Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Resident Evil

BurnSide

Got back from seeing Afterlife 3D tonight. Not too sure how I feel about it yet (especially since my dumbass friends were talking throughout the entire thing and I was too distracted by telling them to shut the hell up), but my initial view of the movie is that it is the weakest in the series so far. Still, it was a fun movie, but I had enough issues with it to enjoy it a bit less than the others. For one, there was WAY too much slo-mo in the action scenes. Sure, a lot of the shots were pretty cool, but it ruined the flow and pacing of the action occasionally, and felt too gimmicky with the 3D. It's like the screenplay was written entirely around the 3D concept (and I wouldn't be surprised if it was). They also just tossed a bunch of stuff from RE5 in there with no real explanation, which maybe bugged me more than it should've. There were some kind of cringe-worthy moments when it came to acting...and not in the fun way like in the other films. There were, however, some good one-liners in there.

My biggest issue with the movie comes from it feeling way too short. It's actually about just as long as the others, but it feels like it's over in a flash, which is strange, considering that it's not really paced quickly in the middle. When the ending came, I was almost expecting it to go on for another 20 or 30 minutes. It did leave it open for the next film, of course. It was pretty much a variant of the ending shot from Extinction. Paul Anderson really loves his pull-away closing shots... There wasn't enough of Chris, and from what I understand, there were several of his scenes cut out. Speaking of characters, the side characters weren't as good or memorable as in the others, resulting in a less fun experience. Kim Coates was pretty funny, though.

I dunno....I want to chalk my disappointment with the movie to me simply being p***ed and annoyed by having the experience ruined by my friends. I missed a lot of the dialogue because of their talking, thus the film possibly seeming shorter than it was. It's definitely something I need to see again for it to grow on me. I haven't felt like that about a movie since Gamer, which I ended up really liking the second time I saw it, so who knows...

I do think I'll still feel that it's the weakest out of all four, though. It was enjoyable, but just seemed less fun than the others. I think this movie continues to prove that Anderson is a fine director but a poor writer. I hope the next film isn't in 3D just so it feels more original and less forced.

Edited by Shakezulah

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• Shakezulah

• Neo2005

• ChrisC098

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got back from seeing Afterlife 3D tonight. Not too sure how I feel about it yet (especially since my dumbass friends were talking throughout the entire thing and I was too distracted by telling them to shut the hell up), but my initial view of the movie is that it is the weakest in the series so far. Still, it was a fun movie, but I had enough issues with it to enjoy it a bit less than the others. For one, there was WAY too much slo-mo in the action scenes. Sure, a lot of the shots were pretty cool, but it ruined the flow and pacing of the action occasionally, and felt too gimmicky with the 3D. It's like the screenplay was written entirely around the 3D concept (and I wouldn't be surprised if it was). They also just tossed a bunch of stuff from RE5 in there with no real explanation, which maybe bugged me more than it should've. There were some kind of cringe-worthy moments when it came to acting...and not in the fun way like in the other films. There were, however, some good one-liners in there.

My biggest issue with the movie comes from it feeling way too short. It's actually about just as long as the others, but it feels like it's over in a flash, which is strange, considering that it's not really paced quickly in the middle. When the ending came, I was almost expecting it to go on for another 20 or 30 minutes. It did leave it open for the next film, of course. It was pretty much a variant of the ending shot from Extinction. Paul Anderson really loves his pull-away closing shots... There wasn't enough of Chris, and from what I understand, there were several of his scenes cut out. Speaking of characters, the side characters weren't as good or memorable as in the others, resulting in a less fun experience. Kim Coates was pretty funny, though.

I dunno....I want to chalk my disappointment with the movie to me simply being p***ed and annoyed by having the experience ruined by my friends. I missed a lot of the dialogue because of their talking, thus the film possibly seeming shorter than it was. It's definitely something I need to see again for it to grow on me. I haven't felt like that about a movie since Gamer, which I ended up really liking the second time I saw it, so who knows...

I do think I'll still feel that it's the weakest out of all four, though. It was enjoyable, but just seemed less fun than the others. I think this movie continues to prove that Anderson is a fine director but a poor writer. I hope the next film isn't in 3D just so it feels more original and less forced.

I just saw the newest movie,I want my money back.This games movies have never been what a normal person would call "good" but the newest movie makes the older films look like they were directed by Spielberg.

• 1 month later...

This thread is still going huh?

That's awesome. Lost in Nightmares was awesome.

Jill being announced for MvC3 is awesome.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was thinking the saaaaaame thing :rolleyes:

Come on man don't necro post because now O have to quote myself