Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dog like creatures?

rainbow_serpent

Hello has their ever been reports of dog like beasts? I'm writing a movie script and I want it to be based on something authentic. Also: have indians ever reported mythical beasts?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• man_in_mudboots

• jenk

• rainbow_serpent

• saucy

Well for the Native American Monsters (I think you are refering to them and not the east Indians) theres big foot for one, that nessi like one called onoga or something, and theres that Inuit one called Qulupulit (most likly wrong spelling.

For the dog one I think there is some type of scottish legend based around a strange dog but the name escapes me. You could also use the 3 headed dog that guarded the entrance into the under world, I also forget it's name.

This is a repost of mine from a different forum:

Back in my hometown of Brixham, Devon, England, there was this old bridge that used to have traintracks going over it. The tracks had long since vanished leaving just the bridge which was deep and made of grey stone that was blackened underneath. It was flat on top, and arched underneath like the top of a basketball. The roof was quite low to the ground where the road went under it.

I had never seen anything but there had been many, MANY strange sightings of a ghostly huge black dog that would watch cars driving underneath sometimes, and even run out of one wall into the car, dent the car and fall over dead. When the person got out of the car, they would see a huge dent on their car hood with black shorched claw marks, but no sign of any animal.

Rumour had it that back in the late 1940's when the tracks were still in use a great dog had been crushed by the train on the tracks going over the bridge.

My Dad showed me once huge scratch marks on the walls under the tunnel. That was enough to make me not want to go back there.

Well for the Native American Monsters (I think you are refering to them and not the east Indians) theres big foot for one, that nessi like one called onoga or something, and theres that Inuit one called Qulupulit (most likly wrong spelling.

For the dog one I think there is some type of scottish legend based around a strange dog but the name escapes me. You could also use the 3 headed dog that guarded the entrance into the under world, I also forget it's name.

Thank you. I've already started writing the script. These beasts could perhaps be wolf like instead of dog like. In the film they are going to destroy someones crops. Can you think of anything wolf like or boar(sp?) like that is based on legend that would destroy property?

Well there is the Fenris Wolf that will distroy the world during the Ragnorak (norse), that might be a little to much distrution! He has to brothers as well, one will eat the moon the other the sun. Well there is always werewolves, but that is over used way to much. I can't think of any wolf or dog like monster that would try to distroy crops realy. I could see them going after the live stock though and lairing in the crops. The boar would be better as a crop killer but there are not very many legendary boar. The only boar that comes to mind is the greek metal boar. Perhaps you could tell me alittle about the script?

Scottish is the Black Shulk, I think you mean. And the three headed one is Cerebrus from Greek mythology.

That's it! I can't believe I forgot it's name!

and for the native american monters, there ar:

the piasa, a man eating bird monster that starred in cliff paintings

the windigo, another man eater, but a zombie/vampire type that likes to hide

the wendigo, a spirit that consumes your soul

I read something ages ago about a black dog legend in america, a man was walking through a graveyard and huge black dog walked up to him and said "I shall want you within the week" and he died the next day.

I've heard about black dogs in england being thought responsible for mysterious fires, but I don't know about any in america.

if it's in eastern canada or north eastern america, you can do the loup garou. it's a lot like a werewolf but different in ways i can't remember at the moment.

Edited by chico del nacho

Or you could always go with a hellhound.

I've racked my brain, but that's all I can think of that hasn't been said yet.

Im not sure where it is (either Asia or Europe) there were reports by some people of seeing a dinosaur like beast with a dog like head wandering around in the forest.

if it's in eastern canada or north eastern america, you can do the loup garou. it's a lot like a werewolf but different in ways i can't remember at the moment.

i was under the impression that in parisian french, loup garou actually meant werewolf. its different in cajun french, of course.

You are all going on about dog-like creatures from Europe and America. There is this dog like creatue from Australia. it comes from lakes and folows people. growing in size every time you look behind you, then dissapearing.

Cerebrus

is that n e relation or base for cerberus from resident evil (zombie doberman)?

you can do whatever you want, it's your script, but in my opinion, dog-like creatures have been over done with werewolves, Cujo, and other mythology.

Hi, hellish hounds are well known in England.

There are stories of these hounds even attacking little children and things.

These black hounds usually have glowing red eyes and smell of sulphur. These reprts date back centuries, I have loadsa articles on them in my trove of books.

In terms of modern day occurences they are everywhere, though not as common of course...

if you want to know about dog monsters, you absolultely want to talk tothis fellow . youll have to e-mail him, though, i dont think he is still coming here.

Edited by man_in_mudboots