Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Drafting during war time

saucy

This debate has been set up by Saucy: Two members have been chosen to debate the following subject: Is it ethical to draft during war time. The two people chosen to debate this topic is Faulkner and Scar. Faulkner will be on the side of the United States government, stating that it's purely ethical to draft during wartime and that its not only ethical, it's the governments right. Scar will be on the opposite side of the spectrum stating with full confidence that the government has no right to send people who are uncapable and unready, ordinary citizens who have no ambitions towards the military into combat during war time. You must first post an introduction, followed by four body posts and a rebuttal to wrap up your arguments. Good luck and have fun!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scar

• Saru

• Faulkner

• saucy

Top Posters In This Topic

Opening Statement -

For all of human history, as long as there have been differing opinions concerning political, territorial, religious and philosophical ideologies, there has been war. It would almost seem as if conflict is an unavoidable tenent of the nature of life itself and will remain so as long as there is a food chain that sustains life.

Is it unreasonable, in lieu of this, that Goverments' which provide their citizens a national framework of laws, of services, of personal liberties, and of a common umbrella of goals, to ask it's citizens the capability to call upon them for purposes of defending that Goverment, when it's national security is threatened and at risk should superior forces not be mustered to combat a national threat?

It is not only the Goverment's ethical right to ask those who recieve benefits from it, to protect it in times of need, it is also those beneficiaries (citizens) moral obligation to collectively serve when called upon, regardless of personal differences they might harbor against their goverment.

Opening Statement

Conscription is fundamentally "a system based on using the enforced labour of other people" which within the dictionary is defined as slavery. Freedom is what we are believed to fight for, yet to fight for this we take away the freedom to choose. We are not talking about a WAR that threatens to wipe out or way of life, only to police the world to protect our way of life from coming into harms way.

We cannot champion to the rest of the world the benefits of choice and freedom, if we then turn and abandon these teachings, it makes a mockery of what we believe in, what we stand for. If it's fighting an aggressor to preserve our freedom, then the cause is just and will attract volunteers. Serving when the cause is obscure or unjust amounts to blind nationalism.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to be clear , Going by the opening statement I am Waiting for Faulkener's Opener rolleyes.gif

Anyhoow, His last post was his opener so i guess he's Bunked. If you wish I will do an Opener/Conclusion in order to win ,But unless Im Pm'd from my Humble opponent It will be of the Poor Variety(I reserve the right to edit if he comes back). As Much As I like to Debate Against the Like's of UA I will not waste my time for timewasters

Finite

user posted image

This debate seems to have ended before it really begun, Scar wins by default.