspapers and news footage.[8] This documentary, originally called The Blair Witch Project: The Story of Black Hills Disappearances was produced by Haxan Films.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blair_Witch_Project Look under the section that says PRODUCTION

Edited by cj2o

I find it absolutely hilarious that people are still questioning whether or not there's any truth to the Blair Witch nearly a decade after the fact. Of course, it's all fictitious, but regardless of that, I think that it shows how much talent and effort was behind The Blair Witch Project, and is also part of why it will always be one of my favorite films.