Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lesser-known Cryptids?

Wolfwing

I was hoping you guys could provide me with the names of some little-known cryptids for me to google, because frankly, I get tired of hearing about Bigfoot and Nessie. ^_^

So, what are your favorite cryptids that you think deserve more recognition?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wolfwing

• Yuperdoodlesand

• Undeadskeptic

• Samuronin

TAILY-PO!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tailypo

This scarred (not scare, scar) me as a child, and thusly is my favorite. I think it's lesser-known. It is the first book I remember reading, and the creature its self is scary. It's more folklore then cryptid, but I'm sure it's based off of something they thought to exist. I do...

Taily-po! Holy ****, I remember reading this story years ago and it scared the crap out of me too. I agree in it being more folklore than cryptid, but thank you for bringing it back to my mind. =) I wish I could remember where I read it. What was the name of the book you mentioned?

The Mongolian death worm, Frog and Lizard men, and the Jackalope.

Werewolf..Aint exactyl like bigfoot...Mothman....The REal hobbit...White wolves of kentucky....

Taily-po! Holy ****, I remember reading this story years ago and it scared the crap out of me too. I agree in it being more folklore than cryptid, but thank you for bringing it back to my mind. =) I wish I could remember where I read it. What was the name of the book you mentioned?

Oh my god, another Tailypo victim! It was just a book called Tailypo, a kid's book actually. My friend bought it for me a few years ago and I honestly screamed when I tore the paper off of it.

It's this copy. bkTheTailypo.gif

It seems to be a popular copy.

... Also, what *real* hobbit!? Hobbits are a fictional creature, and anything else is just nicknamed. So what's the real name of this thing?

I can't believe they made that for kids. I couldn't sleep after reading that. It scarred me, too. I DON'T HAVE YOUR TAILYPO!!!

Thank you KillerRabbit and Eco727. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Except when I googled "Mushusshus" I got absolutely nothing. xD

Thanks Spend. Should've known to check Wikipedia, lol. I think I've even seen that before but I didn't think of it.

I think it's fun to find out more about cryptids that don't get so much attention. You might find a really interesting one that you can tell people about. =)

The Crying Wolf

A wolf that uses the cry of a child to lure people into the woods... where the wolf kills and eats them. People claim the wolf has only become so smart, because he is very old... and learned by years of observation. Here's the original story, which took place during the gold rush!

In the 1850's royal engineers came looking for a suitable place to settle along the Fraser River, for the Gold Rush. A single road was to be made to allow transport to and from the Valley... and work was to be started right away. During initial surveying stages a young man, who's job was simply to put markers where he was told, had gone missing. The super-intendant was furious, and was heard asking other workers where the kid could be... or if they saw him, nobody did. The next day they had already gotten a volunteer to fill the kids spot... and work was going fine, until the super intendant heard a child crying. He got two workers to follow him into the woods to find the child, and they came to a small bush... where a small wicker basket covered with a blanket was nestled inside. One of the workers went to find a stick to try and pull the basket close enough to grab... and as he left, the super intendant saw bloodied clothes nearby, and instantely recognized them as the missing worker's. He grabbed his pistol, went near the clothes and a large wolf jumped from a small trench behind the bush... and the super-intendent fired several shots scaring away the wolf. The worker that went to get a stick returned after hearing the shots... the man ensured the worker he was fine, and to grab the baby. But when they pulled the basket towards them, they found it was empty... they assumed the wolf ate the worker and the crying child until several weeks laters... when the road was done, a man was severely injured after going to a small woaded area to look for a child after hearing cries. He was attacked by a wolf.

To this day, people around this area tell children never to wander into the woods if you hear crying... because it could be the crying wolf.

Burrunjor (My fav cryptid, I luvs) is little-known but interesting.

The Crying Wolf sounds more like folklore than a cryptid to me. Interesting story though, thanks. =)

Fear Liath was pretty fascinating. Just from reading the Wikipedia article I learned stuff that had nothing to do with it, lol.

Wow, so Burrunjor is basically like a T-Rex? Interesting. =3

Thanks guys.

Up where I come from (MA) We had the Dover Demon, which was sighted only a few times back in the 70s. Of course, it's not a "mainstream" cryptid but it was well known in New England.

The Bloop, I don't know if any of you people will consider it a cryptid, but the sound came from an animal right??

I think it needs more recognition because its the only cryptid I know that scientists didn't snub . ;)

I have heard of both the Dover Demon and the Bloop, both very interesting. I think I will look into them some more now. =)

The Crying Wolf sounds more like folklore than a cryptid to me. Interesting story though, thanks. =)

Fear Liath was pretty fascinating. Just from reading the Wikipedia article I learned stuff that had nothing to do with it, lol.

Wow, so Burrunjor is basically like a T-Rex? Interesting. =3

Thanks guys.

Oh yes. I've heard some excellent stories from my Australian mate:

- One friend of a friedn story states that a farmer once found a half-eaten bull just outside the torn wire fencing.

- A tourist was once, alledgedly, witness to a pair of the animals in the bush.

Australia seems to have a lot of great cryptids. I don't think there's anything else quite like the bunyip. xD

mokele mebebe, kongomanto ,tengu,morogwar,owlman,atmospheric jellyfish,bunyip,arwang and look at encyclopediea here

tengu

I remember these from Okami. xD Video games are educational after all. =3 I'm gonna look up the ones you listed.

This site has an encyclopedia? Where?

Samuronin: There's contention over the Bloop's source. Some scientists say it sounds living, others say it could have been generated by shearing ice.