Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman has 'phantom' third arm

UM-Bot

hand2.jpg
A 64-year-old woman who suffered a stroke is now in the possession of a third arm that she can see, feel and move yet which does not physically exist. The rare phenomenon is known as a supernumerary phantom limb.

"A 64-year-old woman has reported to doctors at Geneva University Hospital the presence of a pale, milky-white and translucent third arm. After examining the case, the woman's neurologist, Asaid Khateb of the hospital's experimental neurophysiology laboratory, called the rare phenomenon credible."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | linked-imageSource: Swissinfo.ch

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• .i.

• Resonance

• theSOURCE

• WoIverine

Wow, just wow. Very interesting!

They said it could represent a missing link between classical phantom limbs and phenomena such as out-of-body experiences.

Imaginary movements of the woman's paralysed left hand prompted the same activity in the brain, but on the right side.

No that's something else. For some reason, the brain doesn't recognize the damage from the stroke.

Edited by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

That's so strange, absolutely fascinating!

Hmmm this is very very strange and interesting at the same time..

The article says that she can see, feel and move her phantom arm.. Can she really see it?

This is quite an enigma..! I am very sure that if she taps into her psychic form (by long meditation and telling herself that she will move it and thinking that her arm is real and all that...) and and tries to move object, she will succeed. Mark my words... She will succeed.

now that is cool ! I could use one of those to scratch the itches that I get just I get in a comfy position to sleep !

^ :D

Maybe she is experienceing a arm that exists in another parallel universe? :blink:

*facepalm*

As far as supernatural speculations go, that makes no sense at all. A stroke evidently damages someones brains, and because of the error the subject suffers from a something like this. It's just ridiculous to think something like a stroke opens a super natural portal to another dimension, and there we see......an arm. Yea right. Read the 2nd comment under the article made by this Dr. Scott guy.

The only thing that's truly amazing about this, is how the brain turns it's own errored perception, in a for the subject, real life visualisation. So infact, perception is reality. Quite stunning.

Maybe we all have three arms (or four) and just haven't seen them yet.

Maybe we all have three arms (or four) and just haven't seen them yet.

Try telling that to the one growing out of my forehead, nyah!

*facepalm*

As far as supernatural speculations go, that makes no sense at all. A stroke evidently damages someones brains, and because of the error the subject suffers from a something like this. It's just ridiculous to think something like a stroke opens a super natural portal to another dimension, and there we see......an arm. Yea right. Read the 2nd comment under the article made by this Dr. Scott guy.

The only thing that's truly amazing about this, is how the brain turns it's own errored perception, in a for the subject, real life visualisation. So infact, perception is reality. Quite stunning.

Okay, please refer to the website: dictionary.com...

I would like you to look up the word 'speculation'.

Supernatural speculation could honestly mean ANYTHING.

So, what gives you the right to say it makes no sense?

Do you even know how a parallel universe is theorectically possible?

Apparently not..

The right of free speech? Just back of smartass, I'm not having a discussion of over misplaced words or a sentence that could've been formulated otherwise. And that my understanding of a freaking half arsed theory about a parallel universe get's involved over an article about the errors in the human brain caused by a stroke that makes a woman sense a non existing arm is just ridiculous. I'm not gonna go there.

*facepalm*

Ok, It makes no sense to you then. And I'm not saying that this is what's causing the arm, I'm just saying maybe, who knows.

That's so strange, absolutely fascinating!

I agree, weird but interesting!

The right of free speech? Just back of smartass, I'm not having a discussion of over misplaced words or a sentence that could've been formulated otherwise. And that my understanding of a freaking half arsed theory about a parallel universe get's involved over an article about the errors in the human brain caused by a stroke that makes a woman sense a non existing arm is just ridiculous. I'm not gonna go there.

I think you misunderstand. It's called a discussion board.

If you claim anything on this board, I have every right to doubt you, and ask you to clarify as to why you believe it... Just as you have every right to ignore me. You blatantly prove here that you are too innept to substantiate why it is you think he's incorrect.

Now, I don't think that the 'parallel universe' idea has any correlation to the ladie's new arm, yet it could easilly still be plausible.

Have fun not 'discussing' this with me... you've already proven your ignorance...

Just for your info, you'll be asked by more than me for evidence of your claims on this board.

Get used to it.

Edited by Resonance

It's a well known fact that we are multi-tentacled beings trapped in this dimension which only allows us to perceive only two arms and two legs. :rolleyes:

Seriously people...

This is a case of mental aberration cased by physical trauma (in this case a stroke) to the brain.

Extra-dimensional limbs are the stuff of fantasy (man, I could go into adult territory with that one....but I won't :P ).

It's a well known fact that we are multi-tentacled beings trapped in this dimension which only allows us to perceive only two arms and two legs. :rolleyes:

Seriously people...

This is a case of mental aberration cased by physical trauma (in this case a stroke) to the brain.

Extra-dimensional limbs are the stuff of fantasy (man, I could go into adult territory with that one....but I won't :P ).

No sh1t?

Duh, I was just proving a point.

Okay, please refer to the website: dictionary.com...

I would like you to look up the word 'speculation'.

Supernatural speculation could honestly mean ANYTHING.

So, what gives you the right to say it makes no sense?

Do you even know how a parallel universe is theorectically possible?

Apparently not..

Great :tu: Nice to see once in a while!

No sh1t?

And you perceived my reply to be an attack on you just how exactly...? :huh:

No sh1t?

Jeez, chill. o_o It's a discussion on phantom limbs, not a murder trial.

I think this is interesting, but I want to know just how she sees it. Where is the arm, how does it function (as in, on her body)? Is she only perceiving it, or does she seriously see it as a solid object? (The article says the arm can scratch a very real itch, but it apparently isn't with her all of the time. Like, she calls upon it when she "needs" it?) Too weird.

Edited by Ebonykrow

Seriously people...

Well, I guess you won't have to worry then because I'm not here to prove my idea. But I don't like when people ridicule me because of their narrow views. The mental aberration physical trauma thing that you speak of is a medical term I guess, but my idea is more about physics and the multiverse theory and how everything, therefore your mind also is linked to these possible universes. And the double slit experiment shows us how particles seems to split up into many, so there's something called quantum superposition, particles seems to exists in more places then one at the same time, and there's this theory that particles jump in and out of existence, where do they go? One could only speculate. But simply put, I guess my idea was that parts of her brain exists in two places at once. Weird things could happen in a multiverse.

EDIT: And this double slit experiment seems to have something to do with the observer, so when something bad happens that affects our mind, then who's to say that weird things like this can't happen with our consciousness when weird things happens all over the universe when we're not looking.

Edited by brawl

Well, I guess you won't have to worry then because I'm not here to prove my idea. But I don't like that people in here try to ridicule me because of their narrow views. The mental aberration physical trauma thing that you speak of is a medical term I guess, but my idea is more about physics and the multiverse theory and how everything, therefore your mind also is linked to these possible universes. And the double slit experiment shows us how particles seems to split up into many, so there's something called quantum superposition, it tells us how particles seems to exists in more places then one at the same time, and there's this theory that particles jump in and out of existence, where do they go? One could only speculate. But simply put, I guess my idea was that parts of her brain exists in two places at once. Weird things could happen in a multiverse.

EDIT: And this double slit experiment seems to have something to do with the observer, so when something bad happens that affects our mind, then who's to say that weird things like this can't happen with our consciousness when weird things happens all over the universe when we're not looking.

I'm in no way trying to ridicule you (lighten up).

I'm not sure how you understand the multi-verse hypothesis, but from what I understand it does not mean that there are multiple copies of our existence in an infinite amount of existences (consisting of infinite amounts of origins, outcomes to actions, etc.).

Depending on which theory you subscribe to there are either 10 or 11 dimensions which make up our current understanding of the universe in which we live in. These are not separate realms of existence, but rather, substructures which make up our universe.

The multi-verse hypothesis regards other mathematical universe type structures which may be similar to our own, or which may consist of completely different physical laws than those of this universe.

The idea of a parallel universe mirroring our own is simply the realm of science fiction (or new age beliefs).

If I'm in error, then please post links to sites with legitimate scientific papers regarding such. I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong.

In any case, relax. This is only an online forum.

The article says that she can see, feel and move her phantom arm.. Can she really see it?

This is quite an enigma..! I am very sure that if she taps into her psychic form (by long meditation and telling herself that she will move it and thinking that her arm is real and all that...) and and tries to move object, she will succeed. Mark my words... She will succeed.

i think she can already move objects with her phantom arm, as it said in the article that 'the woman can use the apparitional extremity to relieve very real itches on the cheek. It cannot penetrate solid objects.'

The phantom arm cannot penetrate solid objects!