Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do You Think That The Yowie Really Exists?

NatureBoff

Do You Think That The Yowie Really Exists?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Think That The Yowie Really Exists?

Anyone heard the stories of American and Viet-kong soldiers talking about "Wild men" running around in the forests during the war?

Yeah I remember reading reports about what they called 'rock apes', I think they would apparently attack camps at night by throwing rocks.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• psyche101

• Night Walker

• NatureBoff

• Tia

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah I remember reading reports about what they called 'rock apes', I think they would apparently attack camps at night by throwing rocks.

So this is more evidence of a hairy ape man type cryptid then. Why are there so many disbelievers on this site??

So this is more evidence of a hairy ape man type cryptid then. Why are there so many disbelievers on this site??

Someone remembering reading something doesnt count towards being evidence. Except in your version of science.

LOL :D Bet the big creature crashing through was a roo or a cow. It might have even been a horse. I would say the deep rhythmic beating was frogs. They get quite a sound up when they manage to get into unison. Did you hear Koalas mating? That sound will send chills down your spine :D Funny how such a big scary sound comes from such a cute cuddly looking little thing.

What part where you in?

Started in Sydney and worked my way up to Cairns on various farmsteads. The strange noises of the 'monster' were near Coffs Harbour. Also got half scared to death one night when a 'huge angry crytid' jumped on the roof of the old caravan I was staying in. I could hear it trying to claw its way in through the roof! I had a small, old mag-light with low battery power in one hand and a pen knife in my other as my only defence. Can honestly say it was one of the scariest nights of my life. By early morning it had gone so I decided to make a run for it to the farm house of the family I was working for. I must have looked shook up and was tired from no sleep. When I explained what had happened they all laughed really hard and explained what possums were to me... :blush:

Common, they can find a new species of little 1inch frog in Amazon, but can't find a humanoid in Australia!?

Well it's not real evidence, just the recollection of a few soldiers in a stressed state in an unfamiliar land. They may well have been gibbons or another known species.

Here's a couple of links.

Rock apes 1

Rock apes 2

Rock apes 3

Started in Sydney and worked my way up to Cairns on various farmsteads. The strange noises of the 'monster' were near Coffs Harbour. Also got half scared to death one night when a 'huge angry crytid' jumped on the roof of the old caravan I was staying in. I could hear it trying to claw its way in through the roof! I had a small, old mag-light with low battery power in one hand and a pen knife in my other as my only defence. Can honestly say it was one of the scariest nights of my life. By early morning it had gone so I decided to make a run for it to the farm house of the family I was working for. I must have looked shook up and was tired from no sleep. When I explained what had happened they all laughed really hard and explained what possums were to me... :blush:

Did none of the locals warn you about Drop-Bears?

I have a solution for the twice size spider monkey finds. The Lachamps geomagnetic excursion of 40kya was caused by a dark matter comet impact on the south coast of Australia, creating the Nullarbor plain. The energy of the dark matter impact was enough to disrupt the mantle flow and therefore the Earth's magnetic field. This collapse of the geomagnetic field, evidenced by a spike in beryllium-10 in ice core data, would have let cosmic radiation erode the ozone layer. This would then have led to Earth's surface being awash with intense solar radiation.

The comet impact also had the energy to lift the entire lithosphere, creating a landbridge stretching from S.E. Asia, arcing across the Pacific and reaching Mexico. This allowed species to cross from one continent to another and would explain the 40,000 year old human footprints discovered by Professor Gonzalez. Cryptids from Central America could have made it in the opposite direction and found Australia!

post-94765-0-01939800-1324294333_thumb.j

That sounds like an awesome trip, I think you got to see some of the best of Oz by the sound of it. I am halfway along your travel route, on the Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise.

That is hilarious, I was reading your post thinking, "That's a possum" then I read your last line. Made me smile. Wait till you hear those Koala calls - spine tingling! - LINK

I have a solution for the twice size spider monkey finds. The Lachamps geomagnetic excursion of 40kya was caused by a dark matter comet impact on the south coast of Australia, creating the Nullarbor plain. The energy of the dark matter impact was enough to disrupt the mantle flow and therefore the Earth's magnetic field. This collapse of the geomagnetic field, evidenced by a spike in beryllium-10 in ice core data, would have let cosmic radiation erode the ozone layer. This would then have led to Earth's surface being awash with intense solar radiation.

The comet impact also had the energy to lift the entire lithosphere, creating a landbridge stretching from S.E. Asia, arcing across the Pacific and reaching Mexico. This allowed species to cross from one continent to another and would explain the 40,000 year old human footprints discovered by Professor Gonzalez. Cryptids from Central America could have made it in the opposite direction and found Australia!

The Nullabor Plain is the world's largest single piece of limestone. It is an ancient seabed, and this is proven by the large number of fossils that have been found there. The Mullamullang features are separated from the rest of the plain by 5 million years, there are in fact 5 separately dated formations that make up the Nullabor, making it a gradual formation over millions of years, not one event.

Dark matter comets? Really? Are you sure it was not some sort of anti matter Hyrax? :rolleyes:

Edited by psyche101

The Nullabor Plain is an ancient seabed made of limestone, it was definitely not formed by a comet.

Edit: Psyche beat me to it.

Edited by aussiecrypto

drop-bear_01.jpg

Argh!!! The true terror of the bush!

Fortunately, I use the technique (rumoured to have been handed down from ancient indigenous forbearers) of smearing Vegemite behind my ears to deter drop-bear attacks. It has never failed to work…

Argh!!! The true terror of the bush!

Fortunately, I use the technique (rumoured to have been handed down from ancient indigenous forbearers) of smearing Vegemite behind my ears to deter drop-bear attacks. It has never failed to work…

Ohh, I smear my whole body in the stuff, better to be safe than sorry (or a dropbears lunch) I would recommend anyone visiting Oz do the very same :innocent:

Gotta watch the hoop snakes too.

Kangaroo_Rider_by_Mavlop.jpg

The Nullabor Plain is an ancient seabed made of limestone, it was definitely not formed by a comet.

Edit: Psyche beat me to it.

There's a lot of meteorites found there. I'm dubious as to the dating of the plain; why are there no features on it? Where are the old river courses that would have flowed in some periods of the past?

There's a lot of meteorites found there. I'm dubious as to the dating of the plain; why are there no features on it? Where are the old river courses that would have flowed in some periods of the past?

I believe the number of meteorites found is due to the aridity of the plain, the meteorites are preserved just about forever. I'm no expert on these things, but I do know the plain is limestone, which means it was once under sea. I don't know about rivers but the plain is very flat, and limestone is porous so most rain would soak through into the ground, although there may have been some rivers in the past I don't know.

In any case I'm sure the limestone has been dated as many millions of years old.

I believe the number of meteorites found is due to the aridity of the plain, the meteorites are preserved just about forever. I'm no expert on these things, but I do know the plain is limestone, which means it was once under sea. I don't know about rivers but the plain is very flat, and limestone is porous so most rain would soak through into the ground, although there may have been some rivers in the past I don't know.

In any case I'm sure the limestone has been dated as many millions of years old.

Does it not make more sense that the 1 million year old limestone was smothered with the ocean mud from a comet impact nearer the present day? This would account for the flatness and lack of any river valleys. Does anyone agree with this middle ground argument?

• 2 months later...

Discussion continued from a different thread - http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=222563&st=105

NW will send you a pm and I hope you will then leave this alone for now as you really do not know what is happening in the real world, have some respect for people and trust.

No, Tia. I am through with the cloak and dagger stuff. I would prefer if our communications are all in the public sphere now. You are in no position to lecture me about “what is happening in the real world”.

Also to however said I see them all the time I never said that, I said I have numerous encounters that does not mean seeing them, more vocalisations and games etc.

... more misidentifications and games, etc.

Is there a single word which encompasses hoaxing, confabulation, false reporting, pranking, exaggeration, misrepresentation, etc? Because combined these are the major source of hairy man reports. It's a problem perpetuated by many "researchers" and their followers, not just the general public, and for a wide variety of reasons. Hence, it is the major problem for cryptozoology as a whole.

The word you are looking for is fake.

The word you are looking for is fake.

I use the term fakery sometimes - the act of faking (or the product of faking) usually in conjunction with storytelling - the conveying of events in words, images and sounds, often by improvisation or embellishment but actually prefer shenanigans - 1.Secret or dishonest activity or maneuvering; 2.Silly or high-spirited behavior; mischief to encompass both elements although I am still searching for a better fit.

Illusion - 1.A false idea or belief; 2.A deceptive appearance or impression

Illusory - Produced by, based on, or having the nature of an illusion; deceptive

Yowie/Bigfoot is illusive not elusive. In order to understand Yowie/Bigfoot we need to first get a better grasp of the people who claim to see/experience/know about it. Understanding Bigfoot in this way is problematic because of the number and diversity of factions and personalities (truly a tangled web) while in Oz the web is still tangled there are only 2 factions - both with their origins in the New Age movement of the early to mid 70s - and only perhaps a dozen or so key players which makes for an interesting case study on the (sub-)culture of Yowie Research.