Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Insane asylum location

matelski87

So I just went there...no snakes, no guys with shotguns, no police, etc.

If anyone is interested I can post pics up soon.

I would like to see your pictures..... :yes:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sdmjhfsd

• _Only

• kiddglock

• Ryan.

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see your pictures..... :yes:

Alright, I took almost a gig's worth of photos, so I'm gonna try to find a good file hosting website and as soon as I have them uploaded I'll post the link.

By the way, is there anything else like this place around San Antonio? I'm still staying here for a little less than a week, and would love to hit up any other abandoned places...

Awesome photos. :tu:

I added a short video clip, it was pretty windy so the doors kept opening and closing...it made for a pretty cool effect.

Edited by mindcandy

I added a short video clip, it was pretty windy so the doors kept opening and closing...it made for a pretty cool effect.

I'll take a look. :D

If that was at night i think i would have had a heart attack or ran like i've never ran before. :tu:

• 8 months later...

I found out the actual location for the insane asylum. I've always wondered why no one would post it or at least give a general location. ok ladies and gentlemen put this address in your GPS if you wish to visit the asylum: 3756 Farm rd. that's the location of the asylum (or at least the address of the ranch across the street of it.

the address was actually 3621 Farm Road but that is now the address of the Juvenal that is next to it but the asylum has no address anymore.

The Asylum is on 3621 Farm Road because the building so old it doesn't have an address anymore be careful not to get caught because trespassers will be arrested... It is haunted and very scary... The real story of what happened is that it was opened on April 6,1892 "The Southern Insane Asylum." On the south side of San Antonio, occupied 640 acres and was capable of handling 500 patients. Over the years it became politically incorrect to refer to these patients as "INSANE" or "LUNATICS" as they had in the past. The name of the hospital was then changed to The San Antonio State Hospital. Over the time the hospital was renovated and by 1940, the population grew to 2,732 patients. Employed 450 people. Even at this time, only white people were admitted. It wasn't til 1964 that the first black patient was treated at the hospital. There are currently four structures standing. The Guard Shack or Security Housing, the Main Office Building, and Home for the well behaved patients, a Maintenance Building, and the Disciplinary Unit for the bad patients-the largest building. According to locals the property was permanently abandoned in 1996 for unknown reason. Some say the building hadn't been used as a hospital for quite some time, and that it had become their reasoning. Hundreds of pages and files on fire reports strewn about the place. Whatever it was when they finally abandoned the place, they left in a hurry. There are many pieces of equipment that were left behind, and a storage room that is full of unopened boxes. In the "Disciplinary" building there are still file cabinets full of charts and patients, information, and some evidence jars. The "Disciplinary" building is the most BIZARRE building of all. Most of it is still intact, there is a room with padded walls, and it was in this building that the electroshock therapy took place. Electroshock is a procedure that became prevalent in the 1940's in which doctors thought shooting electricity into your brain could control certain mental illness. For the next 30 years, hundred of thousands of patients of all ages, received electroshock treatments for every type of disorder including depression, mania, schizophrenia, and even homosexuality.Back in the 40's when this was the method of choice, many patients died at the San Antonio Insane Asylum as a result. hundreds of patients who either had no money or no family or were in Non-Verbal state and had no identity are all buried on the property behind the buildings in unmarked graves. There is very little information surrounding the San Antonio Insane Asylum. No one seems to know what went on there or why it was abandoned. The site is heavily guarded and there is a constant police.

To tell you about the man everyone says that shoots a shot gun up in the air to scare you away. There is actually nobody living there so it is really impossible to shoot something nobody is handling... There use to be someone living there but the man moved years back and later died so he could never go back cuz he passed. People hear a shot gun going off in the air but its only a figure of there imagination or they are scared and there mind plays tricks on them or they get so excited that they believe its true.... Nobody will be able to shoot a shot gun up in the air because there is a Juvenal that is rite next to the Asylum and if the workers there at the Juvenal hear it then they would call the police and I highly doubt that someone would want to take that chance of getting cought so I can a sure you that nobody lives there....

U wanna scary asylum look up Poveglia Island in Italy

Ooooooooooooooo. That sounds interesting. <3

If you go to www.texasescapes.com, they may have something on the little community of Southton.You have to click on Texas towns.Then go to the letter S ,click that,and look for Southton.Also go to The Texas Handbook Online.You can type in Southton,and they should have something on this asylum. There is a San Antonio State Hospital,it's on i think Southwest Military, also known as Loop 13, near Goliad Road.This asylum is still in use,and is surrounded by a high fence.This is not abandoned in any way.In San Antonio and the surrounding area there are abandoned houses and farms.

This is summer,so you have to watch out for things like snakes,etc.

Well,I went to Texas Escapes, but they didn't have anything on Southton.However, at the Texas handbook site, under the town of Southton, they mentioned that this ayslum was a detention home,The Bexar County Home for Boys,so it was a place for juvinile delinquents.

Alright, I took almost a gig's worth of photos, so I'm gonna try to find a good file hosting website and as soon as I have them uploaded I'll post the link.

By the way, is there anything else like this place around San Antonio? I'm still staying here for a little less than a week, and would love to hit up any other abandoned places...

There's actually alot of place in San Antonio you can try these supposedly haunted places La Lamita insane asylum, The Mission Drive in, Roaring 20's Dance Hall, Mission Trail, United Artist movie theater, Pilgrim State Hospital, Pilgrim Psychiatric Center, and the Edgewood Demolition State Hospital. you can also go online and go to www.google.com and type in haunted places in San Antonio

• 1 year later...

The abandon Asylum in San Antonio is next door to the Bexar County Juvenile Detention Center at 600 Mission Road. It is still a State Building and the cops will arrest you if they catch you there.

Lol, that made me laugh. I know the type. They probably sit in front of their window all day waiting for someone to show up just so they can make them go away. :lol:

Like the old lonely widows who live in the appartment below you and knock their roof/your floor with a broom handle evertime you make a noise? :D (appologies to any old lonely widows out there :( )