Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Local Pub & Happenings

sarah snow

Man, that's the kind of ghost I'd want to be!--the kind that kicks dogs and punches people in the head! You can't get away with shennanigans like that while you're on "this side." You'd get fined or thrown in jail! What an entertaining way to spend eternity! How, exactly, does one go about becoming a "mischievous" ghost?

It's classic isn't it? :lol: I really wish I had not had to work, as I was told it was a surreal experience being told that as they were telling of the tap on the head and why the dog behaved that way, the entity was actually laughing about it to the medium :lol:

Next thing I'll be involved in as well as my background research for them is stopping overnight there, we're going to do a vigil which I am really looking forward to :yes:

Edited by sarah snow

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sarah snow

• schizoidwoman

• CausticGnostic

• bLu3 de 3n3rgy

With such a feisty prankster in residence, it ought to be interesting! Please let us know how it turns out.

I'd be cautious, however, with placing too much trust in anything a so-called medium tells you. I think most of what they say is just an over-active imagination freely "filling in" unverifiable details and telling you what they think you want to hear. . . .

With such a feisty prankster in residence, it ought to be interesting! Please let us know how it turns out.

I'd be cautious, however, with placing too much trust in anything a so-called medium tells you. I think most of what they say is just an over-active imagination freely "filling in" unverifiable details and telling you what they think you want to hear. . . .

Whis is why I am investigating 'facts' through research, to try and see what tallies up, if anything :tu:

Edited by sarah snow

Just found this very interesting thread. I really believe you have something there. A pub may often have loads of activity because many people visit them over the years. You'll get spirits who might enjoy returning :)

That is REALLY clear, isn't it? If you take other photos pf the same area, does anything show up that could be throwing a shadow or similar?

I am sooo intrigued by this...

That is REALLY clear, isn't it? If you take other photos pf the same area, does anything show up that could be throwing a shadow or similar?

I am sooo intrigued by this...

Not that I can see, SW. It is a really clear picture isn't it. I think we've all been a bit stunned by it, on top of all the happenings there. I was in there yesterday having a good mooch about, and I can't see what could have caused it. I'm always trying to keep in my head that it could be a trick of the light though, always a possibility.

Further update is that I spoke to my neighbour last night, and the face he says is the spitting image of "Jimmy"...turns out that Jim was an ex landlord of the pub. He's given me surnames and rough idea of dates, so I can now get cracking and try to pin down a photo and further information on all the other aspects :w00t:

Edited by sarah snow

The face almost looks clear enough to be a rough odd reflection in the wood. That would be really interesting to see a photo of "Jimmy" for comparison.

The face almost looks clear enough to be a rough odd reflection in the wood. That would be really interesting to see a photo of "Jimmy" for comparison.

I checked on that, LA, and nobody could have been standing there in order for it to happen. It's certainly a puzzle :blink:

Will come back to you if I do manage to track down a photo, there must be one around somewhere if he was the landlord. Just got to try and track one down now :tu:

there are so many haunted pubs in the cheltenham area, prestbury, this is the most haunted town in England i think.

there are so many haunted pubs in the cheltenham area, prestbury, this is the most haunted town in England i think.

I've always been led to believe that York actually is the most haunted town, and Chester often claims to be the most haunted city. But I'm sure that many others would like to make that claim too :) it's good for business ;)

I've tonight had an email from the paranormal team and thought you'd like to know what was sent. It's given me leads to follow, which I am delighted about as you can imagine :w00t:

Below is the report I have just today received from them.

"It was a very interesting place and they made us very welcome.

In the main bar area the door which leads onto the back lane felt quite active with residual energy. This felt as though it was tied in with animals and a farming aspect of the building. It felt that at one time this door was the main entrance that was used to enter the building.

An area infront of the main bar had a very unusual feel to it. It felt like a column of energy that was rising from the ground upwards. This type of energy is usually attributed to Earth Energy and in this case it felt like water. Dowsing rods were used to show where orginial walls stood in the pub and they also indicated water in this particular area. The landlord said he does not know of any waterway that runs under the building but having said that there is a manhole cover at the back of the 'lean-to'. The only other thing we could think of was perhaps an old well that may have stood there perhaps before the building was constructed. The 'lean-to' was not part of the original building.

In the area of the pool table we felt the presence of a male spirit. It was of a small man who seemed to be very busy. I was given the name of James and Jim. The other sensitive in our group was also given the same names. I felt that this part of the building was probably seperate from the rest of the building at one time. By this I mean that it was used for a different purpose, as though the building was sectioned of for different uses.

On the staircase leading upstairs we felt that it had a very 'heavy' feeling to it. The left of the room to the stairs felt very different to the right hand side. I felt the presence of a young woman here called (full name has been supplied). I was also told that she was a 'bit of a wrong one' and that she liked the men. I also felt that a young male was involved with her who had been involved in a bit of a scrap over her and had received a good beating.

It was felt that there was the presence of a male here who had hurt his wrist in some way whilst working with rope.

The area as you walk in off the road which looks like a sitting room felt perfectly okay, but as you walked into the 'inner' lounge area and stepped down there was a different feeling again. In this room there was a spirit pathway which went from this door, through the lounge, turned left towards the bedrooms, turned right and straight down to the end bedroom. We are not sure what that was about but it did not feel malicious. The medium felt that it was connected to a female who walked through to the end bedroom but then rushed back through again, thus laying down the energy pathway. I asked them if they had any doors slamming or problems with anything electrical through this area and they said they had. This would tie in with the way that spirit uses energy.

Also in the lounge area there was the energy of a male in the area at the back of the lovely settee (that I have my eye on, along with the lovely faery wall hanging on the other lounge wall!! lol!) I think this is tied in with a time when the room extended further back.

In this lounge there was also the presence of a lady who was telling me about her husband called Arthur. She was very proud of her 'Arthur'. She looked like she had a maids outfit on and I felt that she was 'in service' to a wealthy local family. She also told of how they had a long way to walk to church of a Sunday, but her and her Arthur always walked there. She just kept saying what a lovely man he was and very hard working.

Whilst we were in the building we didnt find any malicious spirit to be worried about. It is just an old building with lots of different energies from different layers of time. "

Plenty for me to be getting on with investigating myself. Now I just need an extra day a week to get myself to records offices etc. :lol:

I will let you know what I find out about the full name provided, any history or changes to the structure of the building that I uncover in my own investigations :)

Edited by sarah snow

It's a shame they couldn't give you any indication for the periods the people they refer to originated from, as that might make your research a bit easier. However, I know you live in a small village so there will likely be a fair bit of shared memory and stories passed along through generations, especially since a pub is often so integral to village life. Keep us informed of what you find!

I always assumed that, if hauntings are possible, places in "the Old World" would be more haunted than places in the "New World." But, of course, the Americas have been inhabited for thousands of years. Is there any evidence that places in Britain and Europe are "more haunted" than places in the Americas? I suppose that, going by sheer length of habitation, Africa ought to have the most ghosts of any place in the world. Or is just that the European/Christian culture believes in ghosts and thus reports them more often than other places?

It's a shame they couldn't give you any indication for the periods the people they refer to originated from, as that might make your research a bit easier. However, I know you live in a small village so there will likely be a fair bit of shared memory and stories passed along through generations, especially since a pub is often so integral to village life. Keep us informed of what you find!

Will do, chickadee! They have givenme some good detail to run with, and I'm hoping the archives etc might bear fruit. Also yes, there are local families who would remember things too, and I believe one of the local farmers is a bit of a history buff, so I can go and do some 'interviewing' and picking of brains vis-a-vis local knowledge :yes:

awesome! i am enjoying this thread! thanks Sarah!

So pleased, it's been very exciting being part of it here at my end too :tu:

I was just saying to SW that I just need an extra couple of days on top of my full time job and my volunteer work, and then I'll be able to check out everything swiftly :lol: But no, joking aside, I'm going to find a day as soon as possible when I can go to the records office and see what I can glean first of all about the direct full name we were given, and the structural things about the building. I'll let you know as soon as I uncover anything what I find out :yes:

Edited by sarah snow

I went into the pub tonight straight after work and had a good check about around the shelf and surrounding area.

It had occurred to me that there is a pool table which might have cast a light, and therefore created the reflection.

But on checking, the pool table lights are all with shades that do not allow the light to shine anywhere except downwards onto the table.

Wall lights could cast shadows, but the one bulb is not there (and certainly not at time of photo) and when I check other lights at the angle, it does not seem they could not have caused this phenomenon. I'm still at a loss to explain it :huh:

I've checked the grain of the wood up close today and although there are grains in the wood (it's been there for at least 21 years as far as I know) I just can't see anything that could explain the face right now.

I'm trying to approach it in a way where I can debunk it, as this seems the best way to go. Looking for all the possibilities that can explain the chance circumstances, but so far- nothing to report.

I'll keep you posted :yes:

It's a shame they couldn't give you any indication for the periods the people they refer to originated from, as that might make your research a bit easier.

I think I may be able to look into the lady who looked as if she was 'in service', SW. The village has a nearby manor house. There are also clues there about her husband complaining about the long walk to church. I can't confirm anything here as I need to investigate, but they may have hit on something I suspect that the paranormal team could probably not have known about the layout of the village and surround which might explain this.

I'll let you know, it's all on my part speculation at the moment, but I have some strong leads, let's say :yes:

WOW!! What a wonderful thread!!! Thank you so much for posting this for all of us. I think you are doing a great job and can't wait to hear more :tu:

Excellent stuff Sarah :yes:

There was just a small thing yesterday, when I was in during a quiet time chatting to my friend about my preparations for the next quiz.

I was sitting at the bar and I hear noises from behind the bar, right in front of me. I was sitting on a bar stool so had a full unobstructed view of where the noise was coming from, in strong light.

The bar area has that surface not quite like lino, but a harder surface.

Well as I sat there, from the room behind I heard the steps start and pad behind the bar. Dog sounds, just like the noise that their claws make when dogs walk on lino. I was actually expecting to see one of their dog, but of course they were all upstairs in the flat above as they always are during opening hours. They're only allowed down in the bar after hours.

As I still can't explain how I could have heard dog barks the other day, this struck me as peculiar. And this latest doggie incident yesterday- it wasn't late, I wasn't drunk, and I heard it clear as day.

But again, not a threatening feeling at all. Just odd :huh:

Edited by sarah snow

Stories about "ghost critters" fascinate me! But I've always wondered why an animal's spirit would hang around as a ghost. The only reason I can come up with is that it would be showing loyalty to its master or mistress, who would also be hanging around as a ghost.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm posting these on behalf of Sarah who sent me another Picture for comparison purposes to the first pic which revealed what looks like a face image. It's specifically taking a closer look around the shelf area, which has been pretty useful for studying the wood grain patterns and angles. Opinions?

linked-image

linked-image

Closer look at the wood grain

linked-image

linked-image

Thanks for doing that, LA :tu:

Hmm I see something in the mouth area but shoot nothing like the face pic really.

Some of the grain may have been mixed in there but the face is totally on it's own I don't see how the grain would contribute to above the lips??

No I don't think the grain is a factor here. That's just my own personal opinion. Thank's LA and SS nice job :tu:

Edited by She-ra

I think it's an ongoing adventure. Maybe something is trying to grab attention.