Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nome, Alaska - Fact or Fiction?

Senator Palpatine

The funny part is what Sara Palin thinks ! Is that a trick question?

We all know what she thinks ! "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" nuttin.

that cruddy film wasted 2 hours of my life!!!!

Not very positive!

;)

Anyone else, is it a waste of time, or worth the watch? Is it a bit drawn out, much action????

Not very positive!

;)

Anyone else, is it a waste of time, or worth the watch? Is it a bit drawn out, much action????

I was not a huge fan of the film but I do recommend watching it. It's one of those things you've just got to see. It's not something that's easy to describe. I know some people who are still afraid of that movie and refuse to watch it again, knowing it's not real. I don't find it scary but how cool it would be if it was real. I also can't imagine if it were why these occurances weren't all over the news....we'd finally have some evidence of the ETH.

I also think it in it's own sneaky way, includes the ancient alient theory. Does anyone agree with me here?

Edited by arenee

I was not a huge fan of the film but I do recommend watching it. It's one of those things you've just got to see. It's not something that's easy to describe. I know some people who are still afraid of that movie and refuse to watch it again, knowing it's not real. I don't find it scary but how cool it would be if it was real. I also can't imagine if it were why these occurances weren't all over the news....we'd finally have some evidence of the ETH.

I also think it in it's own sneaky way, includes the ancient alient theory. Does anyone agree with me here?

It certainly touches on the ancient ET theory with the whole Sumerian developments.. I would also recommend it as a good horror watch. I'm surprised people thought it was real after viewing it. I think it becomes pretty obvious that it's fake during the family hostage scene.

Anyone wanna go there?

And by "there", I mean it's real and the government hid it until the movie came out. :alien:

Edited by Legaia

Ahh a sneaky Sumarian plot huh! I am going to get this this weekend, do not be such a stranger arenee! We miss you! You must be a Mum by now?

Ahh a sneaky Sumarian plot huh! I am going to get this this weekend, do not be such a stranger arenee! We miss you! You must be a Mum by now?

Indeed I am a "mum!" She's beautiful. I sent you a PM! Let us know what you think of the movie. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

One word of advise ,WHen in Nome dont eat the Whale blubber ! ITs nasty ! Its been said that it will make you see things !

Having read through this whole thread It's amazing, & indeed an indiction as to how believers have difficulty in separating fact from fiction.

The original .o.p. asks if this film is based on real events, several people explain with links that it isn't & even after being given the proof that this is a fictional account people stil come on here and say things like 'well i read somewhere that this was true'.........no doubt this is how the whole Roswell thing started.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

By now I guess most people are aware of the upcoming movie "The Fourth Kind", which is supposedly based on true accounts.

Apparently, there is a lot of disappearings in Nome, more than in many other places.

Is there a real psychologist, called Dr. Abigail Tyler? Are there any interesting cases from Nome?

Interestingly enough, the title is taken from Jacques Vallee's classification of close encounters, and as many probably know, Vallee is "opposed" to the theory of aliens from other planets...

To clarify, when movies say "based on real events" or some such, I am aware that they can be based on one sentence to a whole history, and that it is always unclear exactly what the "real events" are. That they pixled the face of the supposedly real psychologist is most likely another trick to make the movie more appealing. I'm not out to debate the movie, just what facts it is based on (if any).

Never heard of it.

I kinda like some of these "docu hand held" films.

Check out Chronicle (dont IMDB it - just watch it)

It kicked butt. :tsu:

omg was Chronicle real i mean it looked liek it was sincei t was done iwth home cameras!! ;)

I read prior to the movie being released that it was loosely based on events that supposedly happened, but from the posts here who really knows...

Watched it last night,it was that good I fell asleep half way thru and missed the end,did she get eaten ? ,probably ended up in a nut house,wont watch it again..

omg was Chronicle real i mean it looked liek it was sincei t was done iwth home cameras!! ;)

I read prior to the movie being released that it was loosely based on events that supposedly happened, but from the posts here who really knows...

I rest my case. (see my earlier post)

Watched it last night,it was that good I fell asleep half way thru and missed the end,did she get eaten ? ,probably ended up in a nut house,wont watch it again..

What movie did you see.... Did who, get what?! :unsure2:

Edited by Hazzard

YEah ? Im really confused now ! I thought that Darth Vader was really The secret son of that Big Fat guy ! and that Luke just wasnt any good at anything other than changing the Oil on speedesters!

I find it kinda wierd that no one has brought this up yet. After watching the movie when it first came out, I was very curious to see if it was real or not. The disappearences and reports from my understanding were real, but I remember that they determind the cause to be due to contaminated drinking water. Some sort of chemical leaked in from the mountains... or something, I cant remeber what chemical it was(i keep thinking arsenic but I KNOW that has to be wrong, but something along that line...) the report I read was on some sort of governemt water testing site (I got there from a link on someones webpage who did a investigation into NOME and they found that water test site)and there ws no mention of the moive or sorts, just that they tested the water and found traces of _____ and symptoms of ____ poisoning causes the symptoms that the people of NOME reported. IE: hallucinations and delirium ect. I havent looked for the page but ill try to find it.

• 4 months later...

By now I guess most people are aware of the upcoming movie "The Fourth Kind", which is supposedly based on true accounts.

Apparently, there is a lot of disappearings in Nome, more than in many other places.

Is there a real psychologist, called Dr. Abigail Tyler? Are there any interesting cases from Nome?

Interestingly enough, the title is taken from Jacques Vallee's classification of close encounters, and as many probably know, Vallee is "opposed" to the theory of aliens from other planets...

To clarify, when movies say "based on real events" or some such, I am aware that they can be based on one sentence to a whole history, and that it is always unclear exactly what the "real events" are. That they pixled the face of the supposedly real psychologist is most likely another trick to make the movie more appealing. I'm not out to debate the movie, just what facts it is based on (if any).

true events

http://www.adn.com/2005/11/13/43046/unsolved-cases-in-nome-attract.html

dr abigail works in canada, her little girl was never found, sez les skelhorn

If it's "based on true events" then it's most likely based to the same scale Texas Chainsaw Massacre was... The story had inspiration from the Ed Gein case.. everything about the movie however, was completely fictional.

It's a game these directors and writers play to get people to go see their movies. The person writing them is "inspired" by a true event, and writes a completely fictional story, and they get to tag it as "based on true events"

I stopped paying attention to the whole "true events" thing a long time ago.. its usually BS...

I agree with this

and tell me if im wrong but dont A LOT of people come up missing in Alaska and never found, I mean it is a pretty barren place

• 5 months later...

The footage is false. Dr. Abbey is a fictional character. You can find the actress in IMDb. These incidents did not occur. It takes some research and digging... it is the same type of production as the Blair Witch Project. All Hollywood. Just for entertainment. Fake documentary. Sorry.