Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Caesar

The Cursed Rocks of Hawaii

8 posts in this topic

"Hawaii is one of the top vacation spots in the world, but tourists need to be careful with the souvenirs they want to bring home.

According to superstition, those who take lava rocks home with them meet with bad luck and horrible misfortune. There have been a large number of reports over the years of tourists picking up rocks near the Hawaiian volcanoes and taking them home, only to be “cursed” by Pele afterwards.

So who is Pele? She is the mythological volcano goddess, and the volcanoes in Hawaii are said to be her domain. She apparently isn’t too happy with tourists “stealing” her rocks as she sends a curse to follow all of them home. It’s believed that each rock in the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park has its own energy and that when they’re all together, the volcanoes are in “harmony”, just as the goddess made them."

Source Cursed Rocks of Hawaii

Do you think that there is some kind of curse

Im sure out of every 10 people who go to Hawaii about 5 take a lava rock home. Lets say 1000 people go. 300 take home a rock. Now no one has good luck. Just a series of events. So lets say something considerably bad happens to 50 people. Now maybe 10 people look and say this happened after I got this rock and than blame that. Its just highly probable something bad will happen to someone who takes it. than all the people who blame it on the rock pile up after a year. Than you have a group of people who blame the rock for their misfortunes. If you look at the other side there may be 1000's who also took a rock and nothing bad happens to them. So I doubt it is bad luck and P.S. I pulled them statistics out of my...... nvm, because sadly there is no Hawiian Tourist Rock Counting Center or whatever for me to check.

Posted (edited)

"Hawaii is one of the top vacation spots in the world, but tourists need to be careful with the souvenirs they want to bring home.

According to superstition, those who take lava rocks home with them meet with bad luck and horrible misfortune. There have been a large number of reports over the years of tourists picking up rocks near the Hawaiian volcanoes and taking them home, only to be “cursed” by Pele afterwards.

So who is Pele? She is the mythological volcano goddess, and the volcanoes in Hawaii are said to be her domain. She apparently isn’t too happy with tourists “stealing” her rocks as she sends a curse to follow all of them home. It’s believed that each rock in the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park has its own energy and that when they’re all together, the volcanoes are in “harmony”, just as the goddess made them."

People go to Hawaii for a short time for a vacation.

If some of those people take a rock home, then there is a rather large chance that - at some point in the decades following - they may have a run of bad luck.

That is not proof of a curse - that is simply playing the odds... after all, nobody has good luck 100% of the time (Unless their name is Warren Buffet or Wil smith... :-) ).

Edited by Wookietim

Heres a link you guys may enjoy

Newest Stories of why people send their lava rocks back to Hawaii

Returned Lava Rock to Hawaii!

What's funny is what the tourist bureau does with the rocks.

They toss them out back. Literally. They got a nice little rock garden going.

I had a park ranger at Mauna Loa tell me that each year they receive boxes from people asking the rangers to return the rocks to the exact place where the took it. Who knows?

I wouldn't doubt that in Hawaii, the tourist organizations and locals make it a point to spread/publicize this story, both to mess with tourists because it's fun (I'm from Florida and I know how fun that can be), and to preserve the natural landscape.

The bad luck is just perceived as such because no one ever talks about the people who have taken lava rocks and had nothing happen to them, and chances are, there are far more of those than there are people who have such horrible things happen that they send the rocks back.

I would curse people's souvenir rocks, too, if my homeland had been taken from me by another country. Haha. How interesting, although misfortune befalls the best of us for seemingly no apparent reason. Thanks for the warning, I will not be pickin up volcano rocks anytime soon :)