Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pigman Road

MongoMagnificent

Anyone have any info on this one? Ever been out there?

Ever seen the pig man?

Jesse Hell was driving down Holland Road in Angola, taking advantage of the recent warm weather and clear skies. He and his best friend Paco thought nothing of it as they drove down the one-way street, careful not to steer off the narrow, barely existent paved road. They were unperturbed by the thick, massive forest engulfing them as they cruised along in the pitch blackness of the night, watching as a train went by over an old stone bridge. They were aware that this street was supposedly haunted, but being paranormal activity “experts,” they knew better than to eagerly await things that go bump in the night.

That is, until the train went from full-speed to a dead halt instantly, without a sound, warning, or slowing down of any kind. In disbelief at the speed of such a stop, Hell turned his car around to get another picture, and it was already moving forward at full speed.

Holland Road, located off NY Route 5 in between the town of Angola and Evangola State Park, is more frequently known as “Pigman Road” and it has been at the forefront of Western New York folklore for decades. Scores of high school students, ghost hunters, and area residents all have their own tales of headless spirits, photographic and audiotape abnormalities, and unusual activity emanating from this mile-long street. With an alluring mix of historical background regarding a train accident and urban legends about a pork-crazed serial killer, Pigman Road has become a rite of passage for anyone in the region wishing to access the world of the unknown.

The eerie feel of this location stems from a ghastly tale known as the “Angola Horror.” It was near the train tracks on Pigman Road where tragedy struck on December 18, 1867. A night just like any other turned into what would be the single deadliest railroad accident in Erie County history. Fifty people lost their lives.

The tragedy unfolded as a six-car passenger train was making its way eastbound to Buffalo and was approaching a bridge. A rear coach’s axle loosened enough to work itself off the tracks, pulling the car directly in front of it off its moorings as well. The rear car broke loose and went plunging down the embankment as the car that was torn off in front of it was pulled to one side and tipped over. The full force of the rear coach skidding downward from high above caused it to break in half as fire spread throughout. Nearly all of the passengers escaped this car, and only one person died. 40 others suffered severe burns, but the worst was yet to come.

The real damage was to the car that was pulled off and went rolling down the side of the embankment. The two massive coal stoves used for heating were loosened during the horrific commotion. The fiery contents scattered onto the helpless passengers who were caught in this death box, and soon the whole coach was engulfed by flames. These passengers were not so lucky. Before the rescuers could be sent to this location, 50 people were burned to death, and only three managed to crawl their way out of the human incinerator in time to spare their lifes.

These lonely three survived, and were left scarred for life, both physically and emotionally. The burns that covered their bodies were no match for the horrifying screams of their fellow passengers that forever lurked in their minds.

Jesse Hell, who did research before driving down Pigman Road, felt that the passengers of the 1867 train wreck still lingered in the area. He grew up in West Seneca, a neighboring town, and consequently heard the myths surrounding the pig-loving murderer who was said to live on the road, but he believes that spirits of the railroad were behind his freak train experience.

“I’ve been there before, and I got a slight chill at most, but mostly thought the scariest thing was the huge spiders in the bridge. But today was really scary because there was a story behind it, and a history, not just a stupid story about a guy in a pig mask that kills people,” said Hell. “Trains just can’t go from dead stop to full speed that fast.”

The site in Angola known as Pigman Road is not for the faint of heart. It is here some 50 or 60 years ago that it is said a dangerous killer supposedly lurked in the shadows, keeping his distance from society. Some say he might have been a butcher with sharp cleavers to chop off the bodies of animals, but he allegedly received the nickname Pigman because he routinely placed the heads of pigs on stakes throughout his yard, to keep others away.

Legend has it that one night Pigman was extremely busy, and in order to be left alone he put the heads of three pigs on stakes at the entrance to his house, in between the two one-lane bridges. It was on that night that he received some unexpected visitors. Three young teenage boys decided it would be a fun to go up to the Pigman’s house and bother him, not knowing what lay ahead.

During the course of the night, the Pigman caught these boys and decided once and for all to scare off anyone who ever thought of trespassing. Pigman decapitated each boy one by one, making the others watch and wait so they knew what was to come. After he completed this bloody task, he put the three heads of the boys on stakes, forever cementing his reputation as a killer and a butcher. After this night, the mysterious man was never seen again, and to this day, no one quite knows whatever happened to the one they called Pigman.

Joe, a police dispatcher from the Evans Police Department which oversees activity on Pigman Road, refused to give his last name in connection with this article. He is convinced that supernatural activity exists at the graffiti-filled train’s bridge. Although it is frequented often, with each visitor partaking in personal rituals, the officer declined to elaborate on any specific happenings in the mysterious location.

“People go there all the time, but I can’t tell you what goes on there—it’s a secret,” said Joe. “I’ve lived here for 40 years, and there absolutely is a Pigman,” he added vehemently.

Mike Saad, a junior at UB, had a bone-chilling experience in Angola that has prevented him from returning . One day, the Lancaster native decided to check out the haunted site, having heard about it from friends and neighbors. He went with a lady friend, hoping to impress her with his bravery and calm demeanor. When they reached the bridge with a graffiti painted warning reading “Pigman raped me here,” they got out of the car and started walking the train tracks. They heard squealing noises, like those of a hungry pig, and turned around to find the cause of the sound. The high school students found no explanation, and only heard more squealing, so they scrambled back into the safe haven of their vehicles as soon as possible, and drove home with the windows shut and door locked for what seemed to be the longest half hour of their lives.

Mike Saad learned from his experience trying to learn about the legend of Pigman. “Pigman is more than just a ghost,” said Saad, with a certain tremble in his voice. “Pigman is real.”

http://www.subboard.com/generation/article...08620986308.asp

http://www.paranormalghostsociety.org/Pigmans%20Road.htm

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MongoMagnificent

• Stormcrow

• _Zombie_

• DarkNova@

Definitely sounds like a general urban legend, and I've never heard of it before now. If a man were to put the heads of three young boys on stakes in his front yard, he'd be arrested the following morning and put in a padded cell for the rest of his life. I doubt it ever happened at all.

Right...

So you haven't heard of it and you've never visited the road?

Has anyone ever been there?

Nope, but I did read the book The Pigman (has absolutely nothing to do with any of this). :P

Edited by Ebonykrow

Right...

So you haven't heard of it and you've never visited the road?

Has anyone ever been there?

Never been there, but there is a cop that used to patroll near Kayenta Az whos name is Pigman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigman_Road

Actual History

The Legend of Pigman is exaggerated and mostly fiction. The "Pigman" was a man with a deformed nose, either from birth or a broken nose that wasn't set correctly, and had bad pigmentation of the skin causing it to be very red. The man was a recluse for the most part due to his appearance. There was one murder, by a guy wearing a pig mask, legand has it that a couple in the early 80's were parked under the north bridge of Holland Road when suddenly a man in a pig mask jumped from the bridge with an ax in hand and the horrified teens were brutally murdered, their bodies were found a couple days later on top of the south bridge burried in a shallow grave.

Holland Road was actually the site of what is known as the "Angola Horror," the worst train wreck in Erie County history that claimed the lives of at least fifty people. On December 18th, 1867, a rear axle on a train traveling into Buffalo loosened and caused the train to de-rail. The rear coach tumbled down an embankment and ripped in half, killing one and burning countless others. The car in front of the rear coach tipped over and rolled down the embankment. The commotion loosened the giant stoves used for heating and spread the burning coal over the passengers riding in the car, killing all but three.

So it seems that a small part of the story is true, and a large part is made up, as for Jesse Hell, that name sounds utterly false to me, but thats just me.

Edited by MirrorImage

stop making stuff up. please. you're a good author (if it is in fact you writing all of this) but it has no place here.

stop making stuff up. please. you're a good author (if it is in fact you writing all of this) but it has no place here.

This seems to be kinda a harsh statement.

Being that fact that the post right before you provided a WIKI link.

Posted AGAIN

So, eliminating the possiblity that WalkingDude created the Wiki page, There must be an "Urban Legand" that has been circulated.

If it is a urban legend, this is probably the right place to post it.

I enjoy WalkingDudes posts.

Keep 'em up man.

Unless WalkingDude is Jill Gregorie and Jordan Zyglis, he didn't make it up. If you follow his source links you will find that he copy/pasted his post from these sites.

Unless WalkingDude is Jill Gregorie and Jordan Zyglis, he didn't make it up. If you follow his source links you will find that he copy/pasted his post from these sites.

Thanks for sticking up for me guys!

I didn't make this up, obviously, just follow the links. I study urban legends and pick peoples mind about them. I find these scary ones utterly fascinating.(sp?)

I'm glad some of you enjoy my posts. :)

I really just try and relay my findings as quick as possible.

This pigman story, it really interests me and I just found out about it this morning.

Apparently, they're making a movie on it as well!

Thanks for sticking up for me guys!

I didn't make this up, obviously, just follow the links. I study urban legends and pick peoples mind about them. I find these scary ones utterly fascinating.(sp?)

I'm glad some of you enjoy my posts. :)

I really just try and relay my findings as quick as possible.

This pigman story, it really interests me and I just found out about it this morning.

Apparently, they're making a movie on it as well!

No worries Dude.

If there is BS to be called, I am usually the first.

Not the case here.

And yeah, I saw something about the movie.

The release date was 06-08?? Maybe it got cancelled?

No worries Dude.

If there is BS to be called, I am usually the first.

Not the case here.

And yeah, I saw something about the movie.

The release date was 06-08?? Maybe it got cancelled?

I didn't notice that. :(

I'm always up for a good horror movie!

The good ones always get cancelled!

A movie would be interesting. Seems like a lot of these kinds of movies are getting canceled though. There was one coming out I wanted to see, SinJin Smyth or something like that, I think. Sounded pretty good but it was never released.

look, i'm sorry to make a harsh statement like that and stir you all up. i can't see any links or pictures though due to a blocking program. i was just basing my statement off of a previous post by walking dude. no offense, but this story does seem interesting to me. it reminds me of numerous serial killers like joachim kroll and vlad the impaler, with a little bit of ed gein-like solitudity... if it is in fact true though, it would have been a little bit more widespread don't you think? people get into books for killing two people in a horrific fashion, even if their names are unknown especially in a moderately populated place like arizona...

look, i'm sorry to make a harsh statement like that and stir you all up. i can't see any links or pictures though due to a blocking program. i was just basing my statement off of a previous post by walking dude. no offense, but this story does seem interesting to me. it reminds me of numerous serial killers like joachim kroll and vlad the impaler, with a little bit of ed gein-like solitudity... if it is in fact true though, it would have been a little bit more widespread don't you think? people get into books for killing two people in a horrific fashion, even if their names are unknown especially in a moderately populated place like arizona...

Um. Angola is in New York...

That's where the pigman legend takes place.

Most of the other legends I post are in Arizona though. Thanks for noticing.

I read only half of it. I'll finish reading it later.

Interesting story, WalkingDude. <3

I'm glad you share these stories. :3

I read only half of it. I'll finish reading it later.

Interesting story, WalkingDude. <3

I'm glad you share these stories. :3

I love the support from you guys!

So, we don't have any UM-ers from New York who can check this out?

I love the support from you guys!

So, we don't have any UM-ers from New York who can check this out?

Your welcome.

Glad you love it. X3

If I loved in NY, I totally would. But I don't. :P

Your welcome.

Glad you love it. X3

If I loved in NY, I totally would. But I don't. :P

I watched a video last night on youtube of some girl who were pretty terrified just driving through the place.

There's something laying in the road and the girls speed by it and scream.

It's kind of creepy.

I hope we can get more info on this soon!

Hey, I'm IN NY...have been all my life. I haven't been there myself, but....

I first heard about this legend a few years ago from my then-teenaged bro-in-law, Dave. He and his best friend, Josh, were driving down the road, and suddenly, a pair of headlights appeared at the other end. According to them, the road was only wide enough for one car to drive down at a time, so they didn't quite know what to do - they couldn't turn around, so they started backing up. The other car (the headlights were high, so they figured it was a truck), sped up. Dave got so scared that the truck would hit them, that he pulled off the road into the ditch. The truck blasted past them, and when they turned around to see what the truck looked like, the road was empty.

Right after this happened, he came to my house in Springville, and told me and my hubby (his bro) what happened. He was visibly shaken, but anyone who knows Dave guesses that his next statement will be "Let's go back there and see if it'll happen again." He's just one of those people who HAVE to have an explanation for everything (I call them the "why-kids"). Of course, we talked him out of it (it was near midnight, and we had a bunch of little kids at the time), and he and Josh went back to Dave's house in Gowanda.

I have TONS of stories of weird things that have happened to Matt (hubby) and his family, as well as my own. We seem to be paranormal magnets, of sorts. LOL

Hey, I'm IN NY...have been all my life. I haven't been there myself, but....

Welcome abraod

Enjoy your stay

I have TONS of stories of weird things that have happened to Matt (hubby) and his family, as well as my own. We seem to be paranormal magnets, of sorts. LOL

You have choosen the right place

You said the truck blasted past them so that it means it was going with graet speed that by the time Dave(Sorry if he is elder than me) would get up it must have gone

Possible conclusion

Thanks

B???

Heh...of course it's possible, B??...although, it's apparently (according to Dave) a pretty long, straight-ish road...so either they (the truck) turned off before they (Dave and Josh) turned their heads around to look, or (less likely) it just vanished.

Hey, I'm not sayin' I believe in it...I just know he was pretty freaked. LOL.

is it just me that thought the pigman/butcher guys reaction to some kids bothering him was a little over the top?

i mean cmon

he wants to keep people away so he KILLS AND DECAPITATES THREE PEOPLE?

and then he disappears? so what was the point of keeping people away if he was gonna leave anyway

i just see too many holes in this story to believe it

is it just me that thought the pigman/butcher guys reaction to some kids bothering him was a little over the top?

i mean cmon

he wants to keep people away so he KILLS AND DECAPITATES THREE PEOPLE?

and then he disappears? so what was the point of keeping people away if he was gonna leave anyway

i just see too many holes in this story to believe it

Then you should go check out the road for us then!

I mean, since you don't believe it...what's the risk?

hey dudes hows it going? i actually live in WNY and am headed out there tonight to check this **** out. i'll let you all know what experince me and a couple friends have tonight.