Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery altar found at Roman fort

UM-Bot

roman.jpg
Image credit: Matthias Kabel
A huge ornately carved stone altar has been unearthed during excavations at a Roman fort in England. The relic weighs in at some 1.5 tons, is four foot high and appears to be dedicated to an eastern cult deity.

"A massive altar dedicated to an eastern cult deity has emerged during excavations of a Roman fort in northern England. Weighing 1.5 tons, the four-foot high ornately carved stone relic, was unearthed at the Roman fort of Vindolanda, which was built by order of the Emperor Hadrian between 122-30 A.D. "

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: Discovery Channel
  • Like 1

I'm confused... what's mysterious about it? It seems to be recognized as a alter dedicated to a Jupiter diety.

It is a rare find. I would love to have a copy of it for my yard. That would be so cool.

It is a rare find. I would love to have a copy of it for my yard. That would be so cool.

That is pretty cool looking................ :tu:

Roman troops erected altars to Cybele and other Eastern Mediterranean deities all over Southern Britain. Many of them still exist. So where does the "mystery" come in?

I would love to have a copy of it for my yard. That would be so cool.

Yes? Just wait until the copies of the old Roman priests show up at 3 a. m. and drag you screaming off to it. :D

• 2 years later...

Looks like an altar Mithra, to me.

Looks like an altar Mithra, to me.

Seems to have been put to rest fairly definitely three years ago when the article and thread were put up.:

Romans called this god Juppiter Dolichenus, but it was originally an ancient weather god, known to the Semitic peoples of the Middle East as Hadad and to the Hittites as Teshab.

It was in its war-like representation that the Anatolian god Juppiter of Doliche became a favorite deity among Roman soldiers.

Indeed, an inscription indicates that the altar was dedicated to the Dolichenus god by "Sulpicius Pudens, prefect of the Fourth Cohort of Gauls."