Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thunderbird photo

Murder 101

If you have the first edition like mine are (i don't actually know if there were any other printings) then I can save you some time. It's not in any of them.

i have only just seen this post after already checking and you are quite right. this one is a dead end, i can also confirm that its not in any of these books. <_<

i have only just seen this post after already checking and you are quite right. this one is a dead end, i can also confirm that its not in any of these books. <_<

When I was a kid I had a series of books on paranormal things and I want to saeyreey we're called Childcraft or something like that. I remember reading he stories in them from cover to cover. There were Nessie stories, Bigfoot, yeti, mokele mbembe, et al......anyway. I can't recall if the thunderbird was in the books or not. Something makes me want to say it was. I have long since lost the books so I have no idea anymore. something to check up on?

Edited because autocorrect is being particularly assertive today.. <_<

Edited by orangepeaceful79

This whole thing intrigues me, because I do remember this picture, I saw it in a book my close neighbour let me read when I was younger. I cant fully remember the name of it but it's very old and red with gold writing, I actually have it somewhere from when he passed away. But i'll bet its not in there, cos though i believe I saw it, I doubt myself because of this shared memory theory.

Honestly though, someone went around and removed the picture from every copy of every book it was ever in?

• 1 month later...

Hello, I'm sort of new to the forums; I've been lurking here since last summer and recently created an account. When you said Discovery, could you have meant Animal Planet? Or were you simply talking about the Discovery Channel itself because Discovery owns both and they're sister channels. Animal Planet had a program called 'Lost Tapes' going on. They did do an episode about the Thunderbird but I highly doubt this photo is in that episode. .

I saw this as a kid. It predates Lost Tapes by at least 10 years.

Edited by Murder 101

• 3 months later...

I believe it is "time" for those of use who distinctly remember the missing Thunderbird photograph to consider that the impossible has happened - that somehow, time has been changed in order to remove the evidence of this amazing creature's existence.

How else could every copy of the book be destroyed? I too, remember it being a "ripleys", or "mysteries" book, and these were most likely printed in large numbers - so find just one!

If I had only seen the picture once, rather than countless times, from the ages of about ten to fifteen, I would chalk it up to a suggested memory.

Rather, I am left knowing that the book once existed in a timeline from when I was a child, and now, it's as though it was never printed.

Last time I checked there was a ten thousand dollar reward for this photo - and i am sure many are still searching for it.

I do not believe it will ever be found.

My memory: 1970's- 1980

Giant, dark bird nailed to a barn. Old photo, black and white, or sepia toned. Men standing beneath it. Bigger than any bird known today.

As a poultry rancher, I have a pretty good eye for birds!

• Like 1

I tend to agree with the suggested memory theory. Everyone was a child when they believe they first saw this right? There are many memories I had from a child, and was almost 100% sure they were correct. It's not until I grew up and realised some of those memories were wrong, got messed up or something.

I think the existence of this single missing photo is an urban myth.

You only need compare a few recreation sketches of it to appreciate that no two people are remembering the same image, and they're all mental conglomerations of other existing - and equally as interesting - photos allegedly depicting thunderbirds.

Edited by Golly Buster
  • Like 1

I think the existence of this single missing photo is an urban myth.

You only need compare a few recreation sketches of it to appreciate that no two people are remembering the same image, and they're all mental conglomerations of other existing - and equally as interesting - photos allegedly depicting thunderbirds.

I think you are correct. I also *know* that I have seen this photo, but my recollection of it, though quite clear, is completely different than what everybody else remembers, which in turn is often different from what others remember, etc.

I do believe that the simplest explanation is that the photo never existed in the first place.

Check Readers Digest book, unexplained mysteries. Can't remember what year it was published but I recall seeing it in. that book.

no telling what's out there hiding in the deep dark worlds of the forests and backwoods!

Check Readers Digest book, unexplained mysteries. Can't remember what year it was published but I recall seeing it in. that book.

I have got Unexplained Mysteries, the photo is not in there. Apparently there are different revisions of this book, but I think they all drew a blank.

• Like 1

Have all the Unexplained Mysteries and Readers Digest books. Not in there.

Edit: Anyone remember OMNI magazine? Maybe it was in there, if it was ever real. Just an idea.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

This story has been doing the rounds for about fifty years. Once enough people have been told exactly what they're supposed to remember, some of them remember it. But not one copy of anything resembling that photo turned up before the invention of Photoshop. I'm not suggesting that anyone who claims to have seen the original picture is lying. It's an established fact that humans don't have perfect memories, and people often remember things that didn't really happen, especially if they've been told what to remember. That's why no court in the UK accepts hypnotically recovered memories as evidence.

Leaving aside theories which are either jokes or symptoms of clinical insanity, such as those suggesting that a vast conspiracy with the power to alter the past is erasing all evidence that some cowboys shot a really large bird for no reason at all, it should be noted that at least one of these pictures - this one - originates on a site that seems to consist entirely of increasingly wild hoaxes all concocted by the same man. And given the number of people who feel sure they saw this picture in a widely-distributed book or magazine the name of which they unfortunately can't remember, possibly as far back as 1950, it's a little odd that not one single copy of anything resembling this photo can be traced back any further than the invention of digital technology that makes it easy to fake such pictures. Printed copies of this supposedly widely-distributed picture that predate the computer age simply do not exist. Though if anyone can prove me wrong by finding one, I'd be as interested to see it as I'm sure we all would.

This story has been doing the rounds for about fifty years. Once enough people have been told exactly what they're supposed to remember, some of them remember it. But not one copy of anything resembling that photo turned up before the invention of Photoshop. I'm not suggesting that anyone who claims to have seen the original picture is lying. It's an established fact that humans don't have perfect memories, and people often remember things that didn't really happen, especially if they've been told what to remember. That's why no court in the UK accepts hypnotically recovered memories as evidence.

Leaving aside theories which are either jokes or symptoms of clinical insanity, such as those suggesting that a vast conspiracy with the power to alter the past is erasing all evidence that some cowboys shot a really large bird for no reason at all, it should be noted that at least one of these pictures - this one - originates on a site that seems to consist entirely of increasingly wild hoaxes all concocted by the same man. And given the number of people who feel sure they saw this picture in a widely-distributed book or magazine the name of which they unfortunately can't remember, possibly as far back as 1950, it's a little odd that not one single copy of anything resembling this photo can be traced back any further than the invention of digital technology that makes it easy to fake such pictures. Printed copies of this supposedly widely-distributed picture that predate the computer age simply do not exist. Though if anyone can prove me wrong by finding one, I'd be as interested to see it as I'm sure we all would.

The supposed sketch is different from another sketch from a member of this website who has it as his avatar, Murder101 I believe. Considering the various differences of the supposed photo (ie different colour print/reptile vs giant eagle/barn vs other backdrop etc) it could come down to what I theorised earlier, to do with memory corruption. I have proposed all the theories that I could think of, from the most plausible to the most far fetched (I assume you believe I'm clinically insane).

To simply dash aside something, no matter how ridiculous is incredibly ignorant, I believe every scenario should be considered whether believed to be possible or not.

After all, the stuff thought up and put into practice by people such as Tesla really stretches what is actually possible and centuries ahead of their time. So the most advanced technology out there I believe is not even known to most.

I have considered and outlined all theories I could think of in this thread from those which what I believe to be most likely to those I play devils advocate with and I deem extremely unlikely.

Apart from the recent thread posted on this forum about the Washington Eagle, given it did exist, may not explain this photo but the Thunderbird legend itself is probably the only new possibility I have seen as of yet.

This article concerning the elusive Thunderbird photo may be of interest.

http://www.strangema...erbird6_21.html

Thanks for the link!! Good information there.

Anyways I would definitely believe this photo was just mass hysteria kind of thing if I didn't see it more recently than most of you. I saw it probably 4-5 years ago in a book at a new library that had just been constructed. I don't remember the name of the book because I wasn't aware of this great hunt at the time and only saw the photo in passing. I've gone back to that library but I couldn't find the photo, that could be because it's such a huge library though, I still hold hope that somewhere in there the book is hiding.

• 3 weeks later...

I think you've found it.

Welcome to UM Unusual :)

I don't think he has found it.