Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Marfa Lights

Caesar

"The Ghost lights of Marfa are still just as strange and mysterious as they were when they were first seen 126 years ago by the early settlers and the cowboys who drove their cattle herds into the Marfa area in 1883.

When Robert Ellison came to Marfa in 1883 to drop off some of his cattle before driving more of the herd further on west, he never expected anything out of the ordinary was going to happen. On his second night camping just outside of Paisano Pass, he saw some odd looking lights off in the distance. Ellison 's first thought was that these lights could be the signal fires from a roving band of Apache warriors, and decided to investigate. Ellison saddled up and rode all over the countryside looking for the source of the mysterious lights. He found no Apaches, no fires, and no explanation for the lights. Many of the other settlers in the area told him that they had also seen the lights on many occasions and they too had never been able to identify their source."

Source and full article

This seems like a great mystery to see for yourself. I have always thought they were some kind of gas but I'm not to sure on this.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Caesar

• Matt121

• Dr. D

• Izzymovin

"The Ghost lights of Marfa are still just as strange and mysterious as they were when they were first seen 126 years ago by the early settlers and the cowboys who drove their cattle herds into the Marfa area in 1883.

When Robert Ellison came to Marfa in 1883 to drop off some of his cattle before driving more of the herd further on west, he never expected anything out of the ordinary was going to happen. On his second night camping just outside of Paisano Pass, he saw some odd looking lights off in the distance. Ellison 's first thought was that these lights could be the signal fires from a roving band of Apache warriors, and decided to investigate. Ellison saddled up and rode all over the countryside looking for the source of the mysterious lights. He found no Apaches, no fires, and no explanation for the lights. Many of the other settlers in the area told him that they had also seen the lights on many occasions and they too had never been able to identify their source."

Source and full article

This seems like a great mystery to see for yourself. I have always thought they were some kind of gas but I'm not to sure on this.

Passed there many times at night on my way to Ojinaga, Chihuahua. Never saw anything except the lights of cars coming down from the distant mountains and each time people would point and gasp and say, "Look at that!"

• 1 year later...

<a href="http://www.profilingtheunexplained.com/mysterious_happenings/marfa_lights.html" target="_blank">Source and full article</a>

I had seen the Marfa Lights twice before one visit to the spot between the tracks and Hwy 90(before the nice new roadside park, built by the Marfa Boyscouts). My parents and I were in our motorhome and it was about 10p in middle January, 1992 or so.

We started seeing colored lights from about ten miles away (going west from Alpine). Then when arriving at the spot where they were directly overhead we parked north of 90 next to the rail. The whole sky would light up different colors at different intervals and then during those times single large beams (as in floodlights) would go across the sky from all directions. We stood outside (it was clear) for about two hours. Then mom went inside and said later, she had seen a whole different show from inside the coach.

I believe it was a version of the Northern Lights that strayed south. I've returned several times since and have only seen the small white lights from the south. Interesting but nothing like what we saw that night! Anyone wanting further memories write izzymovin@yahoo.com

• 1 month later...