Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is our perception of time speeding up?!

archangel_josh

Hi,

I'm 26 years old and I've noticed that the last few years have been flying by. As in, actually super fast. Each weekend arrives quicker than the last. I find myself in awe at the end of each week that we're already down a week. Then the next week flys by.

I remember as a child looking into the 'end times' and there was a Hopi Indian concept of something called 'The Quickening' where things will move faster, time will fly by.

I am now completely aware of this.

At first I thought it was only because I was getting older. For example, when you're 3 years old it takes forever for Xmas to come around because 1 year is a third of your life. But when you're 50 it takes no time at all for it to come around. I'm aware that perhaps it may be because children revere Xmas and think about it all year. Just as a 50 year most likely looks foward to their vacation which can sometimes seem like forever to come around.

I've spoken to a few people and they have agreed that it's these past few years that have flown. I'm 26 and I spoke to a 36 year old and asked if time seemed to fly as quick as it seems when she was 26. She said no, it's only really very recently that she's felt this time quickening.

Seconds, minutes, hours, days, months, years all have the same periods of times - it's just that our PERCEPTIONS of them have quickened.

Which leads me to the idea of our consciousnesses approaching a critical mass. We're speeding up. I've looked into a few theories (I'll provide links below)

http://www.universeofsuccess.com/why-is-time-speeding-up.html

http://site.lunamyst.com/filelocker/Year2012.html#THE%20QUICKENING

From what I can see there's a theory that the Earth has a pulse/vibration and these vibrations are speeding up and we are feeling those vibrations. Approaching 2012, time will go even faster. Apparently leading up to a universal consciousness.

What does everyone else think? Is time speeding up? Or is it only our perceptions? What are your personal feelings on time? Did 1998 seem to go slower than 2008? If you are an older member of these forums, did 1982 go slower than 2008?

HELP!

-Josh

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rosewin

• _Only

• ShaunZero

• TheSearcher

Top Posters In This Topic

The older you get, the faster time seems to zip past you...unless you take time to discover the new.

Fact of Psychology, all that can be done against it is break out of the routine.

Ever hear the saying

''time flies when your having fun''

I have noticed this exact phenomena and have tried telling anyone who will listen that time is moving by faster as if the whole Universe is racing towards something.

When I was a child, early 80s, time went by real slow, the day would take forever just to end, an hour would last quite long, I remember vividly. If you would have asked me back then I would have said time moves slowly. In fact most of us have made this comment in the past most likely I know I have said time does move slow.

Now ask a kid today if time moves slow, they will say no, it moves fast, even they will say the day ends quickly.

My theory: that we have too much distraction to eat up our every hour from DVDs to internet to 300 channels on cable. None of that was really around in the 80s. Also if you went around back then you would find kids outside everywhere playing or hanging out. Not today. Everyone is inside playing video games.

Edited by Rosewin

I'm 21, and time seems to fly alot faster than it use to. Though I don't see anything abnormal there. It's mostly lifestyle changes.

I'm 25, and no matter how many people say "gosh time goes by so much faster the older you get" I still find a year seems exactly the same length as it did when I was 7. I think people say that so much that everyone starts believing it, and then feel it themselves.

Kind of like how mothers swear sugar makes their kids hyperactive, then people grow up and feel like they get a rush when they down a pixie stick. Yet scientific studies have disproved that theory (voluntary tests with hidden cameras proving how the mother's reacted as if their children were acting more hyper when given "high sugar" treats and drinks, when in fact their kids were given sugar-free treats and drinks). Then the kids would react to their mothers' nagging, thus creating an inevitable crying fit. Lol, sugar doesn't cause the shenanigans, the mom does! ^_^

I'm at home with the flu and trust me time seems to slow down, days won't end and are loooong. It's all a matter of perception and nothing else.

Its just on our mind I think....time gets faster when you don't think about it, but it gets slower when your aware.

Hi,

I'm 26 years old and I've noticed that the last few years have been flying by. As in, actually super fast. Each weekend arrives quicker than the last. I find myself in awe at the end of each week that we're already down a week. Then the next week flys by.

I remember as a child looking into the 'end times' and there was a Hopi Indian concept of something called 'The Quickening' where things will move faster, time will fly by.

I am now completely aware of this.

At first I thought it was only because I was getting older. For example, when you're 3 years old it takes forever for Xmas to come around because 1 year is a third of your life. But when you're 50 it takes no time at all for it to come around. I'm aware that perhaps it may be because children revere Xmas and think about it all year. Just as a 50 year most likely looks foward to their vacation which can sometimes seem like forever to come around.

I've spoken to a few people and they have agreed that it's these past few years that have flown. I'm 26 and I spoke to a 36 year old and asked if time seemed to fly as quick as it seems when she was 26. She said no, it's only really very recently that she's felt this time quickening.

Seconds, minutes, hours, days, months, years all have the same periods of times - it's just that our PERCEPTIONS of them have quickened.

Which leads me to the idea of our consciousnesses approaching a critical mass. We're speeding up. I've looked into a few theories (I'll provide links below)

http://www.universeofsuccess.com/why-is-time-speeding-up.html

http://site.lunamyst.com/filelocker/Year2012.html#THE%20QUICKENING

From what I can see there's a theory that the Earth has a pulse/vibration and these vibrations are speeding up and we are feeling those vibrations. Approaching 2012, time will go even faster. Apparently leading up to a universal consciousness.

What does everyone else think? Is time speeding up? Or is it only our perceptions? What are your personal feelings on time? Did 1998 seem to go slower than 2008? If you are an older member of these forums, did 1982 go slower than 2008?

HELP!

-Josh

i like how the first site stated NO sources.

i dont believe time is speeding up at all. just because you percieve a time in your life as slower than another, does not mean times speeding up.

Well if the universe is all of time and space, which it is, and the universe is moving outwards, then that means not just space but time is being stretched. Think about it.

I originally noticed time going by faster when I had to start paying monthly bills. :P

Well if the universe is all of time and space, which it is, and the universe is moving outwards, then that means not just space but time is being stretched. Think about it.

This is just a perception. Actual time is not changing at least not on a scale we can register. If it did that would mean that light speed is not constant and we can measure the speed of light pretty acuratly.

I'm sorry people but generally the older you are the more your sense of time changes (look up "sense of time" on wikipedia... how is there not a scientfic name of this yet of well I guess mental chronography is already taken ) there have been several studies over the years to prove this sorry its just the way it is no scary speeding up of time itself (which I'm fairly sure would shatter the laws of physics especially ones concerning light) just peoples perception of time as they age.

the weeks months and years go fast enough as it is I hate to think what it would be like when im in my 60's

I'm sorry people but generally the older you are the more your sense of time changes (look up "sense of time" on wikipedia... how is there not a scientfic name of this yet of well I guess mental chronography is already taken ) there have been several studies over the years to prove this sorry its just the way it is no scary speeding up of time itself (which I'm fairly sure would shatter the laws of physics especially ones concerning light) just peoples perception of time as they age.

the weeks months and years go fast enough as it is I hate to think what it would be like when im in my 60's

Yes, exactly, everyone has been right in their answers. And the Op's "quickening vibrations" theory, no offense, but it is merely pseudo-science.

I'll also add for what it's worth, I don't feel time is a natural "dimension" like physicists would like us to believe. Time is simply something man created from following the sun's position to the Earth. It's a tough concept I've been thinking about, and doesn't translate well in this post, but I've been trying to comprehend the idea of no time (no past, present, and future), that all that has happened, is happening, and will happen is all going on at once; no time.

Edgar Cayce: "Time is an illusion that has purpose"

Yes, exactly, everyone has been right in their answers. And the Op's "quickening vibrations" theory, no offense, but it is merely pseudo-science.

I'll also add for what it's worth, I don't feel time is a natural "dimension" like physicists would like us to believe. Time is simply something man created from following the sun's position to the Earth. It's a tough concept I've been thinking about, and doesn't translate well in this post, but I've been trying to comprehend the idea of no time (no past, present, and future), that all that has happened, is happening, and will happen is all going on at once; no time.

Edgar Cayce: "Time is an illusion that has purpose"

That is right Jerry. The universe is merely all of time and space combined. Outside of the universe there is no past, present, or future. That is why in theory once forgiven, truly forgiven, it is as if what you did wrong to hurt someone never occurred at all.

This is also why when you change one thing about yourself that is a real change you have changed yourself for all time. The older person no longer exists and if you were to leave this universe in the current condition it would be as if that older person never existed at all.

Edited by Rosewin

That is right Jerry. The universe is merely all of time and space combined. Outside of the universe there is no past, present, or future. That is why in theory once forgiven, truly forgiven, it is as if what you did wrong to hurt someone never occurred at all.

This is also why when you change one thing about yourself that is a real change you have changed yourself for all time. The older person no longer exists and if you were to leave this universe in the current condition it would be as if that older person never existed at all.

Makes sense, but if we changed something about ourself, how is that possible in one moment in time? That would imply that there's a past and present. I'll choose to ignore it for now, no headaches today. :wacko:

*EDIT* - okay, I lied; still thinking about it. I get what you're saying. If you change, the old you ceases to exist; and it's as if he/she never existed at all.

I've also been playing around with the idea that maybe all past is made up in our head, all our memories. All of it, 10 years ago, or 2 seconds ago. In this out there theory, it really is only one moment, and the feeling of moving forward and looking back is an illusion created by our brain. And the future will never happen, another illusion. Ok, now I'm serious, no more today, I feel a headache coming on...

Edited by Jerry Only