Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wagers For 2012

James K Polk

I have a proposal. Should there be a major disaster (ie really worldchanging not standard earthquakes, wars, etc.) in the year 2012 I will donate to anyone who wagers any amount of money they wager. If no such event happens they will pay me and other skeptics the money they wagered. So what do you think?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SilverCougar

• jesspy

• not.here

• marsapien

But I really doubt something that cataclysmic will happen. Though it occurs to me.. It might really not be that desasterous if we didn't have these huge cities with big buildings that falls/crushes/rolls over people.

Though jumbo jet surfing sounds fun...

Which is why I like the trailer that I posted. XD It's more fitting.

No where did the Mayan's mention anything about world cataclysm for 2012. If anything (if you want to believe their prophecy) this next "sun", the "6th sun," will be the last one. hence, the end of the 6th sun will be the "end of the world." Dec 21 2012 is the beginning of the 6th sun.

This is bound to become very common knowledge after the world doesn't end in 2012. ;)

What I find infinitely more interesting is Terence McKenna's "Timewave Zero," and how it relates to Dec 21 2012.

I'll try to give the briefest of possible explanations concerning his idea's about the "doubling of information":

Human Knowledge (or information) doubled from the time of Christ to Galileo's time. 1500 years.

It doubled again by the time of the American & French Revolutions. 250 years.

It doubled again by the time of the Industrial Revolution, etc etc, and keeps doubling faster and faster.

McKenna thought that information will keep doubling faster and faster, every year, month, second, nanosecond, until it doubles into infinity at around the end of 2012, according to his calculations.

Anyone versed in computers knows about this doubling of the processing power of microchips.

Edited by W Kein

The Mayans never said the world would end in 2012 but rather it was the end of one age and the birth of another.

I have stated this before in other threads but the religion was based on the Law of attraction...If the majority of people are in the frame of mind that a tragedy will occur in 2012 then we will attract that, but if the majority of people believe that it will be the birth of a new erra that will undergo wonderfull changes then we will attract that.

There belief system revolved around the thought vibrations being sent out, will attract those vibrations back to you, ie think postive and things will be positive for our mind creates matter.

Now on a Scientific level NASA predicts great solar storms for this time period worse then any prior solar storm this may be as minor as people wittnessing Aurora's in places they shouldn't be or as major as disabling power, but nothing apocolyptic.

As for wagers Iwould wager the world will end as we know it (don't mistake that to be apocolyptic but rather a change in peoples world view) and I wager the world will not end.

So relax and think positive.

This is the dawn of the age of aquarious... age of aquarious...

Edited by SilverCougar

I have a proposal. Should there be a major disaster (ie really worldchanging not standard earthquakes, wars, etc.) in the year 2012 I will donate to anyone who wagers any amount of money they wager. If no such event happens they will pay me and other skeptics the money they wagered. So what do you think?

Nothing unusually will happen on 2012...but anything and everything will be attributed to the 'prophecies' so people can cover their own BS. For this reason you can't really make a good wager(however everybody knows you wouldn't make do anyways).

marsapien, I don't see how what people think about something has much effect on things. Before Galileo, most people firmly believed the sun revolved around the Earth. Do you think that had any effect on the fact that the Earth revolves around the sun? Human wishes and prayers have little effect on heavenly bodies, earthquakes, volcanos, etc.

KennyB

marsapien, I don't see how what people think about something has much effect on things. Before Galileo, most people firmly believed the sun revolved around the Earth. Do you think that had any effect on the fact that the Earth revolves around the sun? Human wishes and prayers have little effect on heavenly bodies, earthquakes, volcanos, etc.

KennyB

If you read my post a bit more carefully you would see that I agree with you on that one...what I am actually stating in my post is the effect on ideals and world views that postive thinking has.

but this does not change the fact that Science predicts solar storms.

Re-read my posting if you have any issues and you will actually see what I am getting at.

Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough but I was assuming that people would naturally understand what I was presenting, is facts only.

Marsapian. :)

I nearly wet myself from laughing so hard Oh please i wish they would let that be shown in cinemas as the trailer

I nearly wet myself from laughing so hard Oh please i wish they would let that be shown in cinemas as the trailer

Yea this was a good one!

Yeah I know.. if more disaster films had trailers like that, they'ed make millions more at the boxoffice.

My plan is to go find all the people with good jobs who think the world is going to end, and then take their nice paying jobs ^^ hehe, I'm an oppertunist!

I think if anything did happen, what might happen is that most of the world will be without electricity for an extended period of time.

As you can imagine, this will result in total chaos.

P.S.

I wager $1.50

Edited by Civilization

okay this is how I would do it based on...Traditional odds are usually expressed as a ratio, such as 4-1, which means that for every dollar you bet on the underdog, you will get $4 in return if your side wins. linky to odds thing

2:1 nothing happens

4:1 There is a major solar flare knocks out entire computer networks planes fall from the sky etc. we recover at the loss of a few hundred thousand light globes and the countless amount of hours spent by users of UM on the internet and telling everyone "I told you so"

8:1 World war three starts (china vs America)

15:1 World war three ends in a nuclear disaster

20:1 Hadron Collider destroys planet

25:1 Any huge enough volcano or super volcano eg Krakatoa, Yellowstone etc blows brings in new ice age

30:1 Aliens show up

30:1 Jesus shows up

30:1 Elvis shows up

30:1 Quetzalcoatl shows up

30:1 Michael Jackson is alive and blck

45:1 Human population destroyed by small pox unleashed by terroists

50:1 Asteroid/comet hits us destroys planet

75:1 AIDS is airborne in 2010 HIV kills last human 2012

100:1 Gamma ray burst

150:1 Black hole sucks us up

250:1 Sun explodes

500:1 Palin elected president destroys world

1000:1 Universe destroys itself

2000: hollywood comes up with a brand spanking new idea for a movie..... hollywood collapes into black hole

10000:1 Tom cruise elected president destroys world

200000:1 Paris hilton elected president destroys world

200000000:1 Jesspy elected president destroys world

okay this is how I would do it based on...Traditional odds are usually expressed as a ratio, such as 4-1, which means that for every dollar you bet on the underdog, you will get $4 in return if your side wins. linky to odds thing

4:1 There is a major solar flare knocks out entire computer networks planes fall from the sky etc. we recover at the loss of a few hundred thousand light globes and the countless amount of hours spent by users of UM on the internet and telling everyone "I told you so"

25:1 Any huge enough volcano or super volcano eg Krakatoa, Yellowstone etc blows brings in new ice age

2000: hollywood comes up with a brand spanking new idea for a movie..... hollywood collapes into black hole

You had me cracking up while reading this!! hahaha

That was fun reading it

Thankyou for the interesting post

thanks

B???

Lmao!

Armageddon is going to be a BLAST!

God, I can't wait. :tu:

Jesspy, that was hilarious. My office collegues looked at me laughing out loudly, but soddit, it was well worth it.

I'm all for Michael Jackson showing up as a dead zombie to celebrate 20 year anniversary of Thriller.

Now on a Scientific level NASA predicts great solar storms for this time period worse then any prior solar storm this may be as minor as people wittnessing Aurora's in places they shouldn't be or as major as disabling power, but nothing apocolyptic.

Cool! Finaly someone that found the same thing as me. Yes people, the only thing that will happen in Dec. 21, 2012* is the best Aurora's show in decade! Enjoy!

Oh! and just in case... Jesspy, I'm betting on you, come on, big big, BIG Money! ;)

*NASA reference / Solar maximum

From Wikipedia;

Solar maximum or solar max is the period of greatest solar activity in the solar cycle of the sun. During solar maximum, sunspots appear.

Solar maximum is contrasted with solar minimum. Solar maximum is the period when the sun's magnetic field lines are the most distorted due to the magnetic field on the solar equator rotating at a slightly faster pace than at the solar poles. The sun takes about 11 years to go from one solar maximum to another and 22 years to complete a full cycle (where the magnetic charge on the poles is the same).

*Historic maxima

The last solar maximum was in 2001, and the next one has been predicted in 2010-2012. On March 10, 2006 NASA researchers announced that the next cycle would be the strongest since the historic maximum in 1958 in which the northern lights could be seen as far south as Rome, approximately 42° north of the equator. [1] This projection was based on research done by Mausumi Dikpati of the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR), and David Hathaway of the National Space Science & Technology Center (NSSTC).[2]

Edited by Darkcore

Ever sinse I was a little girl I thought there would be a battle between light and darkness during 2012.

I've been waiting for common sense to kick into me...

I'm all for Michael Jackson showing up as a dead zombie to celebrate 20 year anniversary of Thriller.

Oh, I agree.