Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Children traumatised by 'War of Worlds'

Still Waters

The 370 children at Southway Junior School, in Burgess Hill, west Sussex, saw a 'spaceship' crash near their school and then aliens grabbed a member of staff as part of the performance.

The 'alien invasion' show, which was supported by Sussex Police, took place without parents being informed, leaving some furious that they had to comfort their terrified children.

linked-imageRead more...

That would have been so damn freakin awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would have loved to have had this happen to me as a kid, even if I pooped my pants it still would have been awesome :lol:

Kids these days are raised in little bubbles, just imagine how scared the kids would be if they were told there xbox's were being taken away, Pandemonium I tell ya !

It's probably a good thing I don't have kids as I would have just laughed my asss off and told them to buck up and go outside.

• Like 4

*sigh* My primary school never did anything as awesome as that. That would've been great!

I really think some parents should ease up. It was only a performance, so the kids were a little freaked out, it won't do them any harm! (she says, and then gets charged for their therapy in years to come... :rolleyes: )

Kids these days are raised in little bubbles, just imagine how scared the kids would be if they were told there xbox's were being taken away, Pandemonium I tell ya !

It's probably a good thing I don't have kids as I would have just laughed my asss off and told them to buck up and go outside.

:lol:Read this. It's freakin' ridiculous!

i know :w00t:

*sigh* My primary school never did anything as awesome as that. That would've been great!

I really think some parents should ease up. It was only a performance, so the kids were a little freaked out, it won't do them any harm! (she says, and then gets charged for their therapy in years to come... :rolleyes: )

Oh my, 14 years old to go out and play with out adults. What is this going to do to these kids when they grow up. I think I was walking to the store by myself at 5 or 6 and when we moved to B.C. i was wandering the woods and mountains when I was ten with the bears and cougars and loved it. Times have changed and it's sad as most of the horror stories we hear are sensationalized and people freak. Yes kids get abducted but adults can be to or hit by a car. I see this over protective attidude as more dangerous really. Thats sad Libby now go out side and play :P

Oh my, 14 years old to go out and play with out adults. What is this going to do to these kids when they grow up. I think I was walking to the store by myself at 5 or 6 and when we moved to B.C. i was wandering the woods and mountains when I was ten with the bears and cougars and loved it. Times have changed and it's sad as most of the horror stories we hear are sensationalized and people freak. Yes kids get abducted but adults can be to or hit by a car. I see this over protective attidude as more dangerous really. Thats sad Libby now go out side and play :P

Exactly, I was allowed out on my own from about 6, and OMG I'm still here! There was a program about 'cotton wool kids' on a while back, and one of the things which stood out to me was this conversation between a girl and her mother as they drove past a supermarket.

Mother: (pointing to a man on the pavement) Who's that?

Little girl: A stranger.

Mother: And what do you do when you see a stranger?

Little girl: You don't talk to them.

Mother: And why not?

Little girl: Because they'll take me away like they took Maddie away. (referring to Madeleine McCann)

:o So much for benefit of the doubt!

And I can't go out and play, because I don't want to. I dare you to argue with me :P

If only my school had been so creative!

Exactly, I was allowed out on my own from about 6, and OMG I'm still here! There was a program about 'cotton wool kids' on a while back, and one of the things which stood out to me was this conversation between a girl and her mother as they drove past a supermarket.

Mother: (pointing to a man on the pavement) Who's that?

Little girl: A stranger.

Mother: And what do you do when you see a stranger?

Little girl: You don't talk to them.

Mother: And why not?

Little girl: Because they'll take me away like they took Maddie away. (referring to Madeleine McCann)

:o So much for benefit of the doubt!

And I can't go out and play, because I don't want to. I dare you to argue with me :P

That is it cases like Madaleaine freak so many people out. I know it's better to always be catious and aware of ones surroundings but at what cost. Kids are being programed to be anti-social, fat , brain dead vegitables. I can't imagine having spent my youth in front of the boob tube. I do that now LOL not when I was younger and had a wild imagination. Running around the nieghborhood now dressed as a ninja with a plastic sword and nunchucks might get me in trouble LOL oh and ya I use to hunt aliens as a kid to and did we ever have some good battles LOL

• Like 1

Actually, it could be a good idea as it may put some of the bullies in their place if the bullied kids see how cowardly their tormentors are. Stupid bullies, grrr. I was picked on as a kid, grew up, got stronger and much better looking. lol, ugly duckling isn't fun. :no:

Hmm, well, I would have been traumatised too. Each kid is different - I, for example, was terribly afraid of anything to do with aliens at the age of seven. I wouldn't even let myself to think about them, otherwise I would freak out. I used to jerk every time I saw a flying bird, thinking it's an UFO. So... if I witnessed something like that at the time... oh my.

Then of course, you can't know all phobias of every kid in your school.

Funny how War of the Worlds seem to have something to it, eh? :P Maybe there are something triggering panic hidden in a text itself? :D

I would have loved to have had this happen to me as a kid, even if I pooped my pants it still would have been awesome :lol:

kids are raised in bubbles, your so right about that...thats why i make it my business to toughen up my nephews, and the kids in the daycare i work at....traumatised?...put on a scary movie then pretend the monster is in the house later, they'd react the same way, these kids will be alright

Is there any actual proof? and how come this a big news thing? was it aleast local news there

(i understand if it wasnt, you know the MIB problay covered it up)

how realistic could this have seemed to scare a student? that school must have some damn good special effects!

and it's not like the War of the Worlds broadcast, those poor people had nothing but radio to inform them.

no blackberries, no tvs, no internet, ---nothing!

now if they had staged a terrorist attack or a school invasion--that would be irresponsible.

but aliens--how real could that costume have looked?

i smell an opportunist lining up for litigation....

Yea, keep telling me that we're ready for contact and there will be no chaos. While the evidence always says otherwise. Many of you see this as a big joke but the fact of the matter is, it's serious stuff.

Do you even know what the word "traumatized" means? From my experience those that scoff are usually the ones p***ing their pants when something actually happens.

Edited by jbondo

I would have loved that when I was a kid. I think I had read War of the Words when I was 9. I think I would be more traumatized by it now. All those stories about what aliens do when the abduct humans. If I saw an craft come down I would hobble away as fast as I could, no aliens are going to probe me. :o

Seems an odd stunt to pull 7 years old is a bit young.

Perfect age for this imo of course. If children grow up with out having been scared a few times and learning how to handle or deal with it they most likely will grow up to be over reactionary meaning they will strike out in fear as they won't be able to cope and will instintantly be reactionary. This bubble type up bringing will prove to be a generation of scared weak people that will lash out befor understanding what there lashing out about. Not a good thing to be doing. The government is breeding dependence and forcing us to do it.

Not really that ridiculous when you think about it, parents worry like hell about their kids, the media doesn't help reporting young children dying in different and sometimes common ways every day, they want whats best for them, they know not, what they do.

As for the stage performance, I say it would have rocked.. The media spin doctored it as usual, I'll bet a majority loved it.

If I was one of those kids I would be having a damn good time!! Hahaha

If they would have done that to me when I was 7 yrs old....I would think it to be awesome!!! But then again...that's just me!! :lol:

wow kids are crybabies these days

parents seriously need to step back from their kids and stop coddling them

I can understand way little kids were scared, it's a pretty intense book. Poor little things, but it's still kinda funny.

Parents let their kids watch "Scare Tactics" on T.V. and think nothing of it. But a little some thing at school has them all up in arms.

Some people should not be allowed to reproduce!

Children 'traumatized' - I sense compo claims pending... Like these kids haven't seen Dr Who and other sci-fi on TV?