Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Resident Evil

BurnSide

That's mostly true. But I still find the story arc of the films to be far more entertaining than the current story of the games. They both have one thing in common: they're both so totally disconnected from what originally made the series great that it doesn't really matter what they do anymore. I just think it's easier for the movies to get away with it since, being game-movies and all, they don't have much to prove in the first place.

And L4D2 is pretty sweet from what little there is to do in the demo.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• Shakezulah

• Neo2005

• ChrisC098

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a fan of the main series of games I also consider code veronica to be a part of the regular series, it was originally going to be called number 4. I love Resident Evil 4 but it doesn't have the same replay value of the previous games really I don't like all the babysitting you have to do with the the girl. That is why I haven't bought Resident Evil 5, maybe I'm just tired of the franchise

• 4 weeks later...

Hey did anybody watch Degeneration?

Jesus what a piece of crap. Still though, it was a nice cannon piece to add to the whole thing.

Far from being a piece of crap. It wasn't perfect but it was definitely enjoyable. I liked how it set up RE5 a bit.

Fair. The Tricell involvement was interesting. It did take place before 5 right?

I just found it too be so silly. All of the action consisted of one character standing in a spot just waiting for a zombie to slowly get to them and bite them before another character saves them in the nick of time. The boss fight was cool. Too much dialogue.

Yeah, the middle was definitely slow with more dialogue than needed, but the end made up for it. Pretty sure it takes place before 5, too.

I found that they really hammed up the classic Resident Evil in-game videos. You know like, there's MOVIE realism CG like Final Fantasy (7/spirits), Beowulf, Avatar etc. Then there's video game realism. RE5 is awesome, but it still looks like a videogame right. Wouldn't pass for a movie. They captured the sluggish stupidness of the firt three games quite nicely, waiting for ages in horror before shooting only to find it's too late, or Claire being hapless and scared with, oh really, ANOTHER young girl? haha.

It was what it was, a DVD of RE cutscenes. Some good some bad yanno.

Here's the trailer for the first RE5 DLC, Lost In Nightmares.

http://www.giantbomb.com/resident-evil-5s-dlc-episode-1-lost-in-nightmares/17-1700/

I honestly have no desire to go back and play RE5 any time soon, but this looks pretty good and I'll most likely end up getting it.

No matter where I hear Moonlight Sonata I always think of the long dark hallways of the Spencer Mansion.

• 2 weeks later...

So Lost in Nightmares RE5 is DLC?

That's a HUGE FREAKING RELIEF. I thought they were just gonna release another RE4.5.

• 2 months later...

So, Lost in Nightmares came out today. I just finished downloading it. It's only supposed to be about an hour long, but it's only 5 bucks, and I heard it's really awesome while it lasts. I'll play it sometime later today and post my thoughts when I finish it.

Is there a master of locks picking here?

Resident evil was great for crappy lines.

Edited by chaoszerg

Haha, no bad lines like that. But the first thing that happens is Jill picks the lock on the front door of the mansion.

I managed to finish Lost in Nightmares in 1 hour and 13 minutes, but man, it was cool! Very nostalgic to the original RE, so much to the point that it became blatant fan service, but I was not complaining. The original "itchy tasty" journal entry is actually in there to be read! There's even a secret way to change the camera view so it's in static positions. I didn't do this when I played, but I think it's done by searching a locked door several times (ooh, Resident Evil...) The mansion layout is pretty much the same as the original mansion. The first half of LiN consists of light puzzle solving, item collecting, exploration, and backtracking, which considering where the franchise has gone lately, feels really fresh. There are maybe 10 enemies in the entire thing, including the fight with Wesker at the end. But there are some really intense moments. It was great to see the game go back to it's survival horror roots, though it was all too brief. If only RE5 was like this...

This really needs to be the direction that Capcom takes RE6. I hope they realize that fans don't want to see the series keep becoming the video game equivalent of a summer Hollywood blockbuster action flick.

• 1 month later...

Haha, no bad lines like that. But the first thing that happens is Jill picks the lock on the front door of the mansion.

I managed to finish Lost in Nightmares in 1 hour and 13 minutes, but man, it was cool! Very nostalgic to the original RE, so much to the point that it became blatant fan service, but I was not complaining. The original "itchy tasty" journal entry is actually in there to be read! There's even a secret way to change the camera view so it's in static positions. I didn't do this when I played, but I think it's done by searching a locked door several times (ooh, Resident Evil...) The mansion layout is pretty much the same as the original mansion. The first half of LiN consists of light puzzle solving, item collecting, exploration, and backtracking, which considering where the franchise has gone lately, feels really fresh. There are maybe 10 enemies in the entire thing, including the fight with Wesker at the end. But there are some really intense moments. It was great to see the game go back to it's survival horror roots, though it was all too brief. If only RE5 was like this...

This really needs to be the direction that Capcom takes RE6. I hope they realize that fans don't want to see the series keep becoming the video game equivalent of a summer Hollywood blockbuster action flick.

Thanks for that, I think I'll give it a go when I get around to completing some of the other games that I have. Can the expansion be played co-operatively.

What do we think of the trailer for the new movie

http://www.filmjunk.com/2010/04/03/resident-evil-afterlife-trailer/

In case they didn't mention, it's in 3d. :lol:

Thanks for that, I think I'll give it a go when I get around to completing some of the other games that I have. Can the expansion be played co-operatively.

http://www.filmjunk....erlife-trailer/

Woo....I has goosebumps after watching that trailer...Not too excited about it being in 3D but it still looks like a good ass-kickin' film....Can't wait to see it! And, is it just me, or does Milla Jovovich look more gorgeous than before? :wub:

I dig Resident Evil 5, the story is silly but I find it very fun to play, I'm actually replaying my third time to find all the emblems. I was wondering if it's possible to kill the crocodiles?

I'm really looking forward to the new film. It should be good with Anderson actually directing again. Hopefully the 3D is used to better effect than what the trailer shows. It would be shame to see the same tech that fueled Avatar be wasted on gimmicky shots, not that those don't look cool, however. I like the trailer, though. The Outsider...perfect song for it.

I dig Resident Evil 5, the story is silly but I find it very fun to play, I'm actually replaying my third time to find all the emblems. I was wondering if it's possible to kill the crocodiles?

What's up, man? It's been awhile. Anyway, I believe it is possible to kill the crocs. Don't quote me on that, though. It's been a real long time since I've played the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know what weapons are unlockable in RE 4 for the PS2?

Far from being a piece of crap. It wasn't perfect but it was definitely enjoyable. I liked how it set up RE5 a bit.

Definately one of the better movies. Very cool how they set up for tricell's involvement, though i still don't get the signifigance of collecting G's claw... :huh:

• 2 months later...

NICE. I only had to go back 3 pages to find my favourite ever thread. :lol: Long live Resident Evil!!!

Not much news I know of on the RE front. I think there's a new one coming out for PSP, which is lame, but that's about it.

Adored all the download content for RE5. Will give my review of Lost In Nightmares after I quote Shake here. The other one was okay. Costumes were SIIICK. Not that I bothered with mercenaries all over again just to use Rebecca or Barry or Excella etc, but Chris' Heavy Metal costume (which looks like a Marine from Aliens!) and Shivas fairytale/Secretary (mm) costumes were cool.

Dude, I ****ing LOVED Lost In Nightmares!! The whole thing felt like a beautiful homage to the original Resident Evil. I didn't like the enemies, they were stupid and all exactly the same which took me out of it quite a bit. I wish they threw in some slow lame zombies for the same of it. That would have been great. I did the camera angle trick. It made things a little awkward but it was still very nostalgic. They even put in the door loading screens when you change the cameras!

It was like they took every memorable room from the original mansion and bunched them all together with a few fond moments. Watching Jill play the Moonlight Sonata again was like coming home. I loved it so much I even wrote a blog entry about it.

http://crumpledpage.wordpress.com/2010/07/15/moonlight-sonata/

Now I want them to remake RE1 all over again!

I think it looks absolutely ridiculous and hugely entertaining, just like the rest of the movies. I can't ****ing wait to go see it. :D Apparently it's filmed with the same 3D technology as Avatar, not the tacked on hooky **** from Clash Titans/Alice Wonderland. Insane! Resident Evil in IMAX!! It's clear they took a LOT from Resident Evil 5. The zombies are Ganados now. Or Majini or whatever. The executioner is in there, and even Wesker throwing his glasses at Alice (who is behind the camera apparently). So Many shots are gonna look so good in 3D.

The best part? Some of my nerd friends and I are so excited, we're going to COSPLAY FOR THE OPENING NIGHT!!!!!

Chris, obviously. ;)

Cosplay as Chris? Have fun making your arms as big as tree trunks! Maybe punching a few boulders here and there will help...haha.

I am greatly looking forward to the new movie. I'm readying myself for a RE marathon next month where I will replay all the games and watch the films leading up to the release of Aferlife...something I've never really done. At least I have an excuse to play all those old games again. I was looking for a good cheap copy of the original RE for PS1 but I haven't found one yet.

In slightly actual RE news, I've been hearing rumors from several different places that RE6 MIGHT be going back to the series' survival horror roots. But that's all they are...rumors. I also read an article yesterday that stated Capcom are cutting the development time of all their major titles (which definitely includes the RE games) from about 3to 4 years to only 1 to 2. That sure doesn't sit well with me, since most of their major titles are pretty quality. I guess we'll be seeing RE6 sooner rather than later. I predict an announcement at or even a little before E3 2011.

Cosplay as Chris? Have fun making your arms as big as tree trunks! Maybe punching a few boulders here and there will help...haha.

hahaha. ORIGINAL Chris. ;) There's no way I can beef up for that.

I am greatly looking forward to the new movie. I'm readying myself for a RE marathon next month where I will replay all the games and watch the films leading up to the release of Aferlife...something I've never really done. At least I have an excuse to play all those old games again. I was looking for a good cheap copy of the original RE for PS1 but I haven't found one yet.

You don't have a PS3 eh? You can buy RE1-3 on the PS network for 5-10 bucks. Friggin sweet. I was playing through the original recently. Man that took me back.

In slightly actual RE news, I've been hearing rumors from several different places that RE6 MIGHT be going back to the series' survival horror roots. But that's all they are...rumors. I also read an article yesterday that stated Capcom are cutting the development time of all their major titles (which definitely includes the RE games) from about 3to 4 years to only 1 to 2. That sure doesn't sit well with me, since most of their major titles are pretty quality. I guess we'll be seeing RE6 sooner rather than later. I predict an announcement at or even a little before E3 2011.

I didn't know they were making a 6. I figured the main story was finished up and they were just gonna move on. RE5 was great and all.. but it was practically a clone of RE4 and there's no way I wanna do that AGAIN, especially on current gen. It simply wont be a different enough experience. So they're going to have to change things up dramatically. Leave the old crew alone and start from scratch with a new survival horror, without the tank controls (otherwise the target audience is severely limited).

I didn't play Darkside Chronicles, yet, but there's an example of where they tried to do something different with the series (although technically doing shoddy remakes in first person perspective).

I did hear they were working on a RE game for PSP, which I couldn't care less about.

If you see an info, post it up for sure!

I'm sure they could find a way to continue to current story arc if they really wanted to. I wasn't really satisfied with the ending of 5 anyway. A new group of characters would be really interesting, but I think the chances of that happening are pretty slim. And yeah, Capcom would be out of their minds to go back to the tank-control scheme. I don't think it would be too hard to use the current control style, or at least something similar, and still make an old school-style survival horror game that's actually scary. Of course, I also want the incredibly ridiculous and contrived puzzles that are a staple of the genre. The last 2 games were severely lacking in that department. RE5 had ONE friggin' puzzle in the entire game.

And while RE6 hasn't been officially announced yet, Capcom hasn't said a word about them NOT doing it, and several different sources have alluded to them working on it, so I think it would be a safe bet to say RE6 is definitely happening.

You don't have a PS3 eh? You can buy RE1-3 on the PS network for 5-10 bucks. Friggin sweet. I was playing through the original recently. Man that took me back.

Nah, I don't have one. I'd love to buy one, and while money isn't really an issue, I simply don't have the time for even more gaming, nor the space to put it and the games in. I may still buy one anyway since they are reasonably cheap these days, but not for awhile.

Edited by Shakezulah

I just thought of this today. The main story starts in a mansion and ends... in a volcano...in Africa. They aren't even trying anymore.