Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iraq Soccer Team Qualifies for Olympics

DC09

AMMAN, Jordan - Iraq's soccer team qualified for the Athens Olympics on Wednesday, less than three months after the country was reinstated by the International Olympic Committee.

Iraq beat Saudi Arabia 3-1, and then clinched the third and final Asian qualifying spot when Kuwait held Oman to a scoreless draw.

Celebratory gunfire was heard in central Baghdad after the match, and tracers zoomed across the sky.

"It's a crazy joy for us," Iraq defender Ahmed Alwan said. "Despite all of the difficulties we faced, we still managed to qualify for Athens and I believe that we deserve our place in the Olympics."

Both Iraq and Oman finished Group C play with nine points, but Iraq won based on goal difference.

Only one team qualifies from the group.

Article

Good for them. thumbsup.gif

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wunarmdscissor

• DC09

• Fluffybunny

• Pendekar Timur

go iraq!

Yeah it's good to see some good news from Iraq for a change!

Celebratory gunfire was heard in central Baghdad after the match, and tracers zoomed across the sky.

That is funny...same thing happens at Oakland Raider games... whistling2.gif

I cant believe they beat saudi arabia. especially 3-1. well done to them.

Pity we never get a team at the olympics its not fair. ive always said fifa and uefa have a conspiracy against britain.

I believe Iraq is undefeated in 2006 World Cup qualifying so far too...I think they have ties vs. Uzbekistan and Palestine.

BTW KELLALOR ITS NOT SOCCER ITS FOOTBALL.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

isn't football just a generic term used to describe all the ball sports involving feet and balls?

rolleyes.gif

This is football.

tongue.gif

Edited by Kellalor

rolleyes.gif

This is football.

tongue.gif

Dear Kellalor,

i think..that's AMERICAN FOOTBALL...

for me Football is Maradonna...

grin2.gif

isn't football just a generic term used to describe all the ball sports involving feet and balls?

No the game is football. lol

This is football.

No its rugby for wimps.

What the heck is Maradonna? huh.gif

No the game is football. lol

This is football.

No its rugby for wimps.

*shrug* Whatever.

I hate sports to be honest. w00t.gif

I hate sports to be honest. w00t.gif

I'm with you on that one...

How people get so fired up about a kids game is beyond me...

What the heck is Maradonna? huh.gif

p/s-i think the link not workin..

so i have to cut/paste this Yahoo news for you.. rolleyes.gif

(i just wanna let you know who the heck is Maradona..)

World Sports - AFP

Football legend Maradona fights for life after heart failure.

Mon Apr 19, 8:18 AM ET

BUENOS AIRES (AFP) - Argentine football legend Diego Maradona, who

has a history of drug abuse and weight problems, was fighting for his life in critical condition in hospital after suffering acute heart failure.

Dozens of his fans held a vigil in front of The Swiss-Argentine clinic, praying for their fallen star.

The hospital said in a statement Monday that the 43-year-old former captain of the Argentine national team was unable to breathe by himself.

His doctor, Alfredo Cahe, told reporters that Maradona's reaction over the next 24-48 hours would be crucial to his recovery chances.

Buenos Aires swirled with rumours about the cause of the illness, with the TN television channel saying Maradona's plight stemmed from a drug overdose.

Dozens of his fans held a vigil in front of The Swiss-Argentine clinic, praying for their fallen star.

The hospital said in a statement Monday that the 43-year-old former captain of the Argentine national team was unable to breathe by himself.

His doctor, Alfredo Cahe, told reporters that Maradona's reaction over the next 24-48 hours would be crucial to his recovery chances.

Buenos Aires swirled with rumours about the cause of the illness, with the TN television channel saying Maradona's plight stemmed from a drug overdose.

Considered one of the greatest footballers of all time, Maradona has been battling drug addiction for years. He was suspended while playing in the Italian championship in the 1990s after testing positive for cocaine.

The Buenos Aires clinic said Maradona was admitted after suffering "congestive heart failure" caused by high blood pressure.

It said Maradona "is receiving medication to strengthen the heart; and as he developed acute respiratory failure he was put on a ventilator and therefore is heavily sedated."

"The reaction to the medication has been favourable, and he is stabilised." But the statement said doctors gave only a "reserved" assessment of his condition.

Cahe told reporters outside the clinic "we will have to wait 24-to-48 hours to know the evolution." He refused to answer questions about whether Maradona had had a drug overdose.

The TN report quoted members of Maradona's "intimate circle" as saying the former footballer was rushed to hospital following an overdose.

Maradona's father, Diego, his ex-wife, Claudia Villafane, and their two children, Dalma and Gianina, had been at the hospital.

Carlos Bilardo, who was coach of the Argentine national football team when it won the 1986 World Cup in Mexico, visited the hospital in the evening but declined to make any statement.

"He wanted to have a few health check-ups," one of the former footballer's close relatives told reporters as rumours mounted that Maradona was in intensive care.

The clinic released the statement as it became the subject of international attention.

Maradona's recent return to Argentina from Cuba on March 22 had prompted concern and speculation about his health because of the excess weight he has put on.

Despite concerns about his health, he was seen playing football on March 23 with students and personnel of La Plata university, a game in which he scored a goal from a penalty kick.

Maradona had earlier watched his former club Boca Juniors play league rivals Nuevo Chicago but left during the second half and was later admitted to the clinic.

Since January 2000, Maradona has spent a lot of time in Cuba where he has already made attempts to kick his alleged drug habit.

His roller-coaster career began in 1977 and ended in 1994.

Maradona played 91 matches for Argentina and scored 34 goals, including his infamous "hand of God" goal against England when he duped the referee and fisted the ball into the net to open the scoring in a 2-1 World Cup quarter-final win over England in Mexico City.

He also played for a host of famous clubs including his home side Boca Juniors, Spanish giants Barcelona and Napoli in Italy.

In 2000 he tied with Pele as the greatest footballer ever in a poll run by world governing body FIFA.

But unlike the gentle Brazilian genius, Maradona's private life was a maelstrom of highs and lows that finally took a devastating toll on his own health.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by Pendekar Timur

What the heck is Maradonna? 

The greatest footballer to ever grace a football pitch.