Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1radtech

How does one even to begin to translate anything from the Mayans? There is noone left to teach us their language....So how can the translation be correct if there isnt anyone who knows their language? Ive read alot on the Doomsday 2012 and that is the question I am always left with...The translations are just what a man thinks the symbols mean....

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1radtech

• Sir Wearer of Hats

• Cynical Sounds

• tinieblas

Whoever told you there is noone to teach the language is wrong FWIW.

How does one even to begin to translate anything from the Mayans? There is noone left to teach us their language....So how can the translation be correct if there isnt anyone who knows their language? Ive read alot on the Doomsday 2012 and that is the question I am always left with...The translations are just what a man thinks the symbols mean....

hopefully these links will help

written http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_script

spoken http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayan_languages

from the modern mayan people I teach english to these days (i work for a migrant charity here), the modern maya are quite close-mouthed when it comes to telling anyone outside of their culture about their culture. Perhaps they learned from the last time; when Cortéz and his friends saw their religion and rituals as evil and inhuman; or just used it as an excuse for killing 'em for their gold! So the old ways continue to a degree and the language can still be read by some, they just don't talk about it anymore. Covenient I know but hey ho; I'm not a prophet but I don't care ;)

at the end of the day, the end of days is not coming; the end of an age is. Change is the name of the game, not halting, simply a change of direction

It is only an internet and media fueled paranoia that has people talking about 2012 as 'Doomsday'.

2012 is when a rare cosmic event will occur within our galaxy that marked the end of a period of time to the Maya, which is why they chose to end their calendar here. The importance of this event to their culture has been lost to our modern, self-absorbed society. Which is where this end of days nonsense has spawned from.

I think that they just ran out of room on the wall when they were writing it. ^_^:yes: And didn't get to finish it .....

Edited by kelyna

It is only an internet and media fueled paranoia that has people talking about 2012 as 'Doomsday'.

2012 is when a rare cosmic event will occur within our galaxy that marked the end of a period of time to the Maya, which is why they chose to end their calendar here. The importance of this event to their culture has been lost to our modern, self-absorbed society. Which is where this end of days nonsense has spawned from.

What rare cosmic event would that be?

2012 is a hoax, or a mistake. Earth has been in the same alignment at least 40,000 times before without ever being destroyed, so why should this time be different? Mayan prophecies predicted the return of their God, to usher in a golden age of peace, and prosperity...at just the time the Spaniards arrived, to usher in a dark age of murder, rape, and plunder. That earlier Mayan prophecy-of the golden age-was wrong, so any prophecy of destruction in 2012 will probably be wrong,too. Do you recall the big "the world is going to end in 2000, when Christ returns" scare? How many times can people be conned? Anyone who thinks the world will end in 2012 should sign all of his/her assets over to me a week before the end. If he/she is right, he/she will lose nothing, and I will gain nothing. If I am right, I will be richer...and someone else will be poorer...perhaps poor enough to finally learn a lesson.

There is actually a really interesting documentary I just watched about that called "Deciphering the Mayan Code" (You can watch it online at Netflix). Really interesting in how they figured out the written language (And the Mayans had a pretty complex language).... I suggest watching it - it took quite awhile and numerous people - it wasn't just a quick process...