Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Where to go in Savannah, GA.

Amarali2012

Hello everyone! Most of you know that I recently moved back to my hometown. Well I have a whole new team, and the vets are getting bored with the same old places. Most of us do not have access to "mad money" because of tight budgets, and on top of that were are third shift people as well. We are also more into investigating for the experience, as opposed to gathering data for study. I only just became interested in the paranormal world shortly before leaving here for PA. Sadly, I am unfamiliar with the haunts of my own hometown! Do any of you know of any places that are open to the public at night, places that are free to enter, or any places that are free and legal to enter at night? We like woodsy areas, we like hiking and walking, and do not mind getting dirty for some good, clean, scary fun! We are in the Savannah, GA area, but will travel up to 30 miles out of town if the site is worth it. Ft Pulaski is a favorite, but is the one we have seen the most. Any new places would be great! Thank you all!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amarali2012

• Caesar

• veledran

• nolonger

Top Posters In This Topic

isn't there some sort of civil war era fort between Sav. and Richmond Hill area? I forget the name, but it might be worth looking into unless it's one of those "been there done that" places. ( I want to say Ft. Jackson, but not sure that's right)

Is there a place called the Hampton Lillibridge House in that area. I just moved to NC myself from MA. I could tell you 100's of places there but don't know that many in NC.

Good Luck

isn't there some sort of civil war era fort between Sav. and Richmond Hill area? I forget the name, but it might be worth looking into unless it's one of those "been there done that" places. ( I want to say Ft. Jackson, but not sure that's right)

Yes, it Fort McAllister! We are looking into one now :)

My fiancee and I stayed at The Inn at Ellis Square a few weeks ago. We woke up in the middle of the night due to the sound of our shower curtain being pulled back and forth rapidly. We were in a corner room on the sixth floor and it could not have been the shower curtain of the room next to ours as we were only next to one and it was in a completely different direction.

I know from my time working in an archaeological lab with records going back over a hundred years, that they had no qualms with building over cemeteries. It is my understanding from tales that your can't go a city block without coming across some area that is haunted.

Wright Square might be a good place to start. http://southerngent.wordpress.com/2008/10/...t-square-ghost/

Shivers in the Square – Savannah, Georgia’s Wright Square Ghost

2008 October 29

tags: Alice Riley, frightening, ghost story, ghosts, Halloween, haunted, paranormal, People, random, Savannah, scary, spooky, Supernatural, travel, writing

by Jason

SAVANNAH, GEORGIA – I have friends who recently returned from a weekend trip to Savannah for a wedding. They gushed over the food, the city’s antebellum charm, and lamented the fact that they didn’t have more free time to explore.

I had only one question: “Did you go on any ghost tours?”

Savannah has been called the most haunted city in the U.S. and there is reason to believe the accusation. Several Savannah landmarks are on popular lists of haunted places, and visitors and locals can often spin a yarn about some paranormal encounter. Some of the stories are benign; others, truly terrifying. But there’s only one that is heartbreaking, and it’s the one I share with you today.

Located at the corner of Bull Street and Presidents Street is Wright Square. This tree-covered park is a magnet for tourists and people seeking a shaded place to rest for a moment. The trees are tall and stately, and lack the Spanish moss that seems to grow on every other tree in town. At night, the square is often empty, and it doesn’t take one long to notice that very few people cross through. While the trees do make for an ominous atmosphere, there is another reason, a more sinister reason, that few dare to tread the grounds.

The year was 1733, and a young indentured servant named Alice Riley was sent to work for William Wise. The nature of her service is unknown, but some details have persisted, such as the fact that Mr. Wise forced Alice and her husband, Robert White, to bathe him daily. Cruel and mean, Wise mistreated and raped the young woman, abusing her in ways that many believe led to her and her husband’s desperate plan.

In March of 1734 William Wise made his way to his daily bath. His dutiful servants stripped him of his clothes and began bathing their master. Without warning, the forced Wise’s head into a bucket of water, holding him there until the thrashing and kicking subsided and the man was indeed dead. Husband and wife left the home where they had worked, seeking freedom or sanctuary – whichever came first. They found neither.

Caught by an angry search party on the Isle of Hope, Riley and White were returned to Savannah.

The couple were sentenced to death for the murder of their master, and Robert was publicly hanged in the square first. Alice watched as her beloved died. When it came time to slip the noose around her neck, she proclaimed her innocence and pleaded for her life – and for the life of her unborn child. A doctor was called, and examination revealed that Alice was indeed pregnant…and the father was William Wise. Her sentence was ordered to be stayed until the birth of her child. Eight grueling months later, on in January of 1735, Alice Riley was hanged in full view of the townsfolk of Savannah. As added indignity, her body was left swaying on the gallows for over three days. A mere month-and-a-half after Alice had been exectuted, her infant child died as well.

The long years since that horrible day have seen many people pass through the forrested paths of Wright Square. Many a traveler has reported a sensation of someone’s presence, even though they had been alone. Others have reported a young woman, clothed in rags, running through the square screaming for her baby while frantically searching for the missing child. Some have approached the young woman, and she has shared her despair over her missing infant, then disappeared. Reportedly, mothers of small children and expectant women are more prone to an encounter with the spirit, or at the very least are more likely to see the apparition as it mournfully makes its way through the square.

Another reminder of Alice Riley is found, not by the presence of her spirit, but by the absence of the ubiquitous Spanish Moss. Legend holds that the moss will not grow near ground where innocent blood was spilled. To this day, there is no Spanish Moss to be found in the square – only the spirit of an inconsolable mother searching for her child, her cries echoing through the trees that proclaim her innocence.

from → Southern Traditions, Supernatural, Writing - Short Story, travel

Edited by veledran

My fiancee and I stayed at The Inn at Ellis Square a few weeks ago. We woke up in the middle of the night due to the sound of our shower curtain being pulled back and forth rapidly. We were in a corner room on the sixth floor and it could not have been the shower curtain of the room next to ours as we were only next to one and it was in a completely different direction.

I know from my time working in an archaeological lab with records going back over a hundred years, that they had no qualms with building over cemeteries. It is my understanding from tales that your can't go a city block without coming across some area that is haunted.

Wright Square might be a good place to start. http://southerngent.wordpress.com/2008/10/...t-square-ghost/

Thanks Veledran! I have been surfing all night for good leads but sadly have found next to none! I think we are going to Beech Island in SC on Sunday. I'm actually interested in doing some real investigating there! If anyone is interested and would like to get together and join my group for this let me know! None of us have ever done a serious investigation yet. We mostly just like to go into an active area and experience the awe and glory of the paranormal world naturally. ^_^

Is there a place called the Hampton Lillibridge House in that area. I just moved to NC myself from MA. I could tell you 100's of places there but don't know that many in NC.

Good Luck

There are a few in SC I want to visit, but we are limited by our funds and means of transportation. I was born and raised in Savannah, but I was not interested in ghost hunting until after I moved to PA.