Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Voodoo ..My religion..

Papa Midnight60

I am Papa Midnight

I have been a Houngan for a very long while, I am hoping to spread understanding and love, I want people to understand Voodoo is a commune with spirits not a practice of evil.

Do you know the differance?

A lot of peopel give me grief because they dont understand why I sacrifice a live goat or cut off a chickens head for a ritual, I woudl like to share any thing I can answer here..

Voodoo is a life affirming practice that encourages its participants to better understand the natural processes of life and their own spiritual natures.

Santeria: In the Spanish Islands, the new religion became known as Santeria (the worship of the Saints).

I am going to try to answer any questions so be patient with Papa, as I also have my patients and clients to do each day, I will answer evey question to my best.

Papa

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Papa Midnight60

• Dr. Peter Venkman

• Beckys_Mom

• Lt_Ripley

Welcome to UM Papa. I've never heard of a Houngan. Is it like a priest?

Thats exactly what it is.

Papa

Thats exactly what it is.

Papa

I see. ok. So these chickens and goats and furry critters ya sacrifice. What type of rituals do you use these animals in? And what do you use them for after the ritual is over?

Could you tell us a bit about the Saints? Do they represent anything specific?

A little background for those new, it may take Papa time to get to teh questions as I move at my own pace, be patient I have many I help.

The religion of Vodoun as currently practiced bears little resemblance to its ancestral practice. Presently there are an estimated 50 million worshippers worldwide. The central belief of the religion is in spirit possession, through which the gods speak to the devotees only for a short time during the ceremonies. However, the faithful believe that the work of the gods is present in all aspects of daily life, and that pleasing the gods will gain them health, wealth, and spiritual commitment. Vodoun is almost universally practiced in Haiti, but also is practiced in many cities of the United States such as New York, New Orleans, Houston, Charleston, South Carolina, and Los Angeles. In the United States it is recognized as a legitimate religion. The major portion of this article describes Haitian Vodoun.

The origins of the word vodoun, according to etymologists, stems from the term vodu, meaning "spirit" or "deity" in the Fon language of the West African kingdom of Dahomey, which is now Benin, and some parts of Togo West Africa. In the 18th century, the Creoles (whites born in the New World, usually of Spanish or French ancestry or perhaps being of mixed blood), masters of the Dahomean slaves, translated the word into vaudau. The Creole language was derived from French, with distinct African patterns of phonetics and grammar. Eventually from this came various spellings of the word, some which were considered derogatory. Vodoun or Vodoun is preferred by the faithful who not only consider their practice a religion, but also a way of life.

Background link

Papa

I want to make some bottles for attracting lwa but I don't really know which spirit I want to attract. Is there a sort of, generalized, or all-lwa-encompassing method for a vodou bottle? Also what can I put in the bottle as an offering that I can basically shelve for a long period of time and not have to constantly mess with?

I know Damballah, Ogou, Ghede, and Zaka prefer drinks like sirop d'orgeat(??), rum, rum with peppers, or wormwood but I really don't want a bottle of alcohol or food on my shelf. I am new to all this and don't want to offend any spirit or offer something they don't necessarily like.

Also, is it possible to make one for Kalfu or is he unreachable? And what "practical" offering could I make for Kalfu? And what is Kalfu's veve?

Edited by Pol_Pot_Lives_Again

I want to make some bottles for attracting lwa but I don't really know which spirit I want to attract. Is there a sort of, generalized, or all-lwa-encompassing method for a vodou bottle? Also what can I put in the bottle as an offering that I can basically shelve for a long period of time and not have to constantly mess with?

I know Damballah, Ogou, Ghede, and Zaka all prefer sirop d'orgeat(??), rum or peppers, and wormwood but I really don't want a bottle of alcohol or food on my shelf. I am new to all this and don't want to offend any spirit or offer something they don't necessarily like.

Also, is it possible to make one for Kalfu or is he unreachable? And what "practical" offering could I make for Kalfu? And what is Kalfu's veve?

Papa see's you are quite knowledgeable in what you want and really don’t need to go to such lengths here, I am very proud of my religion and I do not take it lightly I don’t sell potions, I come to speak to people on my views and help bring a prejudiced away from Voodoo as an evil practice and hopefully make some friends. I will give this a simple spell for anyone who just seeks love in their life. And I can pray a spell of easement for you if you like.

Papa

Edited by Papa Midnight60

Love Spell

First you must clean your bathroom, clean everything, the mirrors, the counter, the sink...you get the picture.

Then cover all the mirrors in the room with either pink or white sheets.

Next light three white candles and place them around the tub.

Draw a bath and add your choice of bath milk, salts or bath beads. You can even use scented bubble bath or scented soap. You should also but on a mushy love songs CD or just something that means something to you and that person...

Get in and focus on the person that you want called to you. If you don't have anyone in particular focus on what you want in a lover.

Chant "Negativity is washed away, I am renewed as of today, Many heads will turn my way, the ones I choose will wish to stay." While washing your body. Do everything you would normaly do, shave wash your hair...

When your done washing repeat, "Negativity is washed away, I am renewed as of today, Many heads will turn my way, the one's I chooses will wish to stay. I am loved, I am loving, I am love and love myself." Let the water out while repeating this a few times.

Papa

A lot of people give me grief because they dont understand why I sacrifice a live goat or cut off a chickens head for a ritual, I woudl like to share any thing I can answer here..

You need to be prosecuted if you actually do that to animals. I doubt that you actually do though. And I don't know if I would call "voodoo" a religion.

Edited by Moon Demon

OK, maybe that was a bit dramatic on your part Moon Demon, but after any animals are sacrificed they are then eaten. I am sure the processed chickens you or others might eat are killed in a much more inhumane manner.

You need to be prosecuted if you actually do that to animals. I doubt that you actually do though. And I don't know if I would call "voodoo" a religion.

This is my religion, I respect yours don’t judge me by mine; I said I was here to show we are a very real and deeply spiritual religion. Yes I do sacrifices but I did not come to discuss this part yet, we are not at that level of understanding yet as I have just got here. You understand. Plus live sacrifices are burnt, there is a “wave” offering just passed over the alter for those who want to take the animal home for cooking later.

Papa

Basically I just want to know about Met Kalfou (Carrefour?) but am having a hard time finding information on him and from what I've heard, it's not wise to to work with him if you're not well-educated on him or treat him carelessly. And if I invite Kalfou and bad things DO start happening, does that mean that any wanga performed would be ineffective because I would essentially be asking him for a favor anyways? If I make a bottle for him and never ask for a favor, I don't really understand any reason that he could get mad at me, but then again, I am new to vodou and I don't want to make any foolish offerings or mistakes.

Edited by Pol_Pot_Lives_Again

OK, maybe that was a bit dramatic on your part Moon Demon, but after any animals are sacrificed they are then eaten. I am sure the processed chickens you or others might eat are killed in a much more inhumane manner.

Ha ha You are sacrificing live animals, and I am the one being dramatic?

classic

Edited by Moon Demon

Don't worry, I won't come back to this thread to taunt you. I say let children play out their fantasies.

I am glad you wont be back if this is how you disrespect someone. I do not think Rosewin is doing any such thing, But if you would like me to I will tell you; its the burst of energy that leaves the animal body when sacrifced that is used for a spell...

I am a Christian Moon Demon so do not sacrifice any animals but know well enough your opinion is uninformed and prejudiced.

+ that is quite interesting Papa...the burst of energy and such...I can see how the dynamics work in that form.

Edited by Rosewin

Thanks Midnight. :tu:

classic

Its his religion. Who are you to say its wrong? And yes you are being Dramatic.

I am a Christian Moon Demon so do not sacrifice any animals but know well enough your opinion is uninformed and prejudiced.

+ that is quite interesting Papa...the burst of energy and such...I can see how the dynamics work in that form.

Yes its powerful, I understand some will reject it, it’s why I am here to help in understanding, not to wage battle. He is fine being upset for his beliefs, I accept that. The sacrifice is not eaten but burned. That why some now ask for a "wave" sacrifice where they can eat the intended animal, I just wave the animal over the alter instead of doing the ritual, but the one who asks for the sacrifice for whatever reason that is must kill and use all of the animal for the spell to work

Papa

while I , like other religious opinions , don't believe in it , it is however interesting . I thank you for bringing this view to the boards. It's refreshing and breaks up the monotony. ! :D

Love Spell

First you must clean your bathroom, clean everything, the mirrors, the counter, the sink...you get the picture.

Then cover all the mirrors in the room with either pink or white sheets.

Next light three white candles and place them around the tub.

Draw a bath and add your choice of bath milk, salts or bath beads. You can even use scented bubble bath or scented soap. You should also but on a mushy love songs CD or just something that means something to you and that person...

Get in and focus on the person that you want called to you. If you don't have anyone in particular focus on what you want in a lover.

Chant "Negativity is washed away, I am renewed as of today, Many heads will turn my way, the ones I choose will wish to stay." While washing your body. Do everything you would normaly do, shave wash your hair...

When your done washing repeat, "Negativity is washed away, I am renewed as of today, Many heads will turn my way, the one's I chooses will wish to stay. I am loved, I am loving, I am love and love myself." Let the water out while repeating this a few times.

Papa

Love spells huh. How many diffrent type of love spells are in the voodoo religion?

:w00t:This is a great thread.....I have a lot of questions ^_^ . Ok First, a lot of times vodoo is portrayed as something used for evil, does that happen often and have you ever personally used or given someone a spell to get back at their enemy? Second, I would like to know if it's really true that you have to believe in vodoo for it to truly work for and against you? Last. what are the vodoo theory's on life after death or the afterlife?

You may bathe at sacred shrines, you may give offerings, and do thousands of rituals and all sorts of clever tricks. But even still the filth of your mind will not be washed away. Your rituals render you useless. You are still so puffed up with egotism.

God abides in all living beings, how dare you kill them. If you are religious, then who do we call the butchers?

My point... your mind is still dirty, ostentatious displays are false. Meditate from within. From your heart. How can you call killing a justified action. Who will be pleased my murder? Good or Bad?

If you truly cared, you would sacrifice yourself, not an innocent being.

Edited by Haj01

You may bathe at sacred shrines, you may give offerings, and do thousands of rituals and all sorts of clever tricks. But even still the filth of your mind will not be washed away. Your rituals render you useless. You are still so puffed up with egotism.

God abides in all living beings, how dare you kill them. If you are religious, then who do we call the butchers?

My point... your mind is still dirty, ostentatious displays are false. Meditate from within. From your heart. How can you call killing a justified action. Who will be pleased my murder? Good or Bad?

If you truly cared, you would sacrifice yourself, not an innocent being.

Oh plz. A dirty mind? What makes you think your silly little god is better?

This is a breath of fresh air wow it's been awhile LOL Thanks for coming to UM and sharing Papa Midnight. I know very little about Voodoo and hope this thread continues as so far it's been pretty damn interesting. I say teach us the ways as many here are so hung up on religion me included that sometimes we forget how interesting other forms of belief are practiced. Nice thread Papa :tu: