Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My do people always jump to conclusions?

ouijaouija

Hi all

I and all of you probably are a fanatic of the paranormal. But I tend to be quite logical and skeptical as it usually sifts out the 99% cases that are not really paranormal at all.

So.. why do so many people jump to conclusions or not try to explain things logically? Fir exmaple...

1) I have a scar on my belly, it was from my past life when I wasa soldier and that is how I was killed.

2) I was walking at night in one day and I felt something touch my shoulder, it was a ghost! (or not...)

3)This cup fell over and spilt all its contents, it was a poltergeist! (of course...)

I mean what happened to Occam's Razor? "the most logical and simple conclusion is usually the correct conclusion"

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aquatus1

• chico del nacho

• Chauncy

• ouijaouija

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not gonna debate you on this, i agree with you. people jump to conclusions quite a bit.

that occam's razor thing has always had me wondering.

"how's a nuclear bomb work?"

"elves."

"elves?"

"yep. simplest way to explain it."

not REALLY a good description of what occam's razor is, but that sort of thing always occurs to me when i hear about it...

not REALLY a good description of what occam's razor is, but that sort of thing always occurs to me when i hear about it...

*dramatic pause*

....I believe his explanation included "logical" as well as simple tongue.gif The theory doesn't mean an excuse to be lazy, it means that the most likely explanation, based on the facts, is probably the correct one.

oh i'm aware it needs logic. that kind of thought just occurs to me when i hear about occam's razor. besides, logic can be quite overrated sometimes.

lol besides, that elf answer is a surefire way to make little kids with lots of questions shut their filthy little pie holes grin2.gif

Jumping to conclusions is something we jump for when the truth is too high for us to jump up and grasp.

True paranormal investigators aren't doing it for the glory or the medals its done to facilitate the understanding of anomolies that seem to defy even occam's razor.

When people cloud the waters of truth with credulous conclusions or outright falsehoods, this not only makes the truth that much harder to discern for the investigator, but with-holds the understanding of truth for all of us.

The reasons why this credulous interpretation of evidence happens is many reasons. Many people want to feel unique in the sense they were chosen for that experience. That they themselves have paranormal characteristics and it is these characteristics that makes them different from anyone else..........the idea of being "Chosen" is an idea that many different groups cling to in an attempt to raise themselves above the whole of society......doesn't make it so though:)

True, a simple conclusion is not derived from how simply it can be said, but rather how simple the process that makes it work is.

I'm curious if there may be a physical area of the brain that is genetically programmed to, for lack of a better explanation, seek out a 'higher power', or an unexplainable force. I was excited when the book...shoot, I have forgotten the name...in it the author claimed (in the intro) to have evidence that there was an area of the brain that was geared towards the belief in the supernatural. Unfortunetely, it then progressively slid into using this as yet unproven hypothesis as proof of the existance of god and the supernatural, without ever getting around to the actual evidence that he had. Still, if there is a biological basis for supernatural belief, and I don't just mean an explanation of the sights, sounds, and feelings of the supernatural, but rather the actual belief that such a thing could exist...that I would find very interesting indeed.

That pretty much sums it..If something Paranormal happens to you, then you're "Special". So even mundane events take on a special quality for you, and life doesn't feel so pointless...

The tragedy of it is that it gets people to ignore the truly strange unexplained events, because they're already jaded from listening to countless stories that sound made up..

Still, if there is a biological basis for supernatural belief....

I think a good point to make is that there are many people who experience something paranormal, yet they still claim natural causes, or they simply do not make any definite conclusions.

For example someone could experience some unexplainable event, like a gohstly figure in moonlight, yet still seek out natural causes....which is the proper thing I suppose as long as that natural explaination can truly explain the end result.

If there is a part of the brain that qualifies as a bilogical center for understanding indeed believing in the supernatural......well the events would then be natural wouldn't they?

people jump to conclutions because

A. they dont know the truth

B. they don't care

C. they dont understand so they make s*** up

(if there's anything i missed then o well)