Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Molly Bish murder

JonathanVonErich

16 minutes ago, regi said:

That does seem to be what's implied...(article below). I wonder when the campground closed and when the current owner took over because- if they have been previously denied permission- it sounds to me like the reason was that it was still open. 

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2017/06/family_hopes_campground_yields_clues_to_molly_bish_killer

The way I understand it, they've submitted items from which they think DNA evidence could be obtained.

Right?! And, I've had terrible thoughts occur to me...like what if the perp actually didn't drive a white car? Or what if the man in the white car- the man in the composite- isn't the perp? (I think he is, though, for one thing, he hasn't come forward.) 

Btw, I spent a considerable amount of time this weekend looking over the previous POI's in this case and at the moment, I'm most interested in this one linked below. I wonder if you've heard of him, and what you think.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20070810/NEWS/708100696

this is the first i have heard of bruno. i would have to know what kind of evidence they have pointing to him to form an opinion. i honestly still think it was rodney stanger. he really seems like the most likely suspect to me...

http://www.telegram.com/article/20120717/NEWS/107179923

http://www.fox25boston.com/news/molly-bish-rodney-stanger-may-have-crossed-paths-1/141310989

3 hours ago, regi said:

Oh, I love places like that! Where I live, things are constantly changing every which way. <_<

Thanks. :tu: 

Well, the reason I asked is that I'm curious as to how close to the woods the perp could have actually parked- if of course, that's the route he used. Do either of the trails come out of the woods at/near that clearing in the cemetery?

One more question, are those two buildings on the northeast edge of the pond private residences? I know you've mentioned that there was one house within view and I'm wondering which that was.

you could park within about 20 feet of either trail. if you're talking about the clearing i think you are than yes one of the trails comes out there and would probably be the least risky. its traveled less and maybe a bit shorter than the other one. but that is a newer part of the cemetery so it gets more traffic than where the other trail that comes out in a much older part of the cemetery. those buildings you're seeing are a pump house and a building that is used by the town for storage. the closest house is the one about 100 feet up from the parking lot on the right.

Edited by billyf
clearify
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, billyf said:

this is the first i have heard of bruno. i would have to know what kind of evidence they have pointing to him to form an opinion.

Well, I'd just heard of himself myself and I'd like to know more about him.

If I had the resources, I'd approach him as I would any other POI, that is, I'd want to include or exclude and I'd do that by trying to establish whether there was opportunity.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, billyf said:

i honestly still think it was rodney stanger. he really seems like the most likely suspect to me...

The most peculiar aspect to me re: Stanger is the info. that it was his brother who'd driven a similar car- similar to the car still sought in the Bish case- and that that brother is missing... :huh:

• Like 2

^ According to info. in the article linked below, it was when Rodney Stanger was arrested- in '09- that his brother, Randy, was considered as "missing" by his family, but he was located and jailed in Ma. on an outstanding drug warrant.

Also in the article, it's reported that Randy was questioned the day Holly Piirainen was abducted, and so I'm wondering what led authorities to Randy...and one more thing, in previous reports re: Holly's abduction, it's implied that Holly's brother wasn't with her at the time of the abduction, but in this particular article, it seems to me it's implied that he actually may have witnessed her abduction...:unsure2:

http://www.fox25boston.com/news/holly-piirainen-new-details-emerge-in-19yearold-murder-case/139232396

• Like 1

14 hours ago, regi said:

^ According to info. in the article linked below, it was when Rodney Stanger was arrested- in '09- that his brother, Randy, was considered as "missing" by his family, but he was located and jailed in Ma. on an outstanding drug warrant.

Also in the article, it's reported that Randy was questioned the day Holly Piirainen was abducted, and so I'm wondering what led authorities to Randy...and one more thing, in previous reports re: Holly's abduction, it's implied that Holly's brother wasn't with her at the time of the abduction, but in this particular article, it seems to me it's implied that he actually may have witnessed her abduction...:unsure2:

http://www.fox25boston.com/news/holly-piirainen-new-details-emerge-in-19yearold-murder-case/139232396

i get chills every time i think about the holly piirainen case. a friend of my parents lived adjacent to the brimfield state forest. we were over there one day riding our dirt bikes and every time the wind would blow there was a terrible smell. my father and his friend thought there was a dead animal in the woods and actually took their bikes into the state forest to try to find the source. they didnt. a couple weeks later they found holly just off his property. i will never forget how i felt when i found out that it was that poor little girl. i wish i could but im sure it will always stick with me.... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2017 at 1:08 AM, seymour glass said:

a friend of my parents lived adjacent to the brimfield state forest.

Adjacent how? (I mean, I know adjacent means adjoining, but in which way was it adjoining?)

^ Please allow me to explain my line of thinking, which is simply that if it's apparent that the perp merely pulled over to the side of the road to dump the body, then I think that strongly indicates that there was another crime scene, most likely the perp's home. 

The thing is, I think it's a sexually motivated crime and from what I understand, such crimes are often serial and indeed, there are several other such unsolved crimes which have occurred in that particular area of Ma..

Speaking of that particular area, the names of the places and locations I've come across are just about enough to drive one crazy, me anyway; there's Sturbridge, Southbridge, Seven Bridges...Warren, Ware, Wayland...Brookfield and Brimfield... there may have been some other -field or Brook-  among those...I don't remember but it's been a challenge to keep them all separated and straight....:blink:

Anyway, needless to say (again), there are several other unsolved crimes in that particular area of Ma spanning over two decades and while I highly doubt- I don't/wouldn't believe at this point- that one perp is responsible for all of them, I think it's highly probable that one perp is responsible for at least two, and so the point I'm trying to make is that it appears to me that a geographic profile could be very helpful, very insightful, and if authorities have attempted to establish such, then I'm definitely interested to know what it might have offered/showed.

Edited by regi

On 7/9/2017 at 2:33 PM, regi said:

Adjacent how? (I mean, I know adjacent means adjoining, but in which way was it adjoining?)

There are trails that lead from his back yard to the state forest. 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2017 at 9:01 PM, seymour glass said:

There are trails that lead from his back yard to the state forest. 

:tu: Got it. Thanks!

So considering potential access and distance to the recovery site from the nearest road, does it appear to you that- by car- the perp must have entered the forest in the usual way, I mean, rather than having pulled over to the side of the road?

(I'm trying to form an impression as to whether the recovery site was also where the murder occurred, in other words, whether the recovery site was the 2nd or 3rd crime scene.)

Have you heard any word regarding final results of that search at the old campground?

I don't know if you've seen this latest video.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/20/2017 at 9:50 AM, regi said:

:tu: Got it. Thanks!

So considering potential access and distance to the recovery site from the nearest road, does it appear to you that- by car- the perp must have entered the forest in the usual way, I mean, rather than having pulled over to the side of the road?

(I'm trying to form an impression as to whether the recovery site was also where the murder occurred, in other words, whether the recovery site was the 2nd or 3rd crime scene.)

Have you heard any word regarding final results of that search at the old campground?

I don't know if you've seen this latest video.

No,  I haven't heard anything new about the search of the campground. It leads me to believe that they didn't find anything. As far as holly goes, I'm not sure how the prep got into the woods whether it was via an access road or if he just pulled over on the side of the road and walked into the woods. I was pretty young when it happened but if I remember correctly there were very few houses on that road and I believe my parents friends house was the last one. Do believe that where was found was a secondary crime scene. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't know if the 1992 case of the abduction and murder of Lisa Ziegert has ever been mentioned in association with the Bish case, but it's one I came across and looked into as a result of searching for other similar, unsolved cases.

In the Ziegert case, DNA was obtained which was eventually sent to a lab which performs what's called a phenotype snapshot, and I was intrigued with that kind of advancement in DNA typing and so I looked into it and while I found that DNA phenotyping has it's limitations, in this case, I'm amazed at how close the results of the snapshot actually is to the man who's now arrested and charged!

Re: the Bish case, it occurred to me at the time that if there's DNA - and of course, it's sufficient for such analysis- how interesting I'd be to compare a phenotype snapshot  result with the composites!

Here's a link to the story re: the arrest in the Ziegert case, and the next link is to an article reporting on the release of the phenotype snapshot.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/we-got-you-arrest-in-1992-cold-case-slaying-of-mass-teachers-aide-lisa-ziegert/

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/09/lisa_ziegert_dna_image_of_suspect.html

Edited by regi

• 3 years later...

I know there was already a thread on this case but I can't seem to find it. 

I'm sure some of you are familiar with this case. It's very close to home for me, literally. This happened in my home town. My sister went to school with Molly and I know her older brother and sister. I'm really hoping this leads somewhere and brings some closure to the family

https://www.google.com/amp/s/boston.cbslocal.com/2021/06/03/molly-bish-murder-case-warren-suspect-frank-sumner/

Another article about it. This one mentions Rodney Stranger. He's the person I honestly believed was responsible. I'm very curious to see how this plays out. Hopefully there will be some follow up articles with a little more information in the near future. 

https://www.masslive.com/worcester/2021/06/molly-bish-murder-case-compare-photo-of-person-of-interest-francis-sumner-sr-to-police-sketch-of-man-seen-near-pond-where-16-year-old-was-abducted.html

Took a smidge of digging, the other thread is indeed an old one so it isn't in the current cache. I think this is it?

The thread is only three pages long, and I don't know if any of the links there still work considering the age of the thread. 

• Thanks 2

That's the one lol I knew it was there somewhere but I couldn't find it. I remember commenting on it but I knew it was quite a while ago. 

There is actually quite a bit of information in the old thread and I checked a few of the links and they still seem to be working. Thanks for finding it for me! 

Edited by Holden M. Caulfield

49 minutes ago, rashore said:

I've merged the new thread and information in with the old one :tu:

Thank you. I was kinda hoping that's what would happen

• Like 1

https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/06/04/da-molly-bishs-father-may-have-met-her-killer/

Another interesting article. I always wondered if the fact that her father was a probation officer had anything to do with her murder. That's not what they're implying in the article at all but it's still something that has always been in the back of my mind. 

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/06/04/metro/molly-bish-murder-suspects-family-demands-worcester-da-provide-proof-or-stop-accusing-him-horrific-crime/ 

Last one for today. The family of the POI is demanding to know what evidence they have on the suspect. According to the article, the POI submitted DNA years ago for the investigation

Edited by Holden M. Caulfield

• 1 year later...

Hello, I know it's been  a year since this thread was posted about, but I wanted to make a post since I recently had a dream about Holly Piirainen. I grew up in Southbridge and my grandparents have a lakehouse in Sturbridge on a different lake, but not far from where Holly was taken. I am just a few years older than she was. I also met Molly Bish at a CPR class at the Y just a couple of weeks before she was taken. Anyway, I dreamed that I was walking along the Podunk Pike and I saw Holly. She stopped and said Hi so I also said Hi. Then I saw that she was holding something and she showed me that it was a picture of Rodney Stanger. She said "You know his nephew." and that was the end of the dream. It's true that I know his nephew as I went to school with Randy's son in Southbridge for a couple years. I messaged her facebook group with the dream and the family is going to see if the detective ever spoke with Randy's son. He would've been 15 at the time.

It's eerie how much the composite they came up with from Zachary's memory looks like Randy. A couple of teen girls saw a creepy guy driving a truck back and forth of South Shore Drive just before Holly went missing and I wonder if they ever asked them if the drawing looks like the guy they saw?