Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dancing Plague of 1518

dannybr0ot4l

I don't know if this has been posted before but to sum it up in 1518, nearly 400 people danced themselves to death.

"- In July of 1518, a woman referred to as Frau Troffea stepped into a narrow street in Strasbourg, France and began a fervent dancing vigil that lasted between four and six days. By the end of the week, 34 others had joined her and, within a month, the crowd of dancing, hopping and leaping individuals had swelled to 400."

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/08/01/d...th-mystery.html

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dannybr0ot4l

• Godsnmbr1

• Antinomy

• Blink4567

It's so funny that it happened in France.

xD

I have a whole site bookmarked of weird and horror wiki pages, everything from unsolved murders to the dancing plague.

It's good stuff :)

Link please.

Rave?

Hahahaha, Watching people in that day in age spinning fire would be awsome! I bet it was a very powerful empath, or the guy from Silver thongs thread!

Silver Thong starts party, I love this vid LOL

Edited by Jessem

Thanks for the link, should keep me busy for awhile.

Thanks for the link, should keep me busy for awhile.

There's definitely a lot of interesting stuff on it.

This doesn't have anything to do with St. Vitus' Dance does it? This apparently uncontrolled, jerky dancing behavior has sometimes been attributed (at least partially) to ergot poisoning.

There's an interesting article in Wikipedia under "Dancing mania" that discusses this type of "plague". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_mania

This doesn't have anything to do with St. Vitus' Dance does it? This apparently uncontrolled, jerky dancing behavior has sometimes been attributed (at least partially) to ergot poisoning.

There's an interesting article in Wikipedia under "Dancing mania" that discusses this type of "plague". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_mania

Well in my opinion, in a case as unusual as this nothing can be rules out but I doubt it would be St. Vitus' Dance because it was hundreds of people. On the wiki it has a couple of possible explanations, and to me the most believable is

Mass psychogenic illness

Historian John Waller thinks that the dancing epidemic was caused by mass psychogenic illness (MPI), a manifestation of mass hysteria that is often preceded by extreme levels of psychological distress. Waller states that famine had been prevalent in the region for some time, caused by very cold winters, very hot summers, crop frosts, and violent hailstorms.[1] Mass deaths followed from malnutrition, and those who survived were forced to kill their farm animals, take out loans, and perhaps even beg in the streets. In addition to food shortages, diseases such as smallpox, syphilis, leprosy, and "the English sweat" (a new disease) afflicted the populace. This series of events might have triggered the MPI.

---

On another note Chorea (St. Vitus' Dance) is very interesting and very disturbing sounding. I wonder if this may have been the cause of some "possessions" throughout time.

Definitely weird.

Thanks for the link danny--seriously cool.

Rave, indeed. :D

I'm surprised that nobody's ever (yet) thought to describe the Dance Marathons of the Great Depression as the "Dancing Mania of 1932."