Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Infant Killed in Horrific Slaying

HollyDolly

I just heard this on KMOL News here last night and again this morning.

San Antonio Express News,July 27:

Infant killed in Horrific Slaying: Police say mom also stabbed self,confessed.

By Eva Ruth Moravec and Michelle Mondo,emoravecc@express-news.net

In what police describe as one of the most gruesome crimes against a child in recent memory, an infant boy was stabbed,decapitated and mitilated early Sunday. His 33 year old mother claimed responsibility ,police said.

Otty Sanchez told police that she was "hearing voices and the devil made her kill Scott Wesley Buchholtz Sanchez,to whom she gave birth on June 30,San Antonio police spokesman Joe Rios said. Sanchez used a steak knife to repeatedly stab the nearly 4 week old baby,then decapitate and mutilate him,Rios said. A police source said the baby was skinned and gutted.Sanchez then used the knife to stab herself in the chest and abdomen,police said.

Sanchez was detained and taken to University Hospital,where she remained in stable condition Sunday night.She was charged by proxy late Sunday with capital murder, which is punishable by the death penalty.

Bond was set at 1 million dollars.

The brutal crime unfolded in a single story home on the 300 block of Wayside Drive where police where called just before 5 a.m.

Sanchez lives in the North side home with her sister and the sister's two children and Sanchez's mother stays in a small seperate structure behind the house.Sanchez's mother was awakend at 4:30a.m. by her daughter,who see saw sitting with the baby and he was decapitated police said.Sanchez's mother took the baby,placed it on a bed and called police according to police, when they arrived,Sanchez was sitting on a couch yelling I killed my baby,I want to Die the report said.

An officer found the child's body lying in blood on a bed next to the knife, believed to have been used in the killing, and two swords, which were not used in the death. Authorities were seen carrying two bags out of the home and officials at the scene confimed they contained the baby's remains.

The baby was missing body parts, and police were investigating claims the mother made to them about ingesting those parts,sources said. Neighbors are surprised, and though at times she seemed odd, she seemed sweet, never aggressive.

Police say she didnot have a criminal history related to mental illness but are investigating that further,and the district attorney's officer will handle how Sanchez's mental state affected her actions.

The children of Sanchez's children who lives with her were not harmed.Initial information shows that the baby was Sanchez's only child.The baby's father who did not live with Sanchez was notified. A relative of the father said the family did not want to comment.

The whole thing puzzles me.Why with other people in the house, did no one hear the baby screaming when being stabbed????

That's like the Murder at Keddie Resort up in Northern California.A family was massacared in a cabin at the resort, except for some children sleeping in a back bedroom. Somehow they slept through all the screaming ,crying shouting and whatever noises where going on at the time of the murders. Other people staying in cabins next to this one claimed to have heard nothing.Does Satan have his minions kill in a vacum or errect a wall of silence so the crimes can be committed, without the interference from others who might be able to stop the crime, I wonder about that sometime.

You can Google Keddie Resort murders to learn more on them.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• FairyJosie25

• Sherapy

• DirgeKing

HOLY CRAP............OMG thats so..........sick and yet so very sad...defencless lil infant...

Great another religious nut...claiming the devil made her do it...... :angry2:

Wow...

The child could have been sleeping when she began stabbing it, hopefully it never woke up and didnt have to experience that full on...I pray for that little baby..

The mother, who knows, psychotic break? You just never know what is TRUELY going on in a persons head, people show you what they want to. To ingest her baby..holy ****e..now that is some sick ****e..

That is truely the most messed up thing I have heard about in a very long time.

Another Human Quality Moment, (Not) this thread topics right up there with the Mother that Cook her Baby in the Microwave oven thread, Jesus, the human Beings ability to attach its couscous never ceases to amaze me, People Murdering their own Babes and People Putting Guns to their Heads and the other Monstrous Acts of the Human beings, no wait, don’t Dogs and Kats eat their own Young when they are born deformed and mentally off.

Edited by Enigmatic Ghost

Great another religious nut...claiming the devil made her do it......

Sorry, I don't want to hijack this thread, but I needed to respond to this.

She has some major mental issues, and all "religion" did was give a name to the voices in her head (the Devil). If she wasn't religious, she'd be blaming the aliens or Bob Barker. I think it's unfair to lump religion in with this unbelievably sick and depraved act caused by a mental unstability (understatement of the year). We should see it for what it is, and not turn it into an unfounded witch-hunt.

Besides, at least she got it right claiming the Devil told her to do it, rather than God. :rolleyes:

*Nothing against you personally, Beckys_Mom.

She has some major mental issues, and all "religion" did was give a name to the voices in her head (the Devil). If she wasn't religious, she'd be blaming the aliens or Bob Barker. I think it's unfair to lump religion in with this unbelievably sick and depraved act caused by a mental unstability (understatement of the year). We should see it for what it is, and not turn it into an unfounded witch-hunt.

Besides, at least she got it right claiming the Devil told her to do it, rather than God. :rolleyes:

Clearly she is a head case however I don't think Bob Barker nor aliens have quit the influence as religion does. Religion can make people do some pretty wacked things. Very sad story to say the least.

It looks like she had a complete mental breakdown, child birth can affect some women in a very strange way, poor woman, poor child.

Clearly she is a head case however I don't think Bob Barker nor aliens have quit the influence as religion does. Religion can make people do some pretty wacked things. Very sad story to say the least.

My point is that it was a mental illness that caused her to do this. Religion just gave her a name for the voices she was hearing. It wouldn't have been the influence of Bob Barker or aliens that brought her to this point, it was the psychological illness that influenced her and those would just be names to give to the voices.

If I were hearing voices that told me to do something horrible, and I was a big Price is Right fan, it would be easy for me in my mental state to say that Bob Barker is the one telling me to do said horrible thing. It wouldn't really mean that watching Price is Right influenced me to commit the act. It would be the schizophrenia that influenced me.

Same in her case. It wasn't religion (it doesn't say to what degree she was religious in the article) that influenced her, it was her mental illness.

"The devil" was just a name given to the voices.

I readily agree that people have committed unspeakable acts in the name of religion. But, that isn't the same as religion making them do them. The cause of the thing, and where the blame is thrown is often very far apart from each other.

It sickens me to read what she did to the baby. I have 2 daughters and 1 son on the way, and I couldn't imagine the state of mind one must be in to even hit a child, let alone this atrocity.

It looks like she had a complete mental breakdown, child birth can affect some women in a very strange way, poor woman, poor child.

Oh I agree with you,what mother would do this to her baby? And maybe the baby was a sleep when she started to stab it, but i would think not for long.I just don't understand how such a horrific crime was commited, and with all these people in the house, no one heard anything, until the killer woke up her mother,truly weird. If I could ever quit working two jobs and retire, I have been thinking about being a child advocate, the State of Texas will train you.

I'm not rich by any means, but maybe i could set up some sort of place to help pregnant women who are having problems, so this sort of thing doesn't happen to another baby.Give them mental and emotional help,etc.Heck, make it for other parents too who are having issues.

i have complete sympathy for all those suffering from this situation.

clearly something was wrong with that woman and she needs help

or to be put away.

Postpartum depression perhaps?

on a more flippant note:

regarding the title: was there ever an NON horrific slaying?

Name me an atheist that believes in the devil? <---not to sound rude but only religious people will believe in the devil......and they believe the devil controls a lot of bad things.

Hop over to the religious threads you will get your eyes truly opened on what they all claim the devil is responsible for

It is religion...the devil is only ever associated with RELIGION........ oh and yes there has been murder cases where people claim god made them do it too

Dont try and tell me non believers do this...no they do not......they never claim the devil did it to them...........only those that believe in the devil and the devil goes hand in hand with religion Always has done, always will do

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Name me an atheist that believes in the devil? <---not to sound rude but only religious people will believe in the devil......and they believe the devil controls a lot of bad things.

Hop over to the religious threads you will get your eyes truly opened on what they all claim the devil is responsible for

It is religion...the devil is only ever associated with RELIGION........ oh and yes there has been murder cases where people claim god made them do it too

Dont try and tell me non believers do this...no they do not......they never claim the devil did it to them...........only those that believe in the devil and the devil goes hand in hand with religion Always has done, always will do

I believe you missed my point, and maybe I made it clearer in the second post. I was just trying to point out that if she wasn't a religious person, then she would have attributed the voices to someone else; perhaps someone prominent in her specific environment. That's why I used the aliens or Bob Barker examples.

Religion is widespread. It would seem likely to me that a lot of the people who commit crimes influenced by mental illness attribute the voices to a prominent figure in their specific (read religious) environment(God, Jesus, the devil, etc).

Of course an atheist wouldn't be apt to pin the voices they hear on "the devil", something they believe is just myth. They would find another prominent figure in their environment to attribute the voices to, whatever that may be.

Here is a link to a story where a man kills his father after hearing the voice of Yoda and believing his father was becoming a Dark Lord of the Sith. Now, he said he also heard the voice of God and Jesus. But, he killed his father because of the delusion that he was a Sith Lord. The mentally ill man probably had some religious influence, but obviously was also a fan of Star Wars. The voices he was hearing were caused by his illness. The names he gave the voices were from prominent figures of his environment.

I believe it's important in these cases to not resort to blanket statements. It's important that we see this for what it is and recognize that the cause of this horror is in fact the illness that she suffers from. That way, we, as a society, can move further in helping those that suffer from mental illnesses from reaching this breaking point. There are too many factors with her recent birth, possible previous mental illness, stress, etc to say exactly what happened to bring her to this point.

I agree that there are plenty of religious nuts around, but in this case I found it a disservice to all involved by just chalking it up to religion because she said the devil made me do it.

And again, Beckys_Mom, this isn't at all a personal attack on you, and I apologize that my first post came off a bit flippant.

I believe you missed my point,

I believe you missed the point of the thread...we all came in to give a comment on the story at hand..you came to complain about me saying she was a religious nut

I stick by my statement....I still believe she was some religious nut claiming the devil made her do it.nuff said...No ofence but we all know about crazy killings and how people heard voices from ET's or Elvis or Mr Ed LOL.. this one is linked to religion with the devil telling her to do it......that is where I stand

I dont think anything more can be said...

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I believe it's important in these cases to not resort to blanket statements. It's important that we see this for what it is and recognize that the cause of this horror is in fact the illness that she suffers from. That way, we, as a society, can move further in helping those that suffer from mental illnesses from reaching this breaking point. There are too many factors with her recent birth, possible previous mental illness, stress, etc to say exactly what happened to bring her to this point.

I agree that there are plenty of religious nuts around, but in this case I found it a disservice to all involved by just chalking it up to religion because she said the devil made me do it.

This was the point I was making (sorry it took me 3 posts to do so). And it is very pertinent to the thread. I do respect your opinion, even if I feel the need to challenge it. Thank you for the discussion, Beckys_Mom.

This was the point I was making (sorry it took me 3 posts to do so). And it is very pertinent to the thread. I do respect your opinion, even if I feel the need to challenge it. Thank you for the discussion, Beckys_Mom.

Thanks for the challenge lol..... no harm caused

She is messed up! One good thing is that she didn't go after the others in the house.

The immedicacy of which this happened after the birth of her child, along with the statements that for all accounts, she was not known to have a mental illness beforehand, made me think - PostPartum Depression.

Here's a link: PPD-The Mayo Clinic

Many new moms experience the baby blues after childbirth. An estimated 10 percent of new moms experience a more severe form of emotional distress known as postpartum depression. Rarely, an extreme form of postpartum depression known as postpartum psychosis develops after childbirth.

I highlighted the last sentence, because I wonder if that's what this woman suffered from. Whether it was brought on purely by the birth, or was triggered by some previous undiagnosed mental illness, we'll probably not know.

Postpartum psychosis

With postpartum psychosis — a rare condition that typically develops within the first two weeks after delivery — the signs and symptoms are even more severe. Signs and symptoms of postpartum psychosis may include:

Confusion and disorientation

Hallucinations and delusions

Paranoia

Attempts to harm yourself or the baby

I feel for this entire family, and my thoughts are with that poor little boy. :no:

Edited by FairyJosie24

The immedicacy of which this happened after the birth of her child, along with the statements that for all accounts, she was not known to have a mental illness beforehand, made me think - PostPartum Depression.

Here's a link: PPD-The Mayo Clinic

I highlighted the last sentence, because I wonder if that's what this woman suffered from. Whether it was brought on purely by the birth, or was triggered by some previous undiagnosed mental illness, we'll probably not know.

I feel for this entire family, and my thoughts are with that poor little boy. :no:

Yes but PPD doesn't really account for the extreme brutality or mutilation of the little boy. Most deaths due to ppd is smothering or drowning maybe poison ect. This seems to have gone darker than PPD can explain.

Yes but PPD doesn't really account for the extreme brutality or mutilation of the little boy. Most deaths due to ppd is smothering or drowning maybe poison ect. This seems to have gone darker than PPD can explain.

That's why I included the symptoms of Post Partum Psychosis.... they seem to fit this woman. But like you said, the extreme to which she took it makes me think that she had an undiagnosed mental illness beforehand, and the Post Partum just exacerbated it; made it much, much worse. It's scary what these illnesses can drive someone to do. :hmm:

According to one report, there was cannibalism involved in this...crime. I don't get it, I just can't understand how anyone could get into such a mind set to do this. It just blows me away

According to one report, there was cannibalism involved in this...crime. I don't get it, I just can't understand how anyone could get into such a mind set to do this. It just blows me away

Perhaps then the Devil truly exists.

well said hetroxly!..............as sad as this article is.....so many lives have been affected by her actions.A very severely mentally ill woman indeed,it's incredibly sad she didn't seek help :cry: