Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shadow People

Frankie Jr

I have seen Shadow People my entire life. I always see them when I am at work. I have never seen them at home, or in public places. The figure is wearing a black robe with a hood. I have never seen the beings eyes or facial features. I catch them out of the corner of my eye.

Have you felt an emotional/physical reaction to them Frankie?

Personally (both for myself and others I have known) there is a feeling of fear and aversion and a powerful fight or flight response. They have an aura which is powerful and I believe they are not human, hence the instinctive reaction we have to them.

There are theories; they are angelic or demonic (not the judeo-christian kind necessarily but entities of pure spirit) and go so cloaked so as to not be recognised as such. They could also be aliens, pandimensional beings or beings from another nearby dimension; which has been brought closer to ours by exponentially increasing electromagnetic emmissions here (cell phones, wifi etc). I don't truly know but I have encountered them and know that whatever they are, they are not human.

I also believe they are not harmfu;, despite their aura and our reaction to that. One time I encountered one (and my wife sensed it too) I felt the urge to communicate with it and it seemed like it wanted me to communicate with it...but what they are? I don't know

Have you felt an emotional/physical reaction to them Frankie? No, I just want to get far away from them. They scare me to death.

Personally (both for myself and others I have known) there is a feeling of fear and aversion and a powerful fight or flight response. They have an aura which is powerful and I believe they are not human, hence the instinctive reaction we have to them.When I see them out of the corner of my eye, they are walking rather slowly & disappear into thin air. I work in a warehouse, and I see them inbetween the steel racks holding boxes, crates, etc. No sooner then they come, they go. But they make a point of it to catch my eye.

There are theories; they are angelic or demonic (not the judeo-christian kind necessarily but entities of pure spirit) and go so cloaked so as to not be recognised as such. They could also be aliens, pandimensional beings or beings from another nearby dimension; which has been brought closer to ours by exponentially increasing electromagnetic emmissions here (cell phones, wifi etc). I don't truly know but I have encountered them and know that whatever they are, they are not human.I agree with you - they are not human or of this dimension.

I also believe they are not harmfu;, despite their aura and our reaction to that. One time I encountered one (and my wife sensed it too) I felt the urge to communicate with it and it seemed like it wanted me to communicate with it...but what they are? I don't knowThe ones I have seen don't want communication with me. I think they sense my fear of them.

or it could be mix of apophenia (like pareidolia) and the fact you now expect to see them thus you do (sorry i can't remember the scientific name) remember your far peripheral vision is the weakest part of your sight

but this isn't as interesting as an emotion eating demon

• Like 1

or it could be mix of apophenia (like pareidolia) and the fact you now expect to see them thus you do (sorry i can't remember the scientific name) remember your far peripheral vision is the weakest part of your sight

but this isn't as interesting as an emotion eating demon

When I was young, I would eguess about 6-7 yo, I remember seeing the shadow people in my classroom, in ccd classes, and even at the grocery store. I grew up in a very disfunctional home. And my father is mentally ill. So, I am not sure if that has anything to due with this.

Could you draw what you think they look like? I think it would help.

So far, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to think about it. If you say that you only saw "them" but the corner of your eye, them it could simply just be an illusion (like Spend said). That would be logic, but I know, by experience, that it's not because something is logic that it is true. I'd like more details of your stories (and other people's as well), so we can really find what is really happening.

So far, I'd say that there's a 70% chance it's just an illusion, 25% chance it is "shadow people", and 5% chance it has anything to do with your father's mental illness (that you could have inherit).

I see them wearing all black. They appear like the grim reaper, but don't have a walking stick.

I think that my father's mental illness makes him, his family, and his home vulnerable to the paranormal. My siblings and I all have been in therapy, but now know that what we have seen is not from this world.

This may be rude but i myself have seen these figures, but i couldnt see them until i died when i was little. They dont look like the normal things my family members were use to seeing. So i have to ask did you ever die? Do they ever look at you when they see that you notice them? Are they fallowing a person around?

I have seen a version of shadow people, but not in human forms. They were like orby blotches and they flew by really fast and disappear through the wall/ceiling. In fact that's how I came across this site (months ago). I was looking for people who had a similar experience to mine... And voila here I am now.

I recommend that you look at the website of Rosemary Ellen Guiley. She has a website with some info. I'm not sure if it's okay to post links so google Rosemary Ellen Guiley Shadow People.

I have not seen them recently. The last time I saw one was about a year ago.

I was in my friends basement with my friend and my sister and we were all hanging out and I saw one fly by and disappear through the wall. I yelled "WHOAH!" I thought I was the only one to see it, but my sister saw it too.

I came to the conclusion that we only ever saw these "shadow people" around negative people because that is what they are drawn too. I am no longer friends with the above friend I mentioned.

I saw them three times. Two times it was at that friends house (in her basement and in her bedroom) and one time it was in my room. All times they disappeared through the wall quickly.

Edited by ShotofPoison

I have seen things for years. When I was a child I used to see goblins when I was trying to go to sleep and sometimes they were the subject of horrible nightmares. When I was a teen I had what they call a full blown schitzophrenic break. I saw many things that I will not go into here. I suffer from insomnia as well and in my experience the vision or delusion whichever you wish to believe gets more prevalent due to sleep deprivation. I have noticed shadow people many times on the third day of such sleep deprivation. I usually just see figures on the side of the street or couples meandering about. I can't say I've ever seen a hooded cloaked figure but most of the time I ignore the shadow people thinking the phenomena could be my sensory cortex replaying old data, or alternately ghosts of purgatory tied to this realm for some reason. Either way its a phenomena that I generally do not pay too much heed. They are by and large quite a bit more benign than some of my scarier nightmares.

Frankie, I have also had a handfull of experiences seeing 'shadow people'. I definitely believe that they are demons and I think that there are things that people do to draw there attention. I say this because when I was a kid I used to listen to talk radio to put me to sleep, and I soon started listening to the Art Bell program. As a kid a lot of the stuff they talked about terrified me but I also began to become more and more interested in that stuff. Pretty soon I started waking up in the middle of the night feeling very uneasy, like there was something in the bedroom watching me. Also, I used to wake up at exactly 3am, on the dot. This was before I ever heard that other people had the same experience. But soon after that I woke up one night and there was a silohuette of a man standing at the end of my bed. At first I thought it was just a shadow from outside, but then it moved, as to turn away from me and I just freaked out. I turned the light on and nothing was there.

I also used to see them very often when I came home from school and as I entered the pantry there was a black shadow of a man (he looked like he was wearing a suit) standing at the bottom of the stairs. At first I discounted it as my imagination but it started happening a lot and pretty soon I would just not go into my own house after school, I'd just wait outside until my parents got home.

I've had one other experience since then and I am a definite believer in shadow people. But I have noted that every time I've seen one it is accomanied by strong temptation to do bad things. I think that when they've appeared to me it was to try and intimidate me and cause me to be afraid of them, but I am not afraid of them.

Just thought I'd share my thought on the subject.

I have no idea what the hell they are. I rememeber years back a girl I was talking to would tell me she would see these, and they would emerge from her closet and get on top of her. I disregarded this as a hallucination until it happened to me.

I didnt start seeing these things until I was left alone while my ex was away, and these visits would occur during my sleep. I would be sleeping peaceful, and then get a dreadful feeling and feel something heavy on my, I was paralyzed with no ability to speak or move, it took a few moment to ioen my eyes and see a black looking ord.

Every so often it still occurs. I hate to say this, but I am kind of used to them in an uncomfortable way.

PS... for the above post, its funny how you mentioned things occurred around 3 am.

I have a few war stories up my sleeve regarding that time..

Edited by DeLira73

I have no idea what the hell they are. I rememeber years back a girl I was talking to would tell me she would see these, and they would emerge from her closet and get on top of her. I disregarded this as a hallucination until it happened to me.

I didnt start seeing these things until I was left alone while my ex was away, and these visits would occur during my sleep. I would be sleeping peaceful, and then get a dreadful feeling and feel something heavy on my, I was paralyzed with no ability to speak or move, it took a few moment to ioen my eyes and see a black looking ord.

Every so often it still occurs. I hate to say this, but I am kind of used to them in an uncomfortable way.

PS... for the above post, its funny how you mentioned things occurred around 3 am.

I have a few war stories up my sleeve regarding that time..

You know, your story is pretty much a straight-out-of-the-textbook example of sleep paralysis. Sleep paralysis is an occurrence during REM sleep. During REM sleep, the mind purposefully prevents the body from moving, so you don't mimic the movements and actions of your dreams. Occasionally it's possible to go straight from this state to full consciousness, which leaves the afflicted person wide awake, but with no control of their body at all. Hallucinations, called hypnagogic hallucinations ('Succubi,' demonic creatures, the 'Old Hag', shadow people, and smoky orbs,) are very common during this, often standing over the person or sitting or laying on top of them, whispering to them in such a way that they can't be understood, and preventing them from breathing and causing a hard panic that usually breaks the hallucination and the paralysis.

I have a bad habit of waking around that time with heartburn or allergies. Or a riniging in the ears that will not cease for a variable span of time. I am usually too preoccupied by whatever malady is tormenting me to notice any visages though from time to time I note a visual distortion or two. I usually chalk it up to the malady, sleeplessness,and my over active imagination and do my best to ignore it and get to sleep. This doesn't always mean that I don't think it is something but rather dismissing it is a rational option I like to make use of now and again. As if belief in the thing could give it power and by rationalizing it away I avoid giving it sustenence. I try to take subconcious thought patterns on a case by case basis. Something testing me in a malignant fashion might be the hand of the devine gauging my reaction or helping me to grow stronger when faced with such tests, such as an irrational sense of anger, or sadness, gripping fear or the like. So best to keep tact and ethics in play whenever I can muster the will.

There is a working theory that apparitions are telepathic hallucinations produced by the person whose apparition is experienced and the person experiencing the apparition. If this is correct, might it be that some experiences of shadow people might be the first stage in the visual apparitional production before the apparition takes shape? Apparitions often seem to occupy space from the perspective of the person witnessing the apparition. Perhaps, before the image forms, the percipient actually blacks that area out of their normal perception to make way for the new image. If this process is interrupted for whatever reason, you would wind up with something that would indeed resemble a shadow person as often described. Notably this suggests that may be nothing inherently "negative" in such phenomena, simply something that failed to manifest.

This of course is only meaningful if more conventional visual perception errors have already been successfully ruled out.

There is a working theory that apparitions are telepathic hallucinations produced by the person whose apparition is experienced and the person experiencing the apparition. If this is correct, might it be that some experiences of shadow people might be the first stage in the visual apparitional production before the apparition takes shape? Apparitions often seem to occupy space from the perspective of the person witnessing the apparition. Perhaps, before the image forms, the percipient actually blacks that area out of their normal perception to make way for the new image. If this process is interrupted for whatever reason, you would wind up with something that would indeed resemble a shadow person as often described. Notably this suggests that may be nothing inherently "negative" in such phenomena, simply something that failed to manifest.

This of course is only meaningful if more conventional visual perception errors have already been successfully ruled out.

while this is an excellent explaination and I like your explainations here, welcome your contributions and enjoy reading them, what about when two or more people experience the same sensations and visions? One case I mentioned further up is that my wife and I encountered the same manifestation, had the same emotional response to it and, aside from small differences, had the exact same impressions of it......I'm not saying your explaination is not correct, but I'm genuinely curious about what you think on this matter?

what about when two or more people experience the same sensations and visions? One case I mentioned further up is that my wife and I encountered the same manifestation, had the same emotional response to it and, aside from small differences, had the exact same impressions of it.....

I realize this wasn't addressed to me, but I have had an idea on this for a while. For lack of a better term, I have been referring to my idea as "psychic resonance", where basically one person experiences/perceives something, and the other person, while maybe not initially having this sighting, is influenced and made to see the same thing by some as-yet-unguessed-at facility of the person they're with, some sort of psychic reverberation basically "reflected" or "beamed" to them like a satellite signal that anybody can pic up with the right "equipment", so basically one person's perceptions can be projected, with a proper initial stimulus.

You know, your story is pretty much a straight-out-of-the-textbook example of sleep paralysis. Sleep paralysis is an occurrence during REM sleep. During REM sleep, the mind purposefully prevents the body from moving, so you don't mimic the movements and actions of your dreams. Occasionally it's possible to go straight from this state to full consciousness, which leaves the afflicted person wide awake, but with no control of their body at all. Hallucinations, called hypnagogic hallucinations ('Succubi,' demonic creatures, the 'Old Hag', shadow people, and smoky orbs,) are very common during this, often standing over the person or sitting or laying on top of them, whispering to them in such a way that they can't be understood, and preventing them from breathing and causing a hard panic that usually breaks the hallucination and the paralysis.

I am aware of sleep paralysis, but this is to a higher degree, I am one who experiences bouts of sleep paralysis, which bring no dreadful emotions, and the coldness I feel. These strange orbs I have seen when fully awake, but they come more in the night.

Normally in a period of sleep paralysis, I can talk my way through it, no fear associated, since these come a semi frequently. Sleep paralysis is more of an annoyance.

I realize this wasn't addressed to me, but I have had an idea on this for a while. For lack of a better term, I have been referring to my idea as "psychic resonance", where basically one person experiences/perceives something, and the other person, while maybe not initially having this sighting, is influenced and made to see the same thing by some as-yet-unguessed-at facility of the person they're with, some sort of psychic reverberation basically "reflected" or "beamed" to them like a satellite signal that anybody can pic up with the right "equipment", so basically one person's perceptions can be projected, with a proper initial stimulus.

This "phsychic resonance" seems to me to be a function of a collective subconcious of sorts, fascinating hypothesis.

Edited by maximaldecimal

actually,i think shadow people (a.k.a. free willed shadows :o )

might be people who got trapped between earth and another plain,not whole,but still there,thus,free moving shadow ppls!

thats what i think ^^

Since a few months i have been seeing shadow people as well. Aspecially at work. there is on room i am used to see shadows when i am al alone and there is a high feeling of pressure and fear in that room that makes you wanna get out of there . Bu more recently i have been able to hear it as well . Could this be a sign of it getting stronger ? And as for Delira73 it could be sleep paralazys but i have heard stories and seen on tv when a kid got beaten up by s shadow as he was getting ready to go to bed. And it was in a News report not some documentary that would fake things.

Since a few months i have been seeing shadow people as well. Aspecially at work. there is on room i am used to see shadows when i am al alone and there is a high feeling of pressure and fear in that room that makes you wanna get out of there . Bu more recently i have been able to hear it as well . Could this be a sign of it getting stronger ? And as for Delira73 it could be sleep paralazys but i have heard stories and seen on tv when a kid got beaten up by s shadow as he was getting ready to go to bed. And it was in a News report not some documentary that would fake things.

I saw one once in my home. He seemed fairly physical, since he pushed open my door (it was cracked) and made noise down the steps. My mom experienced the noise on the steps also, but I was the one who saw him in the corner of my room. I crapped bricks and he ran out of my room, through my living room and kitchen, down the stairs, and walked back up them again. Eh. It was creepy. I'm for the whole dimensional explanation, truthfully. They're definitely different from "ghosts".

EDIT: I was fully awake when this happened, in my bedroom. No hallucinations or sleep paralysis.

Edited by Asphodel

I didnt start seeing things until like 5 years ago, prior to that, my experience with sleep paralysis , I have dealt with all my life. Its just another mystery of my life I probably won't know until after death. :?

Edited by DeLira73