Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why is it kids always see the weird stuff

mataroki

rumor and wives tale say that kids have a purity that let them see ghosts n monsters and faeries and what not,but are they seriously seeing these things,or is it just therre imagination?

My opinion, it is just imagination. People just want to believe that stuff about purity, and that they (children) haven't been away from the spirit world long enough to have the "gift" leave them. Or that people keep telling kids stuff isn't real, then they can't see it anymore. It's just wishful thinking. We all do it, sometimes. Kids are great at it because their suspension of disbelief is so high.

My step-son hasn't claimed to see faries or anything. But in our old apartment when he kept talking about a little indian boy bothering him in his room...i def. took that seriously. Considering odd crap always happened there. did some research after hearing neighbors having similar crap happening to them and turns out that some native americans did inhabit that area some time ago. So i thought that was kind of cool.

/cool story bro..i know

Always seemed to me that if they do see stuff, it's either their imaginations or they haven't yet been socialized enough to believe it doesn't exist.

My opinion, it is just imagination. People just want to believe that stuff about purity, and that they (children) haven't been away from the spirit world long enough to have the "gift" leave them. Or that people keep telling kids stuff isn't real, then they can't see it anymore. It's just wishful thinking. We all do it, sometimes. Kids are great at it because their suspension of disbelief is so high.

Very well articulated!

rumor and wives tale say that kids have a purity that let them see ghosts n monsters and faeries and what not,but are they seriously seeing these things,or is it just therre imagination?

Combine a untethered imagination with an incomplete understanding of the world around them with a willingness to believe any theory that seems most interesting and you have the reason why kids see these things.

very good arguments :3

ive always been a little wirerded out when kid sis say she talked to a ghost guy in her room xD

scared the crap out of me,made me think mebe some guy got in her room :3

bu then i researched and stuff and found all those OLD OLD OLD OLD OLD OLD OLD tales about purity and stuf and wanted other opinions ^^

I don't believe that children have a better ability to grasp or sense the paranormal. I do believe, however, that because children do not experience embarrassment or disbelief in the same way that adults that have been integrated into society do, they are more likely to tell people what they have experienced if they do see something for real while adults titter and awkwardly cast the notion of otherworldly beings to the side.

I don't believe that children have a better ability to grasp or sense the paranormal. I do believe, however, that because children do not experience embarrassment or disbelief in the same way that adults that have been integrated into society do, they are more likely to tell people what they have experienced if they do see something for real while adults titter and awkwardly cast the notion of otherworldly beings to the side.

these are both very good arguments. personally, i believe sort of a cross of the two. i believe that kids do tend to have more active imaginations, and can get carried away sometimes. for example, if i hear a tapping at the window, i tend to attribute it to something like a tree branch scratching up against it, while a child might envision a man trying to get in [especially since the shadows of tree branches can look like hands sometimes]. on the other hand, Lithane makes a good point in saying that children are not yet integrated into society the way adults are, and therefore dont necessarily know what is socially acceptable and what is not [ie, children are more likely to jump to conclusions about an event rather than think through the events logically and brush the event off as something normal, like the tree/hand example]. pair that with the embarrassment factor that adults tend to have more than children, and youve got yourself a child going off about the ghost they just saw, or at least what the child believes to be a ghost.

very good arguments :3

ive always been a little wirerded out when kid sis say she talked to a ghost guy in her room xD

scared the crap out of me,made me think mebe some guy got in her room :3

bu then i researched and stuff and found all those OLD OLD OLD OLD OLD OLD OLD tales about purity and stuf and wanted other opinions ^^

I agree it really scares me when I hear stories of "imaginary friends" and kids seeing stuff.

Edited by hoosier girl

The famous Medium James Van Praaph states that children are far more sensitive to the other side than Humans. However looking back at me, I didn't believe in ghost when i was a Child.

So clearly, I wasn't subject to something invisible. But I have friends claiming that their imaginary friend when they were a child were real and could see them, as we see each other. As in their imagination could literally manifest before them.

It is the question regarding if a Child has that much power of imagination to be able to physically see something they have created within their minds.

Edited by SolidSnake

Well put, but that still wouldn't keep me from watching a child a little more closely to see if some of the things panned out - personally, in the past few years I have noticed a lot of kids back in the states mentioning strange things a lot more, and at later ages than I would have expected....Maybe I've been at war too long and it's made me even more paranoid, but then again, maybe my people- watching skills have just grown. At any rate, Paul hit that on the head.

• 2 weeks later...

I think kids "see things" for 2 main reasons. One is, as you mention, their over-active imaginations. The other reason is their inability to accurately perceive and identify what they see. Kids see strange lighting or shadows or some such thing and the first thing that jumps in their mind is "GHOST!" whereas I see the same thing and the first thing that pops in my mind is "car headlight".

Edited by Test Subject

my daughter has been telling me for years she see's ghosts..............i use to catch her playing with her tea set like she was really sitting and having a conversation with someone(although i do realize this is also a great imagination and make believe play).....i'm not sure......she doesn't say it as much any more.......makes you wonder though :hmm:

Edited by cluey

well it is my personal belief in the supernatural that led me to this theory it is that children see things that may or may not be their and are more willing to believe it but if your sonj or daughter say's with no doubt in their voice they saw something they did but to answer the question it is a great deal of imagination

I Think Children Are More Sensitive Then Adults, for There Mind Has Not Been Fully Programed To Disbelieve There Intuitive Knowing, and To See Paranormal Things as Crazy" Impossible".People even sensitive people tend to get closed off from the other side, because of older peoples one sided view.You tend to view things with how your raised to, and when you grow up cling on deeper to the common views of those around you as a child, or you let your self step out from the shadow of others beliefs.Some kids invisible friends(spirits, etc) may be what ye is not open to. Or it could be a form of dealing with a lonely childhood and creating something only known in there heart. Or it may be a thought form. Many view points exist. But I'm not saying all kids are sensitive to these stuff, but that they hold the gift more so then adults. Dare to believe in the unseen, but see with spirit of heart. ;)

Edited by Blooded_Butterfly

Twice I have seen what I can only describe as a shapeless, colourless,it seemed to be a sort of black but it was more as if whatever it was,was absorbing all light and not reflecting any colour at all,both times it disappeared into the undergrowth.Very hard to explain.The second time I saw it the first thing that I thought was "Blackbird",which was absolutely ridiculus,as this shape was the size of a wild boar,which was what I was trying to track at the time.It was as if I'd seen something that I could not logically explain,so my mind just gave out the first thing it could think of !,very,very weird.I have no explaination of this at all, it was really very strange to "hear" your brain trying to give a rational explanation to something so odd.

• 3 weeks later...

+1, it is just imagination, they see to many movies or hear to many tales. Its also just natural for them to believe in things and be afraid of the dark and isolation which causes them (not intentionally) to create and conjure up what they see as ghosts etc.

Edited by varanus

My son believes in many things including Santa, the Easter bunny, tooth fairy, Pokemon, and transformers. He has spent hours watching cars go by looking for autobots and decepticons. Children are not small adults. Teachers understand this when they teach young children. A child's understanding of the world is not an adults.

I use the word 'legend' to describe things that are fictional. If either of my kids asks if ghosts are real I tell them, "Not sure. I think they are legends." I say the same when discussing Tom Sawyer.

He's only 8 and it speeds up the reading to avoid discussing whether or not cannons can raise drowned bodies, dead cats can be used to remove warts, searching for hainted houses, etc.

Are children more in tune with the paranormal? I don't think so. It's a matter of having less experience, less knowledge, and more importantly thinking different than an adult.

I think kids "see things" for 2 main reasons. One is, as you mention, their over-active imaginations. The other reason is their inability to accurately perceive and identify what they see. Kids see strange lighting or shadows or some such thing and the first thing that jumps in their mind is "GHOST!" whereas I see the same thing and the first thing that pops in my mind is "car headlight".

I agree. I think it's the same reason why animals are "so susceptible to paranormal activity". Animals can hear something strange but because they lack something called a human brain and the ability to use logic, they freak out over it. Same thing with kids. I can't tell you how many times I've heard kids asking me to turn on a night light, they're afraid of a monster, etc. I still get scared sometimes over stupid crap, and I'm 22 years old. Imagine what it's like for a 5-year old kid whose brain is nowhere near as sophisticated as mine.

I'm not sure what is true, but this is my experience. I had an hour to kill and decided to swing by the cemetery to "visit" a friend who was buried there. I had my 3 year old son with me and he has NEVER been to a cemetery before. When I stopped the car, my son said he was scared. I asked him why and he said there was someone standing under the tree next to the car. I could not see anyone and got chills down my back. I asked if it was a mommy (female) or a daddy (male) and he said it was a daddy. I did not get out of the car and decided to leave. I told my son to wave good-bye to the person under the tree and he said they were waving back at him. I live near Gettysburg PA and go to the battlefield quite frequently. Gettysburg is said to be one of the most haunted placed in the U.S. My son has never felt uneasy or saw anything in Gettysburg, so I don't know if he is more sensitive or not or if his experience in the cememtery was just a freak incident.

It is my belief that it may not be the paranormal that children may be seeing, but their imagination creating entities in order to entertain, or compensate for lack of memories. My parents tell me frequently about my 'angel', as i called him. According to them, I used to talk about a man that flashed and flew like a bird, that would talk to me and never left. In the present, I take that experience as a figment of a young child's imagination, to entertain himself as well as create companionship. Therefore, I find that my explanation to be applicable to other situations as well.

In a friend of mine's old house there was a completely uninteresting corner of the living room that her daughter always used to stare at, saying that there was a man there. On separate occasions - so one couldn't have influenced the other - their cat would also stare at the exact same spot.

So on this evidence I have two choices... there are some things that 'simpler' minds pick up on and we do not, or there are certain fluctuations in light and atmosphere that they find fascinating and we do not.

I'm not sure which one I believe. I have always found stone tape theory the most plausible explanation for ghosts, the idea that certain images are somehow imprinted on our surroundings and played back to us when the circumstances are right. Perhaps children are most susceptible to these 'broadcasts'?